Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems
View Poll Results: WAITING TO TRADE FOR A 2004?
WHY TRADE IT IN? IT'S THE PERFECT CAR!
37.04%
I'M BASICALLY HAPPY. I'D TRADE IT IN IF THE NEW MODELS WHERE EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE.
21.30%
IT'S A CAR. THIS YEAR'S HAD ITS PROBLEMS, SO WILL NEXT YEAR'S.
15.74%
I CAN LIVE WITH THE PROBLEMS, BUT I'LL PROBABLY TRADE IT IN IN A COUPLE OF YEARS.
9.26%
THE PROBLEMS KEEP PILING UP. I CAN'T WAIT TO TRADE IT IN ON A 2004.
4.63%
NISSAN BLEW IT! NO MORE Z FOR ME!
12.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Going To Trade It In For A 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 04:20 PM
fotodad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going To Trade It In For A 2004?

After reading various posts, I've realized, not surprisingly, there are varying views regarding the satisfaction Z owners have with their cars. It is my assumption Nissan reads these message boards and takes into account issues Z owners have so improvements to subsequent models can be made. Since the views expressed on this website vary so much, it will be interesting to see if Z owners are happy with their cars or can't wait to trade them in on the 2004s.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:48 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im happy with my car, and if I had unlimited money and wasnt modifying my car, Id probably grab a new one, I mean why the hell not?

but I dont have unlimited money, and my current car has not exhibited any of the common bugs that could be considered first year problems. so Ill stick with what I got.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:05 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Default Trade it in???

hell no. I've had convertibles before. This is the perfect car. When i'm not driving it, i'm gawking at it. I've got close to 10K miles on it, and haven't had a single problem yet. Besides, how could i sleep at night knowing that any guy with a pocket knife could break into my car?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:31 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default Regarding Trade in Poll

fotodad,

This poll is a great idea. Thanks! It will be interesting to see how many will not spend more money and time to purchase a 2004 just to get the car they should have gotten in 2003!
Old 03-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Bobg

My CS Touring has been perfect. I have 6100 miles on it and enjoy driving it every time. The convertible is not appealing to me at all.It's a ragtop which will eventually rot ,be noisy and it discounts the wonderful profile of the 350..
Old 03-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Throbber

you should have had an option to vote, "waiting on a 2004" becasue I am too scared to buy a first year car model...
Old 03-19-2003, 06:58 AM
ZNUTS

I HAVE SO FAR AT 2,500 MILES NO PROBLEMS,THE CAR IS PURE PLEASURE TO DRIVE.I PREFER THE LINES OVER THE CONV.AND DONT PLAN ON REPLACING THE Z FOR ALONG TIME.(6SPD BRICKYARD TOURING)
Old 03-19-2003, 07:34 AM
fotodad

Default Good Point!

Originally posted by Throbber
you should have had an option to vote, "waiting on a 2004" becasue I am too scared to buy a first year car model...
Throbber,
Sorry. You make a good point. I wish I would have considered the first-year-car syndrome. Smart thinking on your part.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:57 AM
dr_gallup

I expect changes for 2004 will be relatively minor. NAV door improvement, suspension recalibration, etc. There will be running changes on the production line to fix things like alignment or the grease streaks on the windows but little change to the basic specification until 2006+ model. I don't give a rats a$$ about the convertable. I might trade in 3 or 4 years when they increase the power & upgrade the whole interior (i'm just specualting here, don't have any insider information).
Old 03-19-2003, 06:04 PM
DRUTH

ditto.....im also waiting till im a commissioned naval officer so i have a better chance on getting a good interest rate through the navy credit union
Old 03-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by DRUTH
ditto.....im also waiting till im a commissioned naval officer so i have a better chance on getting a good interest rate through the navy credit union
Actually, you forgot another category. I was never considering a trade for a 2004. I would trade up to a Lexus or some other upscale high performance vehicle and the Z would not be a consideration. Heresy? Perhaps, but I'm starting to not give a ****, bad sign for me.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:58 PM
5280350Z

I’ve heard to many complaints with the current year. I think I’ll wait for the 04’s to come out and see if there is any improvement before I get one.

