Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
hieu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaro194
Depends if you are talking about a warm engine or cold.
warm
Old 11-30-2006, 03:43 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hieu
warm
~ 30 PSI.

But again, oil pressure tells you nothing about oil level or consumption.

bill
Old 11-30-2006, 03:52 AM
MasterRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Honestly, I can't believe how some people don't as much as pull out the darn dipstick to look at the oil. It would've taken you less time than starting this very thread!

Don't know what your talking bout bro lol that damn dipstick is a pain in the **** to get out, where is the genius who said hey lets make a dipstick thats sits almost at a 90-degree angle and has virtually almost no room to manuver it O well i checked my oil yesterday and it seems ok but I don't trust the dipstick .....*Sigh* I hope this doesnt turn out to be an oil burner, it was manufactured on 2/06 GREAAAAAT! I will be doing the next oil change my self rather then the canon fodders at Nissan. I guess that will be D day for me lol
Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by carsangelop
Having major oil burning issues on a 06 built early March Nissan has bacially told me there is nothing they can do.There position is they replaced several motors in other cars and they still burn oil.How f---ed up is that.The issue is now in the hands of a lemon law lawyer

WTF????? dude go with the lawyers can't blame you after you drop almost 30 Gs on a car and get screwed over............not cool
Old 11-30-2006, 06:06 AM
Sunset350ZR

Default Not sure it matters

The first oil change came and went without any oil consumption noticed. The second came with some but i am thinking that may be a result of what was being done with the car after the first few thousand miles. Doing hard mountain runs through the dragon a couple of times may well have been a contributing factor because as of yet with this last change no loss of oil at all. It all looks much cleaner this go round. Anyway as long as it does not become to severe this car is my play toy and will most likely continue to be. I do see going to 10w30 next summer. i think the 5w30 just might be to thin.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:34 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by zpwnzu
3 qts in 1000 miles burned for me, twice the light has come on. Nissan is gonna have a rough day if they dont fix my car soon . . .

It will be tough for Nissan to squirm out of that one! Out of curiosity, what type oil are you using?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
Don't know what your talking bout bro lol that damn dipstick is a pain in the **** to get out, where is the genius who said hey lets make a dipstick thats sits almost at a 90-degree angle and has virtually almost no room to manuver it O well i checked my oil yesterday and it seems ok but I don't trust the dipstick
From the front of the car, pull the stick slightly right, and slightly forward, and it slides right out. To put it back in, just re-orient it the same way .

I don't really know what could be a more reliable indicator than a disptick.

bill
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 AM
usmanasif

Don't know what your talking bout bro lol that damn dipstick is a pain in the **** to get out, where is the genius who said hey lets make a dipstick thats sits almost at a 90-degree angle and has virtually almost no room to manuver it O well i checked my oil yesterday and it seems ok but I don't trust the dipstick .....*Sigh* I hope this doesnt turn out to be an oil burner, it was manufactured on 2/06 GREAAAAAT! I will be doing the next oil change my self rather then the canon fodders at Nissan. I guess that will be D day for me lol
I was commenting on how you've NEVER checked the oil level in your car and yet are bothered about it enough to start this thread.

There's nothing wrong with the dipstick itself, nor is there an issue in pulling it out. The design flaw (and a serious one at that) is that in our cars, oil drains back into the pan right where the stick enters it, hence the streaking on the stick, making it tough to read. So one must wait long enough to allow ALL of the oil to drain back before taking a reading. Overnight parking works for me.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:10 AM
MasterRacer

I was commenting on how you've NEVER checked the oil level in your car and yet are bothered about it enough to start this thread.

There's nothing wrong with the dipstick itself, nor is there an issue in pulling it out. The design flaw (and a serious one at that) is that in our cars, oil drains back into the pan right where the stick enters it, hence the streaking on the stick, making it tough to read. So one must wait long enough to allow ALL of the oil to drain back before taking a reading. Overnight parking works for me.

Well I work in Washington, D.C and my car is parked ALL DAY LONG at the metro station. I checked it out yesterday and had to try at bout 3 or so times before i could get what seemed to be a decent reading. I have owned 4 nissans Sentras, Maximas blah blah blah.......the point is that the design itself sucks and is a bit of a pain! anywho thanks for all the input fellas!

o and BTW when you have a new car checking the oil is NOT a major priority, I used to do that on my old Maxima.
Was on that like a bum on a bologne samich!

