Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oh, BTW, did I mention that FEATHERING comes back AFTER the alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 07:07 AM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah when are those nismo bits supposed to come out?
Anyhow its starting to look like progressives might be the band-aid you guys need. Keep in mind we still have to find out for sur ewhat exactly changed on the Z spring, maybe the new ones stayed the same rate and they just added a few progressive coils.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far we only have people with problems posting on this thread... Can anyone that has the post Dec mfg cars confirm the tire feathering and bouncy rides?

If we know the newer cars DOES NOT have the same problems that we are having, then newer factory springs are they way to go....
Old 03-25-2003, 07:48 AM
ezchief

Good call Apex. Does anyone post December have/not have these bounce and feathering problems?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:05 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Apexi350z
So far we only have people with problems posting on this thread... Can anyone that has the post Dec mfg cars confirm the tire feathering and bouncy rides?

If we know the newer cars DOES NOT have the same problems that we are having, then newer factory springs are they way to go....
Agreed!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:18 AM
rodH

Originally posted by ezchief
Good call Apex. Does anyone post December have/not have these bounce and feathering problems?
my car was built 12/02, I only had 1000 miles on it before i put my new wheels on it. I don't know about the "bouncy ride" (no flames here), I have driven a lot of sports cars for a good amount of time (NSX, Z32 tt, S2000, 911) and to be honest, the Z feels "stiff" like all the others and does tend to bounce a bit on BAD roads, but nothing that stuck out as real bad (I just got a new job, so I only drive 7 miles to my work now, so my road time is dramatically reduced).

about the feathering, I don't even know what tires I had on the front VS the rear, is there a way to tell, by the wheel (I assume they are exactly the same?). I do seem to feel a slight BIT of feathering, BUT it is hard to know, since it is only a tiny bit, if it is REAL or not, since the tires have such low miles??
Old 03-25-2003, 08:53 AM
JimH

Default Feathering

Rod, Not sure I understand your ? about the difference in tires. The front stock (17's) on my 5AT were 225's and the rear 235. It would be a bit difficult to feel/see the feathering with just 1,000 miles on them. My feathering came into play at just a tad over 4,000 miles and most others were about the same. Easiest way to notice the onset would be to go to a quiet roadway and lift off the gas at about 35mph and kick it out of gear and let it coast down to a gradual stop. Listen for a rythmic, slowing growl that can almost sound like a bad cvu joint on a fwd vehicle. Very noticable sound. I would guess you could begin to see the feathering around 2,500 miles and more, but YMMV. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by rodH
my car was built 12/02, I only had 1000 miles on it before i put my new wheels on it. I don't know about the "bouncy ride" (no flames here), I have driven a lot of sports cars for a good amount of time (NSX, Z32 tt, S2000, 911) and to be honest, the Z feels "stiff" like all the others and does tend to bounce a bit on BAD roads, but nothing that stuck out as real bad (I just got a new job, so I only drive 7 miles to my work now, so my road time is dramatically reduced).

about the feathering, I don't even know what tires I had on the front VS the rear, is there a way to tell, by the wheel (I assume they are exactly the same?). I do seem to feel a slight BIT of feathering, BUT it is hard to know, since it is only a tiny bit, if it is REAL or not, since the tires have such low miles??
Old 03-25-2003, 08:59 AM
slaponte

Default As you can see by my sig...

I have a small S/N built Aug 2002. So I must have the very original springs. I am just over 3500 miles, so I might be able to notice the feathering. The ride IS bumpy at some times, not enough to **** me off but enough to notice.

I will go in about an hour and check the tires. I had an alignment adjustment (Toe) at about 750 miles, but as many have said this should not solve the problem so the feathering should be the same.

I'll let you know in a little while.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:04 AM
phile

Originally posted by Boomer
Progressive springs are better for daily driving, but most manufacturers use cheaper linear springs. NISMO's springs compete with more expensive aftermarket springs, so they use progressive springs. NISMO's suspension is also about the same price as others to cash in on the SEMA aftermarket. A year or two ago, estimates were earnings of $4 Billion. Nissan wants to cash in on that market, hence NISMO parts. I still contend NISMO parts should have been an option on our Zs. Fans that we are, they would have been my choice over the stock suspension, but they were too slow to get them ready for us.
Since progressive springs are better for daily driving, I would assume, as has been said previously, that you would be sacrificing performance with progressive springs. S why would nismo sell a performance kit that uses progressive springs, and gives slightly negative performance? I'm not saying they aren't progressive or anything, i'm just wondering why they would do that?

Also, what's the best way to keep our Z's from being "tire scrubbers" ?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:13 AM
phile

Default Re: Feathering

Originally posted by JimH
Rod, Not sure I understand your ? about the difference in tires. The front stock (17's) on my 5AT were 225's and the rear 235. It would be a bit difficult to feel/see the feathering with just 1,000 miles on them. My feathering came into play at just a tad over 4,000 miles and most others were about the same. Easiest way to notice the onset would be to go to a quiet roadway and lift off the gas at about 35mph and kick it out of gear and let it coast down to a gradual stop. Listen for a rythmic, slowing growl that can almost sound like a bad cvu joint on a fwd vehicle. Very noticable sound. I would guess you could begin to see the feathering around 2,500 miles and more, but YMMV. Regards, Jim
I only have 1500 miles, and my car was built 10/2. I have noticed a cyclical vibration at around 40mph. There's a thread on this over at the other board. Could this syclical vibration be the feathering? Is that what you mean by it sounds like bad cv joint?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:39 AM
rodH

Default Re: Feathering

Originally posted by JimH
ya, I know what "feathering" is, my car didn't sound like it, but when I run my fingers over the tires they are slightly raises blocks in certain spots (a sign of feathering if it gets bad it is VERY noticable).