By the way, do all first year cars have this many problems?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:26 PM
jhagan

I just got my car.. 700 miles and the only thing I can say bad about it is the little knock in the seat.. This is a common problem and I will take it to be fixed when I get it serviced.. I'm sure they know about it.

I've owned a nissan car in it's first year of production (89 240sx) It has 221,000 miles on it, totaled twice (yes... I got it fixed) Still runs good... Nissan has a different approach to building cars.. You really dont have to worry about major parts giving you problems becasue, lets face it... 75% of the parts can be found on other nissan cars and trucks.. A recall would damn near wipe out the profits they made by shraing parts from the part bin with other models.

In addition, many porsches, and M3's have far worse problems than any of use.. You should hear the stories these guys are posting.. everything from engine rebuilds to tranny swaps.. They are just more embarrased to post it as freely as us.. but search goolges if you need confirmation. I thought about leasing an m3. Great car.. but if I deceided to keep it.. I would pass out from the cost to keep it running, And would be paying on it forever.

Guys you have a great car.. one that stops people at gas stations, mall parking lots and gets peopel to skow down and speed up on the highway just to get a look. To get the same effect you need $120,00 car and some of those dont get the same reaction.

Sorry for the long post
Old 03-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by jhagan
I just got my car.. 700 miles and the only thing I can say bad about it is the little knock in the seat.. This is a common problem and I will take it to be fixed when I get it serviced.. I'm sure they know about it.

I've owned a nissan car in it's first year of production (89 240sx) It has 221,000 miles on it, totaled twice (yes... I got it fixed) Still runs good... Nissan has a different approach to building cars.. You really dont have to worry about major parts giving you problems becasue, lets face it... 75% of the parts can be found on other nissan cars and trucks.. A recall would damn near wipe out the profits they made by shraing parts from the part bin with other models.

In addition, many porsches, and M3's have far worse problems than any of use.. You should hear the stories these guys are posting.. everything from engine rebuilds to tranny swaps.. They are just more embarrased to post it as freely as us.. but search goolges if you need confirmation. I thought about leasing an m3. Great car.. but if I deceided to keep it.. I would pass out from the cost to keep it running, And would be paying on it forever.

Guys you have a great car.. one that stops people at gas stations, mall parking lots and gets peopel to skow down and speed up on the highway just to get a look. To get the same effect you need $120,00 car and some of those dont get the same reaction.

Sorry for the long post
Hope springs eternal and I just gave my Service Writer my story, the TSB on the tires and several pages of owners comments from this thread. He will be meeting with the area Rep for Nissan on Thursday, the day I will be out of town, unfortunately. I do trust him to be my advocate, I've dealt with him for years. He will plead my case because I am a good customer and allow him to do his job. I just paid out $550+ for several items for my 99 Maxima, I am a GOOD customer. Sometimes he tells me I am spending $ needlessly and to have them done at a later time.

He's not my friend, buddy or brother, we have a business relationship that works. I have noticed many people have gotten very emotional about the snafus and problems and turned them into personal issues. I can curse and **** and moan with the best of them and I've done so on this and other sites like 350frenzy.

I can only suggest that you have lost if you make it personal, none of the business relationships work anymore and you are screwed because you are personally disliked. I think we are close to getting the tire and bounce issue resolved if we are business oriented, not personal. When you get personal, the employee(s) you are angry at can show their supervisors that you are not a person they have to deal with, "I can't do business with this guy, he's lost it."

You are SOL then, unless you can regain perspective and get back to business. It usually works if you can let your resentments go away for long enough to do business. It does work, 9 times out of 10, if you can stop personalizing and just keep at your problems in a business-like manner.

Boomer--use it or lose it, I don't care.