Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems
View Poll Results: Does your 350z have paint chips on front?
My 350z paint has had chips since 1000 miles or more
87.94%
1000++ Miles and my 350z is without one single paint chip
12.06%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Paint Chipping on Front

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 07:15 PM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint the back half?? WTF.. is there some kinda japanese translation problems.. maybe that is why we cant get this crap resolved...or even acknowledged for that matter
Old 07-02-2003, 07:58 PM
350z03

Originally posted by edouglas
Well after 6 months Nissan agreed to paint the back half off my car. I told them they are crazy and how was this going too solve the issues I had on the front of the car.... Nissan is sorry and not willing to help. I traded the car in on a vette today. Good luck to everyone else.
How much did you lose?

Black Track
Old 07-03-2003, 07:05 AM
edouglas

Originally posted by 350z03
How much did you lose?

Black Track
The car had 1800 miles on it and I lost $6000.00. I tried to get the dealship I bought the car from (Southern States Nissan In Raleigh, NC) to get me a new car. With 1600 miles on the car they wanted $5000.00 and my car for another car that was exactly the same. Some dealership they are... I couldn't believe how much value the car lost in such a short time.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:08 AM
edouglas

Originally posted by toykilla
paint the back half?? WTF.. is there some kinda japanese translation problems.. maybe that is why we cant get this crap resolved...or even acknowledged for that matter
If you call consumer affairs they will tell you everything you want to hear. They just won't back it up...

They did tell me they haven't changed the paint or painting procedures since they started producing the 350 and have no plans to change anytime soon.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:23 AM
toykilla

well i just got hit by an tire tread off an 18 wheeler, so i am having to replace my bumper...i dont think nissan will be getting my business for painting it though
Old 07-05-2003, 10:00 AM
edouglas

Originally posted by toykilla
well i just got hit by an tire tread off an 18 wheeler, so i am having to replace my bumper...i dont think nissan will be getting my business for painting it though
That sucks!!!! I wouldn't have Nissan paint it. This is probably a good thing. Now you can have it painted with some good paint and you shouldn't have the chipping problems.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Post Update to BBB case

The BBB Auto Line contacted me to send in all my documentation on the issue, financing information, contacts, etc. So, now I am waiting for a Nissan representative to call me back on the issue. The BBB Auto Line states if they do not offer an acceptable resolution, then I can take this to arbitration, which I most certainly will. I'm also adding this newsgroup as additional documentation on the extent of this paint issue. I will keep you all posted!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:06 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Good Freakin' luck! At least with getting a response from Nissan NA's Customer support reps...they really suck. I have dealt with 3 different reps so far over a 7 month period on the SAME damn issue, and 2 quit in the process of trying to resolve my claim. When these reps left, they left me hanging, and never passed my info on to any other rep, so I had to call and open new files, and explain the whole situation over 2 times, and essentially start from ground zero again (TWICE !). The rep I have now hasn't contacted me in over a month, and won't return my calls. I have sent pictures, had 2 dealerships call on my behalf, and no one wants to do anything. I am going to have to pay a lawyer to get anything done here, as Nissan is now playing hardball. This will be my first AND last Nissan, as I refuse to deal with crap like this ever again, no matter how great the car is--THIS IS NOT WORTH IT !

Yes, I am fed up...and I will be getting a lawyer soon. I will sue for a total paint job from a professional who will do the job right, and can paint a car that is not covered with orange peel, and where the paint is not so fragile that a bug hit on the front, chips the paint...
Old 07-16-2003, 10:11 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint

after reading all the posts on paint problems, i went over the front of my redline really carefully, and only found one pin-head sized dent in the plastic bumper- probably a small rock impact. But, the paint just dented, not cracked.

No chips on the hood or fenders. 2100 miles in one month of driving. One very small chip in the windshield from a small rock impact while on the hiway. VIN 113531 if this means anything...
AZ is hotter than .... right now, so the paint may be more forgiving and flexible when it is 115 degrees....
Old 07-17-2003, 10:48 AM
supirio

I'm getting Redline within a week, I'm scared Guess I'll go clear bra
Old 07-17-2003, 11:03 AM
onecoolee

Some words of advice for your Redline...

Install the Factory Nosemask temporarily to protect you on your drive home and until you get the clear bra installed. I suggest getting to the clearbra place within Days (not weeks) of obtaining your new ride. Make your appointment with the Clearbra installer ASAP, or you will be making another appointment to have the front painted before visiting the clearbra installer...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:38 PM
UofK350Z

Same problems you guys are having with my chrome silver Z. It only has 2500 miles on it and there are numerous chips. I had a Black cherokee for 4 years before this, and I made many trips from NJ to KY and my Z has more chips on it now than my jeep did.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:45 PM
supirio

Thanks for the advice, when I know what day I'm picking the car up I'm making an appointment for the clear bra same day, quick question for the "cure" period, can I drive my car while its curing if not I can borrow one I think.. lemme know thanks man
Old 07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
onecoolee

Default FINALLY !

