Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Brake Job by Dealer?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:39 PM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so I got my Z used with 12,000 miles almost two years ago....now it has 50,000. I had my rotors re-surfaced at about 23,000. Is it time for new brake pads/rotors? They don't squeak....it only shakes the car if I hit the brakes doing 70+
Old 11-24-2006, 05:15 PM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
If you use the OE Brembo Rotors it is $$$$$$$$$$$

We have the STOP TECH Slotted One Piece Brembo Rotors which are MUCH Less expensive... It is more along the lines of the non-brembo rotors... the pricing for parts is all on www.mynismo.com
No doubt...if I recall Perf had replacements for the Brembos from Stop Tech for all 4 corners with Motul and lines for ~700 USD.

My OEM Brembos were so far gone they were not usuable after 29k miles. I cannot imagine buying another set OEM.

I wouldn't mind so much if you were gettting a superior product for the $$$, but clearly the OEM does not fall into that category.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 05:31 PM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icedout589
so I got my Z used with 12,000 miles almost two years ago....now it has 50,000. I had my rotors re-surfaced at about 23,000. Is it time for new brake pads/rotors? They don't squeak....it only shakes the car if I hit the brakes doing 70+
My Z's brakes were just about gone at 11k miles; the stock Nissan brakes just didn't hold up that well. I did do some track days, hard driving, but these brakes were toast at 15k.

Neither my Z nor my G ever squeaked a bit; there is a wear clip that should have produced some sound but never did. If your brakes shudder under hard braking, time for checking them out. A simple check is just feel the rotor (COLD!) along the edge and see if they have a "lip" since your initial turning. Whatever raised edge you feel is where your rotors used to be.

The brakes otherwise should last at least 20k-30k miles depending on use, but your description sounds like they may not be working as well as they could.

Some jerk tried to whack me the other day with stupid (and illegal) move L to R from the left turn lane across two travel lanes to make a R at an intersection. W/o the abilility to hit the brakes brief but hard no way I would have avoided a Jeep Cherokee that may have as well been dropped out of the sky - I had to hit the brakes (Brembos) full, pitch the car to the right, kick the rear out, drop a gear and hurl back to the left around this guy. No time to even think - if my brakes were not in top shape I would have hit the guy or another car, no doubt in my mind. I was only going 50 mph, but had to very briefly try to hit the brakes hard enough to induce a slide, even w/ABS.

Your 70-0 mph stopping distance is probably well over 200 ft instead of ~160-170 ft, if you feel shudder braking at that speed. Plus side you are getting pretty decent miles out of stock brakes, and you are at +25k miles since turning the rotors and new pads, so get them checked out.

99% of the time it may not matter. For that 1% for me, it mattered a lot last weekend.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:03 PM
zz350zz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve I appreciate the advice....thanks for your input I will indeed at least go get them checked out