Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

noise when accelerating on a 06

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
VeeTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At times my 04 has had a little noise coming from the shifter. Before I realized what it was, I thought it may have been the motor, from the sound of it. I figured it out by pushing on the shifter a little while accelerating, and the noise disappeared.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:36 AM
creationv2

i just recently had that problem too, but i would describe it more of a scratching noise like metal rubbing on each other...also had low oil pressure, i assumed i was low on oil and since the pressure was severly low, i was screwing up my motor, liek the pistons or something. this was a week before i was going to get my oil changed, and when i got the car back the sound was gone, oil pressure was normal, and the service guy told me it was the tranny....and said others have complained about the noise, but i dont think he heard what i was hearing...i suppose my mistake for nto riding along and pointing out what i was hearing...he also told me i was a quart and a half low, im due back after 1k miles for the oc test so they can decide if its an oc problem and i get a new motor....man thatll be forever if i do get a new motor O_o
Old 11-10-2006, 02:24 AM
dingobiatch

Its oil. I had the same problem. It happened again today at 12k miles (got oil changed once before), just had to get my oil refilled.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:15 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by dingobiatch
Its oil. I had the same problem. It happened again today at 12k miles (got oil changed once before), just had to get my oil refilled.
Interesting. Very interesting.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:16 PM
marathonhunter

Default 2006 burning oil!!!

This is unreal I cannot believe all you guys are experiencing the same problem as I am. I have written about clicking noise on my car 2months ago, I thought it was the axel..because at the time it was faint. But it kept making the noise when I left off the gas and applied it again. One week ago, it started to get really loud, but this was a different sound. I described it as a piece of paper stuck in a fan. A machine gun noise. I had this problem at 7000 miles, took in the dealer and told them they couldn't figure it, I didn't hear it either, I should have realized the first sign. I suspected it was my valves, the tech guy did an inspection AFTER they changed my oil. We'll tonight it was so loud, my oil light flashed on for the very first time. I pulled over and went to target to get some oil. I put one quart and the noise stopped immediately. I'm pissed off. I've been driving a week.

You guys with 2006's , we have an oil leak or burning issue. My concern now is , how do I fix this issue. I only have 9000k miles, so I"m burning oil every 2000 miles...Is my engine damaged now? What do you think I should do?

You guys with pinging sounds...add a quart and see if it takes care of the problem. I'm betting it will.

mh
Old 11-12-2006, 08:52 PM
ZtoonR

Default Engine Noise...

If you drive your car in stop n go traffic, drive it like you stole it, or just plain rag it out. You will burn the oil up real quick. Every engine burns a little oil, but if your driving them like there ment to be driven, then you should keep an eye about every 2K miles. The noise your hearing is the flywheel or you need more oil. If your car seems to be driving rough, then first check the oil level, its not your driving style. I had my '05 Z for a few months, when I started hearing some new noises. I was so concerned that, I bought a NISMO Stage 1 Clutch, Nismo plate, & JWT Flywheel, just in case. There was nothing wrong when the factory clutch & flywheel when they came out & the drive drain was great shape too. (Switched-out to NISMO anyway, didn't want to waste time & money)

Conclusion, performance cars will make more cockpit noise. Like when you switch out the LSD to a NISMO or any other brand, the rear gets as loud as some performance exhaust systems.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:18 PM
marathonhunter

I had 3k miles on this car and it was making that noise..I was breaking it in. How can it possibly burn this much oil...

talk about performance cars...I own a 911 porsche, that leaks oil every time I start it up and turn it off...but it never leaked as much as my Z!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
slinksZ

I have a noise to, but it is and audible winding in the same rpm range on my 06. If i get on the gas I hear it, when i let off it disappears.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
RSX004

I believe I am developing this problem as well - I only hear the noise "in gear." I was wondering though, this noise only occurs at 2500-2600rpms and 3300-3400rpms. Would it be possible for it to occur only at those points? Also developing a "burning smell."
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
bdahern

I have it too - a click when in gear in the area of 3K rpms. I have heard it in 1st through 4th gears - gets harder to hear as the road noise goes up, but it is there. I have an 06 with about 22K miles - it just started recently - I checked the oil and added a quart - still doing it. Car goes in for service later this week, so i am going to get it checked out.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
BLK Z33

Did anyone find out what's causing this sound. I know 100% it's not oil because I just had it changed. I've heard this sound on other cars before. It's not loud, but the fact that it's there bothers me.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

bump>> +1 for me about the rattle.. its under load at high RPM only... im pretty sure its detonation.

Sounds exactly like what the previous guy said, a piece of paper in a fan.. and thats detonation.

I have 73k, so Im swapping plugs next week anyways, but could be bad gas, water in the gas from temperatiure changes etc. But yeah, the paper sound is most likely good old detonation. And yeah, its loud. Like enufff where a pedestrian would hear it.

Ill let u know if the change to NGK Iridiums w stock heat help at all. Im sure I will hear it if not, as the Kinetix V plenum is going on there next week too and i hear its noisy too.