Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help!! Urgent

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006 | 06:39 PM
Andres_Miami

Exclamation Help!! Urgent

Hey at this time I'm just pist! I have spent too much money in my Z, not only that I have several sets of parts waiting for me to install in my car, which include a set of port & polish head cams with ferrea valves and S1 cam shafts.

The problem that I have is oil consumption, 1 quart/ 1k Mile. Does anybody know what the cause of this is? Since I do autocross, between suspension, engine parts, electronics, cooling systems and breaks I’m looking at big bucks to put it back to stock and take it to the dealer.

I really need you to be honest, if the solution is the piston oil ring, I will change them, if it is something else please let me know, I’m to the point of thinking of buying a complete engine from a junk yard or ebay. But at the same time who knows if the engine that I buy has the same defect?

Also, if someone of this forum can hook me up with a dealer so I wound have to take the parts off I will greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2006 | 07:02 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout
Premier Member

Ask around to see if there is a mod friendly dealership near you. If you don't have any major engine mods then they should honor your warranty. Basic bolt ons (intake/exhaust/etc.)shouldn't matter as oil consuption is a known problem. Try searching for TSB #'s etc and bringing that with you to the dealership.
Old 11-19-2006 | 08:22 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

The dealer will do an oil consumption test with you over a period of time to verify excessive consumption and if verified the most likely will replace the engine.
Old 11-20-2006 | 05:00 AM
undrgnd

Just curious, but you have some serious jack tied up in all the mods you listed, including the proposed ones. Where exactly where do you think the oil is going? Is there a puddle under your car? Is there an oily mess anywhere on the engine such as would happen if a valve cover, oil pan, or rear/front seal or gasket was leaking? Since you're familiar with the Z, I assume you've already checked all that and the answer is no. Well, that leaves only one or possibly two alternatives. Rings and valve seals. Since you plan to replace the heads anyway, the valve seals are a moot point. Assuming you know how to read a dipstick and aren't overfilling your crankcase, you have piston ring problems, just like the hundreds of other folks here that posted about oil consumption. How many miles on the engine, still under warranty? If you didn't properly break the car in and raced it from day one, chances are this is your own doing, but maybe you can find a dealer that can cut you some slack. And make sure you have records of all your oil changes since the car was new.
Old 11-20-2006 | 05:36 AM
Andres_Miami

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Just curious, but you have some serious jack tied up in all the mods you listed, including the proposed ones. Where exactly where do you think the oil is going? Is there a puddle under your car? Is there an oily mess anywhere on the engine such as would happen if a valve cover, oil pan, or rear/front seal or gasket was leaking? Since you're familiar with the Z, I assume you've already checked all that and the answer is no. Well, that leaves only one or possibly two alternatives. Rings and valve seals. Since you plan to replace the heads anyway, the valve seals are a moot point. Assuming you know how to read a dipstick and aren't overfilling your crankcase, you have piston ring problems, just like the hundreds of other folks here that posted about oil consumption. How many miles on the engine, still under warranty? If you didn't properly break the car in and raced it from day one, chances are this is your own doing, but maybe you can find a dealer that can cut you some slack. And make sure you have records of all your oil changes since the car was new.

You are rigth in several things, one is that I have checked all the engine, and no, I don't have any oil leaking. Yes, I did the break in properly. My has 41k miles. I'm going to test the compresion today, lets see how it goes. Thanks very much, if anyone can help me further more I will appreciate it.
Old 11-20-2006 | 07:46 AM
undrgnd

Has the oil consumption always been this bad or is that a recent change? What year is your Z? What oil/filter have you been using, and how often do you change it? Not sure the compression check will tell you anything, but it won't hurt. I've seen perfectly good compression readings with oil consumption problems. I was under the impression that those Zs with oil consumption problems showed the symptoms early on.
Old 11-20-2006 | 08:21 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by westpak
The dealer will do an oil consumption test with you over a period of time to verify excessive consumption and if verified the most likely will replace the engine.
+1...taken from experience
Old 11-20-2006 | 03:17 PM
Andres_Miami

I did the compresion test, and I got 210 psi, so the problem is not there. Since the oil ring are not the problem the only posible cause is the valve seals. To answer some of the questions, yes I have been having this problem for a long time. I have always used Motul, no complains, plus I chage it every 3k miles.