Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch pedal stuck...can't shift gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006 | 06:04 PM
antifreeze33

Default Clutch pedal stuck...can't shift gears

In addition to my third gear grind, my z's 6-speed transmission has recently offered me another bit of fun to deal with. This time I was driving home from work (not hard driving by any means) and as I was pulling into my neighborhood, I pushed the clutch in to change gears and the clutch just stayed fully depressed... At first I thought it had caught on the floor mat, but after a bit more investigation I found that it flops back and forth with very little resistance. Is the slave or master cylinder busted, or is something else wrong? I'm not looking forward to calling the flatbed tomorrow morning to take my z into the dealership.....
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2006 | 06:05 PM
jonny407

Is your clutch fluid low?
Old 10-09-2006 | 06:25 PM
antifreeze33

The resevoir was a little below the 'min' line so I topped it off to be sure but still no luck
Old 10-09-2006 | 08:49 PM
phenix

Seems like your grinding and clutch problems are related. First shot would be low clutch fluid which you did have... There is no good reason for it to be low so you probably have a leak somewhere. That allowed air in the system, thus no pressure with which to operate the clutch. You need to check for and repair the leak and BLEED the clutch.
Old 10-10-2006 | 06:37 PM
jonny407

After you topped it off, it was fully depressed? Pull the clutch pedal back with your hand then try to pump it up until you feel some pressure. finding your clutch fluid at a low level is not good. This could be a sign of a leak somewhere. Even with a slow leak, topping off the fluid and pumping the clutch should bring some pressure up enough to get you home. I've had to scoop a small amount from the break fluid res to get home a few times in one of my older z's

Last edited by jonny407; 10-11-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2006 | 08:46 AM
purzzz

This happened to me yesterday! my roadster's clutch stuck at 4600 rpm between 1st and 2nd, would not release until i pumped it like old time brakes, it continued to burn for 30 seconds until it came loose. Nice Scary smell to go with it. I only have 1600 miles on this car & My dealer is interested in ANYone else who has experienced a sticking/stuck clutch, including what dealer you took it to for inspection and/or repair. MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE, you are without power and helpless when this happens. Please send personal message with your dealer name, much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by purzzz; 10-11-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2006 | 09:44 AM
InsaneChink

the same thing happened to me a few months back. Towed it to the dealership and they found that the clutch was completely gone... but they found a defect and replaced it under warranty. i agree, it was definitely a safety issue, the clutch should not get COMLPETELY stuck to the floor.
Old 10-12-2006 | 08:45 AM
snowtoad

Well, I took it into the nissan dealer (via a flatbed tow) and they told me that the component that interfaces with the slave cylinder snapped off. Parts are supposed to come in tomorrow, but the tranny has to be removed to fix the issue. Meanwhile I'm reminded of my college days as I have been forced to bum rides off of everyone I know. The clutch was getting near the point of replacement so maybe this is the best time take care of that as well. W/O replacement clutch or synthetic tranny fluid costs, this is going to run me in the neighborhood of $600. I will post again when I finally get my ride back....
Old 10-12-2006 | 08:23 PM
racenu

From my mechanical experiences (not with my Z) theres a reason why things break, you should ask the dealer why why why did the part break, get them to inspect the hell out of the car, engine or tranny mounts?? otherwise you may be back bummin rides when the part breaks again?