Last edited by MasterRacer; 11-30-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 AM
AWDBall20

Ive noticed that oil consumption is much faster in my 06 than any car ive owned previously. To most car owners they assume to take it in when it is suggested to them by the dealer. If that were the case I wouldve toasted a motor by now.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Miko

I wonder if they'd swap an '06 engine out for the new HR, just like they'd swap the older version trans with a newer one. I wonder if there'd be a lot of modification required to the swap.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 AM
usmanasif

o and BTW when you have a new car checking the oil is NOT a major priority
It is. New engines burn oil for the first few thousand miles as the rings seat. One has to check and fill up as necessary.

Last edited by usmanasif; 11-30-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by AWDBall20
Ive noticed that oil consumption is much faster in my 06 than any car ive owned previously. To most car owners they assume to take it in when it is suggested to them by the dealer. If that were the case I wouldve toasted a motor by now.
+1 on that. I was lucky mine was not on the second time I went into have an oil change. If I was using synthetic, I probably would have toasted it since it would have been an extra 2000 miles.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:04 PM
dbasal

It is. New engines burn oil for the first few thousand miles as the rings seat. One has to check and fill up as necessary.
This is very true, but we should not continue seeing it after that initial oil change and certainly not when we are into 5-10K range for mileage. Mine has not gotten any better over time.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
hieu

Originally Posted by bailey bill
~ 30 PSI.

But again, oil pressure tells you nothing about oil level or consumption.

bill
What does it mean if its below 30psi at idle warm?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 02:30 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by dbasal
This is very true, but we should not continue seeing it after that initial oil change and certainly not when we are into 5-10K range for mileage. Mine has not gotten any better over time.
A bonafide consumption "problem" never gets better over time. The task is confirming that by continuing to perform regular checks beyond the first few thousand miles.

Responsible owners never completely stop checking all the fluid levels as there are many more variables involved with consistently lowering levels, such as gaskets, plugs, component degradation etc.

Last edited by usmanasif; 11-30-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
marathonhunter

Default oil consumption

I have 2006 350z eth. purchased in Nov 05. I noticed the pinging at 3k , then 7k and now 9k..so far I only had 2 oil changeds so I am due for one. I've been reading these boards for a while now, even had to join it because the noise would not stop. lol...i guess thats one way to get lurkers to register.

I've told the dealer 2x about my clicking and clacking. I was even right on the first diagnosis..I told the technician that walk through my car that it sounded like the valves were clacking, he said we'll i don't hear it. He said if it was the valve lifters , the psi gauge would drop below that 30 level or first notch..he said immediately shut it off. That was on my 2nd oil change at 7k miles...

I drove my car by the dealer at 7500 miles and the service dude said it was probably the axel problem clacking. So I told him i'd bring it on my next oil change.

Now if it wasn't for these boards, I would have never guessed it was valves clacking. So I decided to pour a quart of oil in my car. And it became quiet and a raging beast as it was at 1k miles.

I know cars burn oil like the BMW M5..but this can be dangerous to owners if they are not aware that their Japanese car burns oil like a Porsche or a V8 engine.

I don't care about the oil consumption as long as its not going to be a serious problem down the road. Its just that a lot of new owners like me with under 10k miles are assuming their car is a low mainteance car, which it is not. I read the manuel and it does say watch the oil level in the beginning. But I just added 2qtrs in 3k miles. thats a lot if you ask me..

Don't we have an oil shortage? 06 350z aren't helping this problem.

Solution: Nissan needs to add an oil gauge like Porsche did for their old 911 cars.

Lets hope the breakin process of adding oil for the seals is true. I can live with that.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by marathonhunter
I know cars burn oil like the BMW M5..but this can be dangerous to owners if they are not aware that their Japanese car burns oil like a Porsche or a V8 engine.

Solution: Nissan needs to add an oil gauge like Porsche did for their old 911 cars.

I have owned a LOT of cars, but the only one that had an oil level light was my '91 MR2 turbo. But EVERY car I ever owned had a dipstick.

On the Z, its that yellow handle on the front right side of the engine.

Checking the oil should be a routine procedure on any car.

bill
Old 12-01-2006, 05:40 PM
zpwnzu

First was royal purple, then mobile 1, no help.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:19 AM
genxnympho

I hope so from what I have read so far its the Feb to May of 06 models that are seeing the prob but thats debateable, let me know if you find anything.
I got mine with 150 miles on it which didnt bug me but now that I think of it with the break in period and **** who knows!

I have a build date of Jan 06, what did they do different in the mfg/casting process for these blocks during Feb to May? I have not noticed much if any burning oil but I am sure when I change it there will be a normal ammount of burn off.

Quick Reply: 06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!