Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oh, BTW, did I mention that FEATHERING comes back AFTER the alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 03:12 PM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No Feathering For Me

Originally posted by johnbradley
I have never done this before but my car is going up for sale next week! Never again with Nissan!
Wow, what are you going to get next?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:21 PM
JimH

Default Re: Re: Feathering

Rod, You mean your tires/wheels are not staggered? I thought all 350's ran a staggered setup? Regards, Jim

Originally posted by rodH

I have a touring which comes with 245 f and r
Old 03-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: Feathering

Originally posted by JimH
Rod, You mean your tires/wheels are not staggered? I thought all 350's ran a staggered setup? Regards, Jim
All Zs come with a staggered setup as stock, either 17" or 18". If you have 245s front and back, it is not stock.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:54 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Feathering

Originally posted by Boomer
All Zs come with a staggered setup as stock, either 17" or 18". If you have 245s front and back, it is not stock.
my bad guys, I confused the Rear 245 with my NEW front 245, your right, my bad
Old 03-25-2003, 07:38 PM
rodH

crap, well I just inspected my tires, they were beginning to FEATHER even though they only had 1100 miles on them I have had 2 cars with feathering probs (do to low damp rate struts), so I am well aware of what it is, I guess I need to call NNA.

PLUS I HAVE A 12/02 BUILD DATE!!!!!--no wonder there are NEW springs going on (again)

now I have TOYOs on there, I am REALLY gonna be mad when these start to feather, they are NOT cheep (good thing my family is "involved" with the Nissan dealer. That should make it easier to get tires AND FIX when it comes down to that, I just better be able to get MONEY towards the tires I want!!!! (the Toyos are NOT cheap, even at wholesale).
Old 03-25-2003, 07:57 PM
phile

crap, well I just inspected my tires, they were beginning to FEATHER even though they only had 1100 miles on them I have had 2 cars with feathering probs (do to low damp rate struts), so I am well aware of what it is, I guess I need to call NNA.

PLUS I HAVE A 12/02 BUILD DATE!!!!!--no wonder there are NEW springs going on (again)

now I have TOYOs on there, I am REALLY gonna be mad when these start to feather, they are NOT cheep (good thing my family is "involved" with the Nissan dealer. That should make it easier to get tires AND FIX when it comes down to that, I just better be able to get MONEY towards the tires I want!!!! (the Toyos are NOT cheap, even at wholesale).
So is the feathering on all tires? Or just the front? I also heard most people are getting it on the inside oedg of the tires, but one guy got the feathering on the outer edge of his tires...
Old 03-25-2003, 08:22 PM
rodH

inside edge of fronts, just starting, run your hand one way and it can be felt. Like I said, I am VERY familiar with this, as I had 2 cars with aftermarket springs and stock dampers, SAME exact thing. I swithed to Konis on the 1 car and it was immediatley GONE!!! Looks Like this is a shock/spring mismatch.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:10 PM
supergodzilla

inside edge of fronts, just starting, run your hand one way and it can be felt. Like I said, I am VERY familiar with this, as I had 2 cars with aftermarket springs and stock dampers, SAME exact thing. I swithed to Konis on the 1 car and it was immediatley GONE!!! Looks Like this is a shock/spring mismatch.
so theoretically if you switched to a coilover replacement you would NOT get this problem right?

I don't own a Z right now but I'm looking to get one possibly and I'm just trying to do some research on the car beforehand.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:31 PM
rodH

Originally posted by supergodzilla
so theoretically if you switched to a coilover replacement you would NOT get this problem right?

I don't own a Z right now but I'm looking to get one possibly and I'm just trying to do some research on the car beforehand.
or stiffer Konis or KYBs (both are adjustable damping)
Old 03-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Jewelz350

Just got a call from the service department. Not sure what to say here. The car has 5200 miles on it. I've done one OT event. They came back and said that they hear the noise above 35mph and the service bulletin says only below 35mph. Their conclusion is that the feathering is caused from AGRESSIVE DRIVING.

I told them that if the tire had feathering across the entire tire that MAYBE I would buy into it but since it was only on the track one day and the feathering is on the inside that I didn't believe this is what caused it. I asked if they had checked the alignment and he said they would do that next.

So...does the feathering/noise only occur below 35mph? And, could one day at a track cause it?

Side note: I mentioned maybe a possible mismatched spring causing it and he said I was the first person to complain. In the next breath he tells me that someone has already requested that he change their current spring over to the G35 spring.

Now what?
Old 03-26-2003, 09:22 AM
jelledge

Default Jewlez350

Sounds like they are trying to blow you off. However 1st thing is don't ever tell the dealer or Nissan that you take your car racing in any way. They will hold that over you as an excuse to not do anything about the problem. God knows the Z isn't a sports car or anything

Just keep calling B.S. for their excuses and don't refuse no for an answer. If the alignment is off you will have a lot more ground to stand on. Also for the alignment make sure you get before and after printout of the settings so you can compare and have some proof. Of course this won't fix the problem, but you might be able to get new tires out of Nissan until they do fix it.

Last, when you look at the alignment before and after numbers the dealer will try and say it wasn't too far out of spec (they did to me). However if you compare the before toe readings to the spec limits from Nissan you will find that the PERCENT the toe was out of spec will be huge. In my case my toe settings were all over the place front and rear. I averaged about 200% out of their spec limits even though the physical amount of toe difference was very small.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Jewelz350

Jelledge

Thanks for the input. I did request the the printouts when he called. Unfortunately, the guy stopped by my house when I first got the car and he knows I planned to take it to the track. Good part is he is remembers me and I'm being as sweet as honey! The only thing I can really reiterate is that it was only one day and I no intention of taking it on another event with this tire issue.

I did tell him that I'm going to need new tires (and I wasn't inferring that I wanted Nissan to pay for them-I really meant eventually) and I didn't want to put them on if I'm going to continue having the problem. He said if I was counting on Nissan to give me new tires, that I could forget it.

At this point, it appears the goal is to get an alignment and the tires rotated. If/when the feathering comes back, at that point I have a right to file a complaint.