Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Worst Oil Consumption yet

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 PM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Oil Consumption yet

This is by far the worst out of all consumption issues I've read on this forum (unless I missed one ). I started the consuption test about a month and a half ago and today the pressure started reading low, the light came on when stopping, the engine started pinging (same **** as before)... so I called Nissan and tell them I need to drop it off today for them to check it out.

I get a call and am told that the car is consuming oil but that Nissan told them to change the oil and to have me call them to work it out.. whatever.

So I go pick it up and ask them to document the consumption... 4 QUARTS IN 1500 MILES!!! The car is a 2006 with about 3600 miles...

So they changed the oil, I called Nissan and filed my issue. I'll let you guys know what I hear...

One more thought...Is my only recourse to let them replace the engine? I want to keep the car but was thinking maybe I can just get the $$ and have the engine built. At least I'd know it was done right.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
trentor

i seriously doubt they'd give you the money. they'll replace it with another stock motor.

but wow, that's some serious oil consumption
Old 11-03-2006, 03:36 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The car uses more oil than gasoline. When do you return the car to the dealer for then to check the oil level?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man I seriously hope Nissan get their act sorted with the 07.
Good luck with getting your zed sorted Bofa, that's seriously nuts.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:10 PM
trentor

i really think it's a random thing, or has to do with how they broke it in. i've got an '06 with 4500 miles...hasn't used a drop of oil
Old 11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
bofa

I broke it in like the manual said... hell though, I've had other cars that I didn't break in correctly and they didn't consume oil... not to mention 4 quarts.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by davidv
The car uses more oil than gasoline. When do you return the car to the dealer for then to check the oil level?
I don't... they assessed that it burns oil and told me to take it up with Nissan directly. I'm supposed to hear from the regional rep by Monday.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:17 PM
DMK

I would love to have my car do 1500 miles on 4 quarts of gasoline.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM
DriftMyRide

i just got a new long block after mine locked up at 3,100 miles, because it ran out of oil.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:05 PM
NissanZfan

Damn, and I thought my 1/2 quart every 1k miles was bad.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM
creationv2

yah i just got my oil changed at 3.4k and i had a quart used up, so they told me to come back after 1k miles for a oil consumption test to see if theyll change my motor....i wonder if itll be worst since i changed to mobil1 synthetic....even after the numerous posts ive read saying it burns a quart on pre-06 Zs...

not to thread jack....but when they replace the motor....do they replace it with a long block? jw because everytime ive reada motor change by the dealer the poster mentions getting a long block and i thought hte stock vq was a short block...so do you like ask for it? haha
Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creationv2
yah i just got my oil changed at 3.4k and i had a quart used up, so they told me to come back after 1k miles for a oil consumption test to see if theyll change my motor....i wonder if itll be worst since i changed to mobil1 synthetic....even after the numerous posts ive read saying it burns a quart on pre-06 Zs...

not to thread jack....but when they replace the motor....do they replace it with a long block? jw because everytime ive reada motor change by the dealer the poster mentions getting a long block and i thought hte stock vq was a short block...so do you like ask for it? haha

A short block is an assembled block that includes the crankshaft and piston assembly only.

A long block is a complete engine, including heads and pan.

bill
Old 11-04-2006, 07:04 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bofa
I don't... they assessed that it burns oil and told me to take it up with Nissan directly. I'm supposed to hear from the regional rep by Monday.
That sounds like a pathetic cop-out for a service manager.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Xoulrath

I just checked the level on mine this morning and I am about a half quart down, with around 1700 miles. It was on a very, very slight angle though, so I am going to drive the car a bit (going to visit the mother) and stay long enough to check it before I leave (this time on a perfectly flat surface).

If it even looks low, I am going to Nissan Monday to have them do an oc test. If there is a problem, I am going to give them one chance to make it right with a long block. Any problems after that, and I get them to buy back the car.

Half the reason I went with Nissan was because they have a solid record of bullet-proof engines (SR20DE, SR20DET, RB26DETT, VG30DETT); the VQ35 should be included in that list, especially when you consider all the praise it has gotten from the media. However, these oil consumption problems with the 06 rev-up concern me.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:27 AM
bofa

That sounds like a pathetic cop-out for a service manager.
yup... the doorknob asked me what kind of oil I've been putting in it.. I said, uh.. whatever you guys use b/c you're the ones doing the consumption test....

not a lot of faith in dealerships.. kinda why I'd rather see if I can get the cash and have the motor built.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:39 AM
bofa

Can this get moved back to the 350Z forum? It isn't exaclty an issue where I need help fixing the Z... it's a problem that all Z owners should know about in case it happens to them. Plus I don't think the thread will get more input in the 350Z forum.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Brocken

Good luck dude. I hope it works out for you.
I'm still going through my consumption nightmare. I just hope it gets resolved soon. It would be such a big deal if Nissan would just resolve the problem but they want to blow off every opportunity they have.
It's frustrating because they hype up how great of customer service they have and I've had nothing but terrible service all around.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
bofa

Well, I was supposed to hear from the rep today and suprise suprise.. no call. I'm calling the national office again tomorrow to see what's up.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Brocken

That was the service(or lack of) that I got from NNA. No matter how many messages i left or how many people I talked to i could never get a call back or a resolution. They just kept passing me off to someone else.
I talked to NNA customer service, mailed in a letter and got a call back from aarbitration dept(told me to look in the manual, consumption is normal), talked to service manager at dealer close by(where I took car in), talked to owner of dealer I bought the car from....none of them would resolve the issue. The jerk owner of the dealer I bought from wanted me to trade the car in for $26k...I said why the f*&$ would I lose $10k on a brand new car when it's NIssan's fault it's consuming oil when I bought it.

Side note-I was talking to a local ASE shop last night about documenting the consumption for the arbitration. He was saying an engine replacement wouldn't be that bad... until I told him this started at 2k miles. He could believe it. He said he would have expected them to replace it with a new car at that point. Which is also what the service manager said at the dealer I'm having work done. But he said since I didn't buy it there he couldn't do it.
So everybody knows what the right thing is to do but none of them are doing it.

From my research it sounds like Nissan's plan of attack is to brush off as many claims as they can. They'll lose some cases but most people give up because Nissan makes them think they don't have a case.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM
bofa

They won't be able to brush me off.. ask KB Home

Quick Reply: Worst Oil Consumption yet