Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

oil change procedure........

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:34 PM
john350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change and oil filter change procedure........

does anyone here have a step-by-step write-up on oil changing and oil filter changing with PICS of the step-by-step.

going to do an oil change soon.

thanx,
john

Last edited by john350Z; 03-11-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Z'd

well, no pix of this task, but it isn't too difficult.
If you get the car up off the ground- drive on ramps are preferable, you only have to deal with the plastic air shield. If your oil/ filter has been previously changed, you can get by with dropping about 4 10mm bolts out of the right rear corner of the shield. That will allow you to bend it down slightly to get at the oil filter and the drain plug is right below it.
If it is your 1st change, take out all the 10mm bolts- (about a dozen or so) and rotate the shield on the retaining clip that remains. You will need to do this to tackle the factory install of the original oil filter (very tight).
If you only wanted to change the oil, there is already an opening in the shield in precisely the right location to access the drain bolt.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil changes arent difficult at all... but go see how much oil and a filter is, then consider that you have to have ramps or stands, also you must remove the skid plate atleast partially, and must open and dispose of the oil without getting it all over yourself. and not dumping it in the grass or down the drain.

then realize oil changes cost between 20-30$.

some things are not worth the work... IMO oil changes are one of them, I do everything myself as long as Im able, and I have done oil changes in the past, but they really are not worth while.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Zmoney

Originally posted by ares
oil changes arent difficult at all... but go see how much oil and a filter is, then consider that you have to have ramps or stands, also you must remove the skid plate atleast partially, and must open and dispose of the oil without getting it all over yourself. and not dumping it in the grass or down the drain.

then realize oil changes cost between 20-30$.

some things are not worth the work... IMO oil changes are one of them, I do everything myself as long as Im able, and I have done oil changes in the past, but they really are not worth while.

I totally agree as long as you have someone reptuable doing the work. Some of these drive up places are flaky. There is piece of mind doing the work yourself.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:13 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your correct there, I found myself a place where I see the mechanics cars and know they like cars, I come back to the same guy everytime, he lets me stand in the garage and talk and watch.

its very worth while to find a good mechanic and always use them, they will take care in doing your work. even if you do your own oil changes, never know when youll need a bolt loosened with an airgun, or a weld for something. alot of time theyll do it for free.