Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

DIY Maintenance gurus please chime in. WHERE TO GREASE / LUBE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default DIY Maintenance gurus please chime in. WHERE TO GREASE / LUBE?

Hi guys. I want to know all the different moving parts where the car needs to be greased/lubed up.

I have searched titles only for "grease" and "lube" and didn't find anything.

Please help me come up with a list....

ALSO if you know that a certain type of grease should NOT be used, let me know!

I know the service manual says to use lithium soap base grease.

1. doors, latches, hinges. Obvious.

After this I'm not sure what to grease.

2. Propeller shaft?
3. steering linkage?
4. parking brake spring etc?
5. What about suspension components? I guess I can lube sway bars, what about shocks or end-links?
6. Axles?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Quijano187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds interesting? bump!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont believe there are any zerk fittings on the Z. For any that dont know, a zerk fitting is where u attach a grease gun.---Quess the guy that invented it had a name that got him teased in elementary school.
White Lithium Grease in a spray can is a safe,clean lube that clings well plus it comes with a tube extention that gets into tough places.(clutch springs,Hinges etc) I use a synthetic silicon Hi Temp grease for brake assys. (sliders,slider bolts etc) Never hurts to spray ur steering universal,Rack and Pinion threaded ends etc --mainly to fight off rust. A little Dielectric grease is good for elec conections and Battery posts, thats mainly to fight corrosion and waterproofs.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Yeah I looked at my steering column under the hood (at least thats what I think I was looking at) and it was a little rusty. no cause for concern though, right?

E***zzy sounds like you're pretty knowledgable, can you elaborate more on grease points?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Yeah I looked at my steering column under the hood (at least thats what I think I was looking at) and it was a little rusty. no cause for concern though, right?

E***zzy sounds like you're pretty knowledgable, can you elaborate more on grease points?
Well --Yes and no on the steering universal. Yes on the standpoint thats its nice to keep something lubed u may have to take apart some day and the elimination of surface rust. No on the stand point that its not a life threatning situation.
As far as my knowlege or lack of it on grease points I will have to think about it ---I tend to just run amok with the lubes when my car is in the air. But if I think of something thats really important I will let u'all know. Every thing is sealed now days so major maintenance is pretty simple. I personally dont think that is neccesarily a good thing cuz people spend less time under there cars just chkin things.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
I dont believe there are any zerk fittings on the Z. For any that dont know, a zerk fitting is where u attach a grease gun.---Quess the guy that invented it had a name that got him teased in elementary school.
White Lithium Grease in a spray can is a safe,clean lube that clings well plus it comes with a tube extention that gets into tough places.(clutch springs,Hinges etc) I use a synthetic silicon Hi Temp grease for brake assys. (sliders,slider bolts etc) Never hurts to spray ur steering universal,Rack and Pinion threaded ends etc --mainly to fight off rust. A little Dielectric grease is good for elec conections and Battery posts, thats mainly to fight corrosion and waterproofs.
+1...I was under the assumption that the Z, as with most new cars, has sealed joints where any grease would be applicable.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Eazzy

Thats right ---everything is sealed. As I said there are no zerk fittings anywhere. Too bad because I like having the control over what I grease. But thats "progress"
Sealed wheel brgs are cool but when they are ready to go u better do it quick.
Its just a good idea that when ur car is in the air u give a few shakes like U-joints and wheel brgs to se if there is any slop.
Contrary to belief for example on a sealed hub assy. or spindle if the rim is off and u can spin it easily its starting to dry out, a new spindle will be tight and a little difficult to spin.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

So am I to understand that with a few exceptions, the Z is pretty much maintenance free with regards to grease?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Eazzy

You understand correctly --- I JUST cant think of anything that needs to be greased---Someone correct me if Im wrong. Only grease fittings I have on mine are the Kinetix Susp. stuff
Old 09-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You understand correctly --- I JUST cant think of anything that needs to be greased---Someone correct me if Im wrong. Only grease fittings I have on mine are the Kinetix Susp. stuff
your correct, most new cars wont need to be greased. If you have an aftermarket sway bar set-up you should grease that every month or so I would say.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

+1..What he said.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of making a new topic, I thought the info would be good in one place!

I need to know WHERE on the 5th bow of a roadster vinyl top needs to be greased & what grease should I use? Aerosol or tube grease?