Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oh, BTW, did I mention that FEATHERING comes back AFTER the alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feathering,etc.

I am just as guilty of not doing a search or jumping to conclusions as the next person, so, I try to leave a caveat to hide behind, if I'm wrong. If I am, tell me so. Nite,K. Good work, remember Occam's Razor, the simplest answer is usually the best.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-22-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:06 AM
Flyingscot

I'm confused.

Is Nissan swapping the springs for softer or firmer ones?

Fly
Old 03-23-2003, 06:22 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Flyingscot
I'm confused.

Is Nissan swapping the springs for softer or firmer ones?

Fly
Um,..firmer. Yes, definitely firmer springs because krinkov said he would have preferred firmer dampers, but thats cause he drives all those European exotics and they like softer springs and firmer dampers across the pond, don't you, Fscot? Actually, so do I, but who cares, its a FIX! AND, AND, I get to keep my stock ride height!

Don't mind me, 20 hours w/o sleep really winds my clock, only its slightly skewed, but I've always had a exaggerated sense of the absurd. See what you get for asking a simple question on a beautiful Sunday morning! If you are still confused, I can't help you, sorry.

Boomer babble--and so it goes.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:44 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some sleep Boom well to clear up, it would seem that the original symptoms indicate an underdamped/oversprung condition. To fix this you have to stiffen the shocks or reduce the spring rate, since they changed the springs(not the struts) in December in conjunction with the TSB, we are working off the assumption that they lowered the spring rate. Hope that helps
Old 03-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by krinkov
Get some sleep Boom well to clear up, it would seem that the original symptoms indicate an underdamped/oversprung condition. To fix this you have to stiffen the shocks or reduce the spring rate, since they changed the springs(not the struts) in December in conjunction with the TSB, we are working off the assumption that they lowered the spring rate. Hope that helps
OOPS! Well, glad you cleared that up, K. I have to plead ignorance in the area of springs/shocks mismatches. The important thing is it is a fix, I believe. I intend to visit my dealer tomorrow to start the process of getting them switched out and I advise each owner to do the same when convenient.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Flyingscot

Of course, we all know softer springs often means better ride, but, worse handling. Although, I'm not sure if it will be THAT noticeable on the highway.

Since I plan to track mine from time to time (In fact I have a 7 day track event in Canada in June that I was planning to take the Z to) I have to say I'm disappointed.

If I had money to spend, I'd being throwing out the stock suspension and gettting something worthy of this obviously capable chassis.

Fly
Old 03-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Flyingscot
Of course, we all know softer springs often means better ride, but, worse handling. Although, I'm not sure if it will be THAT noticeable on the highway.

Since I plan to track mine from time to time (In fact I have a 7 day track event in Canada in June that I was planning to take the Z to) I have to say I'm disappointed.

If I had money to spend, I'd being throwing out the stock suspension and gettting something worthy of this obviously capable chassis.

Fly
I will probably add stiffer dampers after the springs are replaced and the dampers become available. Remember, we have been screaming bloody murder about the mismatch for months now. I do think its a step in the right direction for me and many others. Hopefully, the handling will not be negatively effected. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:48 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Boomer
I will probably add stiffer dampers after the springs are replaced and the dampers become available. Remember, we have been screaming bloody murder about the mismatch for months now. I do think its a step in the right direction for me and many others. Hopefully, the handling will not be negatively effected. We will just have to wait and see.
if this did infact happen, I agree, a step in the right direction
Old 03-23-2003, 01:54 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by Boomer
I will probably add stiffer dampers after the springs are replaced and the dampers become available.
Well if you plan to get stiffer dampers anyways, you might want to keep the springs that are in there already.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:59 PM
phile

I hate to sound ignorant, which infact I am, but I really don't know what the hell i'm looking at in that big picture of the tire early in this thead. Can someone exlpain feathering to me?

I just checked my vin #. it's the last 6 numbers right? Vehicle date was 10/02 vin # is 0078XX. Someone said the first number is for air bags? I have front&side airbags and head curtains..yet my first number is a 0. Is someone mistaken?

Also, The fix was implemented in december meaning my car didn't receive the fix (10/02). I can expect feathering I take it?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I am kind of confused as well...so there is a TSB for TIRE NOISE UNDER BREAKING, which deals with the tire feathering issue...NNA recommended swapping tires left and right, and if it still exist, then change out tires right? Where does it say recalling springs? All we know is that all cars built after Dec/?? has different springs, does that mean it fixes the tire feathering problem?

Bottom line, is there really something from NNA TSB that recalling springs?

Thanks for all the info!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Apexi350z
I am kind of confused as well...so there is a TSB for TIRE NOISE UNDER BREAKING, which deals with the tire feathering issue...NNA recommended swapping tires left and right, and if it still exist, then change out tires right? Where does it say recalling springs? All we know is that all cars built after Dec/?? has different springs, does that mean it fixes the tire feathering problem?

