Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems
View Poll Results: Does your 350z have paint chips on front?
My 350z paint has had chips since 1000 miles or more
87.94%
1000++ Miles and my 350z is without one single paint chip
12.06%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Paint Chipping on Front

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 05:47 PM
spacemanspiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13,000 miles, front is primarily getting small scratches versus chips.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Question Scratches and not chips

What color Z do you have? Do you have orange peel??
Old 05-11-2003, 06:28 PM
sluggo20031

I have 4900 miles on my car and the front has about 1000 pits in it. This paint is lame. My wifes Honda has 50,000 miles on it and there might be 10.

No exaggerations here either.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 AM
sifuK

i got a big chip and i only have 200 miles on my white Z

its on the side skirts and the paint seems really thin.

i think i stepped on that part by accident.

i weigh only 120 lbs. Is this supposed to happen?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Default I don't think so

I don't think any of this is supposed to happen. I'm still waiting on my appointment to get my car inspected again.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:16 AM
cookiesncream

I have a brickyard with 6K miles. The paint in the front is chipped extensively. I plan to make a formal complaint. Everyone please continue to post your results.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:19 PM
ezee

Originally posted by 6kLaunch
I installed the clear bra right after I bought it. I don't have a single chip.
I installed a clear bra when the car was 5 days old and with over 8200 miles the Z has zero paint chips, hood and front bumper look great. People complain it costs too much, but as the Fram guy says, you can pay me now or pay me later (when you need to have the front end repainted) and in the meantime the front of the car looks awful from all the chips. Clear bra is great, but get it while the car is new, protect your Z.

Last edited by ezee; 05-18-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:41 AM
Jester350Z

Default Paint chipping

I just got my Z a few weeks ago, but I think I know why the cars are so prone to chipping. Now maybe this is just on my car but Nissan only sprayed the paint on the top of the hood and just enough to get the sliver of the side. I have almost no overspray or even paint on the underside of my hood. There is only a "primer" type of sealed paint. Most manufacturers spray the whole part. I feel Nissan was using very small calculated amount of paint. In other words, less layers, so it is less resistant to an impact from an object. The quality of the paint may also be an issue, but I don't know enough about that...

Well just my thoughts...
Old 05-29-2003, 08:57 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Default Chips and Orange Peel

I finally got an appointment with an official Nissan inspector tomorrow. I found out that the dealership never did get someone external to inspect it before, which is annoying. I will let you know how it goes!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:51 AM
toykilla

what are my chances of getting my bumper repainted my nissan? and what steps do i need to take? Judging from the numbers of people having this problem, it is definitely a manufacturing defect. Maybe getting lawyer involved? (i really hate that thought )

btw.. i also have a chip on the passenger door.. no dent just a chip..
Old 06-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Urb

Default BINGO!

I think Jester nailed it. I am not a Z owner, but have looked at a number of them at various dealerships. When I looked under the hood, the paint ending right at the edge of the hood was one of the first things I noticed. Terrible. That differece in color (Silverstone is rediculous) is like a slap to the facepiece. This paint thing coupled with all of the other problems stemming from "crappy engineering" and cost saving ideas makes me embarassed to be a Z fan. Goddam French.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Red face Update to case

My update is that I'm waiting... My car was inspected by a Nissan inspector who told the dealship nothing... They said it would be several days before the results would be given to me.

The service manager was telling me that I really didn't want my whole car repainted, which I can sort of understand. But, he is working with me, which is good.

So, I'm waiting... *yawn*
Old 06-09-2003, 07:37 PM
markt71Z

Less than 300 miles on mine and I discovered one on the front bumper. Thought it was a bug splatter but on closer inspection saw it was a chip. That first one really hurts. She ain't a virgin anymore.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:23 PM
zjedi

Default Same Complaints

The same complaints are coming out of the sentra forum:

Tons of chips are cars that are only a few months old:

http://www.b15sentra.net

Nissan owners need to take this issue to the press and let them be our voice
Old 06-16-2003, 01:42 PM
max350

The paint chipping issue is not new to Nissan. My 95 Maxima is peppered with rock chips in the front end. My 350Z has about 3 or 4 so far. I have no doubt, by the time my Z reaches 8 years, it'll look like the front end of my Maxima.

So the conclusion is: Get a bra or get use to the chips. I'd be surprised if Nissan would take any action.

BTW, has anyone checked to see if previous generation Z's have this problem?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Montez

Dunno about previous Z's but the 00-03 Maxima guys are complaining as well and have a class action out on Nissan. Since 95 Nissans paint has been very subpar IMO.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Angry

Okay, Nissan officially is doing double speak... A week and a half ago my new rep said she'd call me back and nothing. The dealer just faxed me a copy of the report. It says that my orange peel is all over my damn car... BUT all the other Z's at the dealship have the orange peel too. At the end it says "No Problem Found" This is a load of horse feces. Now, because they are not admitting any quilt on their part, after clearly documenting the problem, I'm planning on taking this all the way. Once I talk to Nissan, I'll know my next plan of action. Anyone one to join in on this battle!?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:43 PM
travis9_350z

Im glad to see this thread, as I thought I was the only one...

My car has about 2500 Miles on it, and I'm very carefull to not follow other cars too close, etc, its Chrome Silver.

I have many chips all over the car, in non direct areas. Side of the Door chips, in places a rock, or a door ding would not hit. Under the mirrors. On the hatch. Etc, Etc, Etc.

I would like to also point out, that one chip on my driver side door, directly below the mirror, went all the way to the body. Through the clear coat, through the paint, through the primer. That, is pathetic. Morover, the paint looks to be about 1/3 of a MM thick from inspection of this chip. I have mentioned my issue to the dealer, and I intend on contacting nissan.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Had my DB 350z 5 months today, 6300 miles. The front of my car looks like it was sandblasted to the point whee the shine is gone, expecially on the painted lip inder the front air dam. I have several larger and deeper chips and a few nicks on the hood. I owned 3 sports cars before this and none ever got to the point where my Z is in 5 months in 5+ years of driving.

I made a complaint last weekend when I went to the dealship for an oil change about the chipping. First I got alot of garbage talk from the service rep but the manager said he will put an inspector in touch with me. He called me back in 2 days with a name and place to take my car to get it looked at. Its actually the dealerships collision repair center. I will be stopping by next week to get it looked at, I will keep you guys updated.

My car is getting so bad its embarrassing. I am about ready to throw on a black bra! I waxed my car last week and when I got to the front bumper I litterally felt sick to my stomach. After I waxed it, it looked SOOO bad with all the wax stuck in the holes. The car looked like it had 200k HWY miles on it with the wax showing the location of every pit! I felt so sick.

If Nissan repaints it I am gonna see if they will pay for a clear bra, or split the cost. My goal is to get a bumper painting for them to pay for the clear bra. But I'll settle for a re-paint and i will pay for the bra.

I shouldn't be dealing with this at 6k miles
Old 06-22-2003, 05:56 PM
mb27

Hey Daytona, what dealership did you go to? I'm in MA as well with a black Z. I have a clear bra which has taken a beating from driving 90 miles a day on RT 495. The paint on these cars sucks. I have so many little nicks and scratches elswhere it's pathetic. I too know that sick to your stomach feeling. Washing your sportscar should make you feel good, dammit!

Quick Reply: Paint Chipping on Front