I have a touring which comes with 245 f and r
Old 03-25-2003, 10:01 AM
ezchief

Default Re: Re: Feathering

Originally posted by phile
I only have 1500 miles, and my car was built 10/2. I have noticed a cyclical vibration at around 40mph. There's a thread on this over at the other board. Could this syclical vibration be the feathering? Is that what you mean by it sounds like bad cv joint?
Welcome to the club! That is it exactly. Just wait, it gets worse.

Man this sux!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:13 AM
phile

Default Re: Re: Re: Feathering

Welcome to the club! That is it exactly. Just wait, it gets worse.

Man this sux!
[sarcasm]
Great, how peachy. I'm so excited!!!! Maybe next the engine mounts will break and the engine will fall out! That would ROCK
[/sarcasm]

lets see we got:
tire feathering
gas tank refuses to fill sometimes.
bouncy ride
transmission sounds windy sometimes
seat buckle clapping
horrible pebble noise because of no insulation in rear wheel wells
engine rattles when started up (sometimes)

I'm going to go take my car for a 40 minute drive after I eat lunch I think. The only complaint I have given the dealer so far is that the rock noise is a bit on the ridiculous side. They're going to hate me after I complain about all of this.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:32 AM
ezchief

Hey Phile,

So you know, I never had the gas filling problem until last Saturday. I go to the same store 99% of the time. Car would not take gas any more until I rotated the nozzle about 20 degrees to the right and did a "normal" fill. Thought this might help you since it happened last week and I have 10 k miles.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:26 AM
jelledge

Default Spring Information From Parts Deptarment

Okay I called my Nissan dealer and got the spring part numbers and dates they were used on production vehicles. My next venture is get Nissan to tell me what the differences are....

Front Springs
June 2002 - December 2002 = 54010-CD002
Decemeber 2002 - Present = 54010-CD003

Rear Springs
June 2002 - May 2003 = 55020-CD010
As of May 2003 = 55020-AM810

So Nissan changed something in the front spring in December
and the rear spring is changing in May. What the hell.

I will hound Nissan for this information about what the difference are.

Last edited by jelledge; 03-25-2003 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:02 PM
rodH

Default Re: Spring Information From Parts Deptarment

Originally posted by jelledge
Okay I called my Nissan dealer and got the spring part numbers and dates they were used on production vehicles. My next venture is get Nissan to tell me what the differences are....

Front Springs

Rear Springs

I will hound Nissan for this information about what the difference are.
DING DING DING!!!!

you did it, that is HUGE info for you guys, obviously there was a change for a reason. I wonder if you will beable to get anybody to "talk" about why the change was made??

I wonder if the rear change might be for the heavier rear end on the Cab and NOT for the coupe???
Old 03-25-2003, 12:12 PM
phile

Hey Phile,

So you know, I never had the gas filling problem until last Saturday. I go to the same store 99% of the time. Car would not take gas any more until I rotated the nozzle about 20 degrees to the right and did a "normal" fill. Thought this might help you since it happened last week and I have 10 k miles.
Yeah, no matter how far in I kept the nozzle, no matter where I tunred it, it wouldn't take any more gas. It was only at a certain gas station though. A guy on the other board had the same problem. BUt for him it ocurred anywhere he went. Evn the dealer didn't know how to fix it... It's not a mian concern of mine though.
The feathering, and rattles are more of a concern.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Grey Matter

Default Just a thought

Was thinking, the 350Z has staggered tires, but what if the same size was run on all four wheels (say 245/40-18 for example). That way the tires could be rotated front and back and maybe get longer wear. But do not know how the car would handle the the same sized tires at all four corners
Old 03-25-2003, 01:09 PM
jelledge

Default Springs Part Number Update

Quoted from my earlier message:
"Okay I called my Nissan dealer and got the spring part numbers and dates they were used on production vehicles. My next venture is get Nissan to tell me what the differences are....

Front Springs

Rear Springs

I will hound Nissan for this information about what the difference are."

OK so just found out that Nissan changed the part number for the front springs again:

Correct current part # for front springs : 54010-CD001

old part # 1 54010-CD002
old part # 2 54010-CD003

Right now I have request in to Nissan, and 2 dealers for information on the springs.

jason
Old 03-25-2003, 02:22 PM
rodH

Default Re: Springs Part Number Update

Originally posted by jelledge
Quoted from my earlier message:
"Okay I called my Nissan dealer and got the spring part numbers and dates they were used on production vehicles. My next venture is get Nissan to tell me what the differences are....

Front Springs

Rear Springs

I will hound Nissan for this information about what the difference are."

OK so just found out that Nissan changed the part number for the front springs again:

Correct current part # for front springs : 54010-CD001

old part # 1 54010-CD002
old part # 2 54010-CD003

Right now I have request in to Nissan, and 2 dealers for information on the springs.

jason
that is weird, why would they start off with a 02 number then go back down to a 01 number, that doesn't make sense.

so I guess I DON'T have the latest, yet at this rate, nobody will.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:08 PM
johnbradley

Default No Feathering For Me

I have never done this before but my car is going up for sale next week! Never again with Nissan!

Quick Reply: Oh, BTW, did I mention that FEATHERING comes back AFTER the alignment...