Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

my left headlight is totally fogged

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:28 AM
wicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my left headlight is totally fogged

Background: I replaced all of my lights except for the main headlight with those blue bulb hyper whites. Well my left lense is totally fogged up.

I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replace it because of the blue bulbs. Anyone else with this problem?

the weird thing is that it is only happening in just the left lense the right one is fine.

suggestions?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:56 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Improper seal now that you've opened things up? There haven't been any other complaints about fogging after installing aftermarket bulbs...not that many have done that.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 AM
wicked

Default update

so i just got back from the dealer. the bulbs void my warranty. plus they gave me a paper that states fogging is normal. to get rid of it i am supposed to use a hairdryer on it and this makes the condensation go away. now if there is moister trapped in there and i heat it up with a hairdryer it will turn to steam, but since its trapped in there it has no where to go which means it just reforms on the lense.

what kind of solution is that? i am so frustrated i am contemplating just taking the damn thing back and just sticking with me 300z
Old 03-17-2003, 12:10 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

The Xenon lights have just about always fogged up in the very beginning for most of us. It just took some time for any moisture to evaporate from use but then it doesn't come back.

Don't know how long you've had your car or how much you've used your headlights. Give it a little time. Replacing the non-main bulbs shouldn't have caused fogging in the main light.

If it doesn't clear up then change back to the original bulbs and go to another dealer for evaluation and possible replacement.

They won't take back the car because of a headlight problem.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:15 PM
wicked

Default your right

your right. i was just frustrated. hey since i got your ear. if i was going to run an amp of my stock (non-bose) stereo head unit, are there rc jacks to plug in back there? I have looked high and low for the schematics on the sstock stereo and can't find them anywhere. can you help?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:23 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Default Re: your right

Originally posted by wicked
your right. i was just frustrated. hey since i got your ear. if i was going to run an amp of my stock (non-bose) stereo head unit, are there rc jacks to plug in back there? I have looked high and low for the schematics on the sstock stereo and can't find them anywhere. can you help?
That I can't help you with. People have already done total swap outs of the amp and speakers who would know. Suggest you do a search in the Audio forum or at least post your question there.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Z'd

I experienced some fogging at first, but it does go away. I agree- give it a little while and it will diminish and eventually stop.
BTW- the dealer can't void your warranty for aftermarket bulbs. They would have to make a case for that mod causing a problem you might experience. Now, maybe if you start blowing fuses or burn up some wires....... but other than that, they don't have a case. If you go in for warranty service, just put the OEM bulbs back in.