Thanks for all the info!
I expect we will or our dealer will get a recall TSB for the springs. I am going to see my dealer tomorrow, I suggest you and others try to do the same if you still are unsure about your status.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:57 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Apexi350z

Thanks for all the info!
Some clarification would be nice. It seems that assumptions are being made that because there was a spring part number change in December that it was due to the tire feathering problem, but we don't know if the part number change is due to change in manufacturing process or manufacturing companies and nothing to do with resolving feathering issues.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Boomer

Well if you plan to get stiffer dampers anyways, you might want to keep the springs that are in there already.
I'll have to check w/Gordon at KONI to see if they will have to make a running change or we will be able to adjust the shock for the new springs. This is giving me a collassal headache.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:05 PM
krinkov

well if you get the koni adjustables it shouldnt matter since they are infinitly adjustable from about stock stiffness to impossibly stiff so you can adjust it to suit whatever springs you are running, stock or otherwise
Old 03-23-2003, 08:08 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by westpak
Some clarification would be nice. It seems that assumptions are being made that because there was a spring part number change in December that it was due to the tire feathering problem, but we don't know if the part number change is due to change in manufacturing process or manufacturing companies and nothing to do with resolving feathering issues.

This is a very good point, this is what I said

"it would seem that the original symptoms indicate an underdamped/oversprung condition. To fix this you have to stiffen the shocks or reduce the spring rate, since they changed the springs(not the struts) in December in conjunction with the TSB, we are working off the assumption that they lowered the spring rate."

Well you may be right , there could be other reasons behind a part number change and we are definitly not reading it off a Nissan engineers clipboard, but if that wasnt the suspension change cited in the TSB than I cant imagine what it would be.

Hmm, as for recall all I heard about was the TSB, I said if you ***** enough they "might" issue a recall. Even this is a bit of a long shot since recalls are usually only issued when theres a chance that someone could get hurt or killed. You would have to really present a strong case about how this tire feathering could also be a dangerous driving condition. Good luck!

Last edited by krinkov; 03-23-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by westpak
Yes, assumptions were made that have been hinted at recently about Nissan doing a recall to FIX the tire wear and bounce. Krinkov gave some info that led ME to make a judgement call that the different spring part numbers appearing in December were probably the FIX hints were being dropped about by several sources.

If I am wrong, then proceed with droidkaus to litigate against Nissan to FIX the problem. It is circumstantial, but you and others who have just posted in this thread need to read the thread from beginning to end and make up your own minds. So shoot me, I'm looking for anything that will CURE the damned tire and bounce problem. I'm going to my dealer with the TSB about tire noise under braking which is the abnormal wear on the tires, is it not? A spring rate change for early VINS seems to fit with both problems.

If I am incorrect, everything is coming to a head anyway with Droid and others ready to file a class action lawsuit against NISSAN! Nissan would be wise to provide the FIX and avoid having their icon vehicle dragged through the mud as a lemon! Please read the entire thread, everyone! OK?
Old 03-23-2003, 08:41 PM
phile

Originally posted by phile
I hate to sound ignorant, which infact I am, but I really don't know what the hell i'm looking at in that big picture of the tire early in this thead. Can someone exlpain feathering to me?

I just checked my vin #. it's the last 6 numbers right? Vehicle date was 10/02 vin # is 0078XX. Someone said the first number is for air bags? I have front&side airbags and head curtains..yet my first number is a 0. Is someone mistaken?

Also, The fix was implemented in december meaning my car didn't receive the fix (10/02). I can expect feathering I take it?

can anyone answer my questions?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:06 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by phile
can anyone answer my questions?
if you look at the tread blocks on the inside edge of the tire you will see there is a abnormal sort of wear where one edge of the block is worn lower than the oposite side, this continues from block to block so that they look to overlap the way feather on a bird are staggered and layered, hope that helps
Old 03-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Boomer

This is a very good point, this is what I said

"it would seem that the original symptoms indicate an underdamped/oversprung condition. To fix this you have to stiffen the shocks or reduce the spring rate, since they changed the springs(not the struts) in December in conjunction with the TSB, we are working off the assumption that they lowered the spring rate."

Well you may be right , there could be other reasons behind a part number change and we are definitly not reading it off a Nissan engineers clipboard, but if that wasnt the suspension change cited in the TSB than I cant imagine what it would be.

Hmm, as for recall all I heard about was the TSB, I said if you ***** enough they "might" issue a recall. Even this is a bit of a long shot since recalls are usually only issued when theres a chance that someone could get hurt or killed. You would have to really present a strong case about how this tire feathering could also be a dangerous driving condition. Good luck!
Actually, lets just call it a FIX, not recall, which is why I suggested you may want to visit your dealer real soon and play on their heartstrings to be the good guy and persuade Nissan to come through. I have a good relationship with my dealer, do you? If you don't, I would suggest building one ASAP. I will be taking my 99 Maxima SE in for a 30,000 mile service, full detail and paintless dent repair. Should run about $5-600 for their services, they need you, and you need them. Don't forget, be NICE, you need their help, and they need your $$$$. NICE

"Money makes the vorld go round, vorld go round". From Cabaret, lyrics sung by Joel Grey, Liza Minelli starring. 70sish, Best Picture, Academy Awards, or nominated, whatever.

Remember, "FIX", not recall. OK, K?

Quick Reply: Oh, BTW, did I mention that FEATHERING comes back AFTER the alignment...