Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Manual tranny newbie question (have mercy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 03:05 PM
349.99Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual tranny newbie question (have mercy)

Been lurking on various Z boards for many months now; finally picked up my SS perf 6mt last weekend!

Let me just get it overwith - 15 years of driving experience, of which maybe 1hr in a stick prior to the Z. Needless to say, I plan to only drive the Z on moonless nights for a while .

My question is this: although I have the basics down (still get the lurchy thing every now and then), I'm really concerned about getting up the driveway. I've read the other threads with hill tips, and tried all the techniques, but I smell a burning plastic odor after getting it in the garage. This ONLY happens after trying to get up the driveway (takes me 2-3 tries, sometimes it stalls), so I assume it's from riding the clutch. How much damage am I doing? I knew full well that the tranny/clutch would take a beating, but am I going to destroy my clutch in a few hundred miles? I've only done this (go up the driveway) 4 times since I had the car, and the last time I barely smelled a hint of the burning. The smell from the first time was pretty bad.

Thanks for any input (and ridicule ).
Old 03-17-2003, 03:29 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Manual tranny newbie question (have mercy)

Originally posted by 349.99Z
Been lurking on various Z boards for many months now; finally picked up my SS perf 6mt last weekend!

Let me just get it overwith - 15 years of driving experience, of which maybe 1hr in a stick prior to the Z. Needless to say, I plan to only drive the Z on moonless nights for a while .

My question is this: although I have the basics down (still get the lurchy thing every now and then), I'm really concerned about getting up the driveway. I've read the other threads with hill tips, and tried all the techniques, but I smell a burning plastic odor after getting it in the garage. This ONLY happens after trying to get up the driveway (takes me 2-3 tries, sometimes it stalls), so I assume it's from riding the clutch. How much damage am I doing? I knew full well that the tranny/clutch would take a beating, but am I going to destroy my clutch in a few hundred miles? I've only done this (go up the driveway) 4 times since I had the car, and the last time I barely smelled a hint of the burning. The smell from the first time was pretty bad.

Thanks for any input (and ridicule ).
If you're driving up a hill, rev higher and slowly release the clutch. The revs should be between 1,200 - 1,500. It's stalling because your revs are not high enough.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Scratchy

and please oh! please drive the damn car...it's not a sculpture...don't fear it...you burn your first clutch, you just replace it...the cost involved in doing so is much less than having such a nice car and not enjoying driving it...

we all start somewhere...
Old 03-17-2003, 05:06 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I roll over the curb onto the driveway in second gear. You won't burn out your clutch regardless.

As for that smell, several of us have had it. I think it is some plastic still on the car somewhere but it will go away.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Dings

Talking

I just filled my tank for the first time since it rolled off the lot and the smell is finally going away....I think it is the undercoating on the car or a lable maybe??? Either way, it fades after about 300 miles...

Enjoy the car.....you'll get used the clutch......
Old 03-17-2003, 05:59 PM
grebmohr

There is a common mis-conception that reving and releasing the clutch are two different activities. they are not. In fact when you get really good you will notice(regular driving) that the clutch actually moves before the gas.

Here is how I teach manual Transmission driving. you gotta learn on a flat surface before tackling hills. Burning out a clutch is NOT a foregone conclusion. Nor is it acceptable.

I start in an empty parking lot. Place the car in First gear. Raise the clutch till the car just barely moves then add gas and release the clutch at the same time. Just remember not to pop the clutch--keep it smooth--. if the car shudders, give it a little more gas and continue the start off. once the clutch is out and you are rolling. stop and do it again. and again and again and again till you got it dead smooth and 100% no stalls.

Once you can do this, driveways and other inclined starts are not as much of a problem.

Practice with an experienced driver as they can tell you what you are doing wrong when you cannot figure it out.
GL
Old 03-17-2003, 07:29 PM
bfleming

Thumbs up 349.99

You're not alone and the z isn't the easiest clutch. Keep thinking about being smooth as you let the clutch up and press on the gas. The clutch doesn't have to come flying out - ease it out as you give gas, esp if you are trying to drive slowly. Someone on this site suggested that you should feel the left foot passing the right and that seems to help me. Going in and out of the driveway you almost have to ride or feather the clutch a bit at low rpms, otherwise you'd go shooting out or in and probably crash. I come into to my driveway in 2nd.
I took my son to a big empty parking lot last weekend and taught him as grbmohr describes below. Keep working on getting 1st smooth and then go to 2nd. Once you get these two down the others are easy. Everybody stalls every once in awhile.
You will need to learn to use the emerg brake on hills to keep from rolling back. Practice on the flat letting it off as you feel the clutch grab. Some where back I've got a thread about shifting. If I can find it I'll send to you.
Congrats on being bold enough to get the manny tranny - you'll be going great in less than a month. I love it. Don't worry about what some other idiot thinks - drive it day and night.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 PM
bfleming

Default found the tread

this might help.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=20003
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 PM
slaponte

349.99, like all others said! With some practice it will come to you.

It takes a while to get the feel of the car. Even after driving several sticks, the first time on a different car it takes some "getting to know you" time.

I am pretty sure the car will survive this. And, as somebody said, a clutch can be replaced.

Enjoy.

How I practiced : get to an empty space and practice taking off on 1st. I try to get going with as little gas as possible, to "feel" the stall point. Then try some faster take-offs, etc. You have to feel the clutch and the car. Once you control it, the fact that it is a hill won't matter much.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 PM
grebmohr

Default Re: 349.99

Originally posted by bfleming
Everybody stalls every once in awhile.
You ain't kidding. I was wrong when I said 100% no stalls. It will happen and even when you feel really confident it will happen. only when there are 6 cars behind you in traffic tho.

I stalled my Z twice on the first day I had it and once again yesterday going up my girlfriends driveway.
I have been driving manual for 20 years and boy do I hear about it. Stalling a manual tranny is a very sickening feeling.

GL
Old 03-17-2003, 08:12 PM
slaponte

Default I stalled once...

during the test drive...

Hey, it was uphill stop sign with cars behind me and a stupid railroad track on a Z I had been driving for .06 miles! It happens!

Since then, 2 months, about 2 stalls...
Old 03-17-2003, 08:50 PM
349.99Z

Default Thanks all!

Hey thanks for all the great feedback, folks! I'll definitely drive it a lot (when that stupid work thingy doesn't get in the way grrrr) and keep all of your tips in mind.

Greb, your tip on practicing in an empty lot, that's exactly what I did the very night I got the car! Drove it 25mi home from the dealer, city and hiway, no probs, then I gingerly practice in an empty lot and lurch-plunk-stall! It was after that session that I noticed the smell (in the garage and very strong), and I figured I musta been frying the clutch. But the next day, after driving normally, I had trouble going up the driveway and then the smell appeared again. I'm thinking, since getting it back in the garage is the biggest challenge, the simple solution is just to KEEP DRIVING!

Thanks again all! And special thanks to bfleming for finding that great thread. I'm glad to be one of such a great bunch of car enthusiats.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Z'd

not to head off topic, but...
do youself a favor and install a grounding kit. It will make your throttle response more immediate and you will find the gas/clutch thing much easier.
I have driven many types of standards over 25 years. The Z was a little touchy from a standing stop, but now it's a dream, since I installed the grounding kit!!!!