Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2006 Z Roadster 3500 miles - brakes squealing BAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006 | 11:37 AM
banker69

Default 2006 Z Roadster 3500 miles - brakes squealing BAD

I have the Brembo brakes and they're squealing like HELL. it's only when i'm going under 5-10 mph. I thought it may be brake dust, rinsed that out...wasn't the case. Does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? I don't know jack about brakes, but I do know that they shouldn't be worn down after only 3500 miles!
Old 09-29-2006 | 11:58 AM
mavtais

Try differing brake pressures. Usually brake squeal doesn't have to do with your speed, but with how much brake pressure you put down. Mine squealed after 13,000 miles when I used light pressure. Under harder braking, they were quiet.
No matter what, make sure you can replicate it, and then take it in to the dealer. Brakes are not supposed to squeal this early. Squealing is caused usually by a wear indicator that lets you know your brakes are getting low.
Old 09-29-2006 | 12:31 PM
banker69

Being a Z owner, i'm sure you know how strong those brakes are, so if i hit them any harder at that speed i'll screech to a halt. i have noticed that it's something that's gotten much more frequent. it started as a once in awhile thing, now it's every time i'm going under 10 MPH.
Old 09-29-2006 | 01:09 PM
FairladyZX

i think it's those 99 cents oem brake pads u need to replace. i bought some HAWKS from pep boys and put them on the noise is gone
Old 09-29-2006 | 06:20 PM
nissannation

Originally Posted by mavtais
Try differing brake pressures. Usually brake squeal doesn't have to do with your speed, but with how much brake pressure you put down. Mine squealed after 13,000 miles when I used light pressure. Under harder braking, they were quiet.
No matter what, make sure you can replicate it, and then take it in to the dealer. Brakes are not supposed to squeal this early. Squealing is caused usually by a wear indicator that lets you know your brakes are getting low.
I work at Connell Nissan in So. Cal. Costa Mesa, as a tech there we don't normally do anything about brake squeals unless it's so bad it makes your ears bleed. If it squeeks on very light application where you can just barely hear it with A/C off, Radio off, Window rolled down, dealer won't do anything about it.

I work on Chevrolet's and Nissans....alot of the new C6 Corvette owners come in all the time complaining about the breaks making noise...If they are really persistant in wanting the squeaking to go away we tell them the truth about high performance sports cars such as 350z's and Corvettes...The car is meant to be driven AGGRESSIVELY therefore if you aren't hard on the brakes and you drive your SPORTS car like an old lady with a Buick, they will make noise.

Usually what causes the real bad brake squealing noise is the rotor being out of round with a lot of run-out. For example, the new 05-06 Chevrolet Silverado's with the return of the rear drum's have break squealing problems because of the changed brake booster for 05-06 models...it's causing the pads to apply to the rotor even when not braking so it squeals really bad.

Point is that if your brakes are squealing so bad to the point that you can hear it even when blasting your music, then yes the dealer will replace your pads and rotors if needed, otherwise if they are making noise on very very light application they won't do anything about it.

2cents