I received a call from my 4th Nissan NA rep today. After being forced to threaten with a lawyer about poor workmanship, and materials, I got word today that Nissan is going to repair my Z. My initial claim was for excessive orange peel, a hair in the paint on the rear bumper, poor rear bumper fit, and waviness in the rear bumper.

Supposedly, Nissan is going to replace the bumper, repaint it and look into the orange peel issue. I am hoping to get them to repaint the front bumper at the same time but the repairs will be up to the body shop at the dealership. I was told that all repairs will be covered undder warranty, so I have my fingers crossed that my excessive chipping on the front will be worked into the same warranty claim.

I will report back with my success, and I will probably try to get it in for repair soon, before Nissan changes their mind...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:29 AM
rahilio

just filed a complaint to the bbb about excessive rock chips and nicks
Old 08-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Hot Guy No Lie

Cool BBB Arbitration: Hot Guy No Lie vrs. Nissan

I had my hearing through the BBB this week. There was a neutral arbitrator, the BBB representative, and a Nissan representative on the phone. The Nissan representative wants the case dropped and I am seeking this orange peel and chipping to be treated as a warranty issue. They did look at the car, and the last thing that needs to be done is have a professional independent inspector look at the car next week.

Get this everyone. I used this forum as evidence of the extent of the issues!!!

I will keep you posted on the Hot Guy No Lie vrs. Nissan arbitration.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
onecoolee

My issues are similar, but I haven't stepped up the heat yet. Nissan is going to fix my rear bumper fit problems and hair in the paint issues by installing a new rear bumper and painting it. As for my other issues, Nissan has now told me that they are totally seperate from this claim, which all along was not the case...I had opened 1 file with all of these issues tied togehter, but now they are seperate. So, I guess its 1 issue at a time. I am waiting for the dealership to call mew when the parts arrive, but it looks like nissan parts for the Z are hard to come by right now...

On another note, I may be able to get some coverage due to an unfortunate (possibly fortuante) mishap from earlier this week. I was driving up I83 here in Pennsylvania, when a large dumptruck which happened to be uncovered and very full of fine gravel passed me going about 75 mph. My Z got dusted with gravel pebbles and I encountered at least 15-20 chips as a result of this incident. So, I got the license plate, and tried to get the driver, who happened to be a woman to pull over, but she refused. I followed her to her destiantion about 5 miles from my house. I stopepd there yesterday to get insurance info, but no one was there. I am going to report the incident to the state police today, and see if they can provide a business address for me. I already contacted my insuracne company, and they told me that they would cover the damage from this incident, if the trucking firm refused, but he also told me that trucking companies pay claims of this nature everyday without any major issue, so I am goign to investigate, and at the very least get my hood and bumper painted, adn possibly have a new windshield installed.

As soon as my baby is restored I will be getting some sort of clearbra installed, as I am tired of screwing with Nissans crummy paint. The $800 investmetn in a clearbra will pay for itself in lack of headaches in a years time. As it stands right now, my Z looks like someone took a 12 guage and blasted it a couple times...and I am pissed. People jsut don't have any respect for other people who truly care about the looks of their vehicle--its sad !
Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Drumtemp

I did a search on Yahoo the other day using "paint chip touch up" as the search words (I've got a small chip on my hood).
One site that came up was a Lexus forum in the U.K. Seems a number of Lexus owners were complaining heavily about the poor paint on their vehicles and how easily the paint chips...sound familiar?
What really caught my attention was several of the owners mentioned a Lexus web site advertisement/claim of using an anti-chip type paint on all of their vehicles! To which all owners replied: B**s***!
Not knowing for sure, it sounds like ALL new car owners are getting reamed with poor quality paint thanks to the EPA!
Old 08-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Yukonart

I'm wondering how many owners are having this problem vs. how many cars have been sold. Anyone have an idea?

I'm trying to decide between buying a new Z and a couple other cars, but this issue (as well as the apparent tranny issues) is waving me off a bit.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:01 PM
SquadElite

Default Clear Bra

Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs for the 3M ClearBra and Installation charges? I want to get fully protected before I drive from Chicago To Denver!
Thanks, theres to many truck drivers I wont be able to avoid...I REALLY DONT WANT TO LOSE MY MIND IF I SEE A TINY CHIP, CAUSE TRUST ME I WILL!!!!

Quick Reply: Paint Chipping on Front