Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Hustler904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel,I've only got 600 miles on my 06 z,but already I've checked it about 5 times within the last 2 months,If nissan did a recall on the 06 motors I wouldnt really care so much cause the z is my 2nd car,so even if its in the shop I have another car to get to work to,but its the fact that 95% of people here that have done the oil consumption test seem to be hassled by the dealers cause they dont want to do free warranty work,also soleil350z,you might want to do some searches on the 06 transmissions,seems to be a problem with the 6speeds also
Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
soleil
NolaZcc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks hustler..hehe..i have notice some rattling from the passenger side but still cant pinpoint the area. it sounds like its coming from front tire but not sure. i'm definitly making an appointment to bring her into nissan whenever she comes home. once again thanks for the heads up and i'll look up the transmission when i get home from work tonight
Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Hustler904

no problem at all
Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
hieu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys .. just wanted to update here:

after 700 miles my car lost 1.5 quarts of oil. West Covina Nissan is ordering the new long block for me. If you guys are in S Cali. Hit up West Covina and ask for Jeff. He will take care of you.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 PM
350Z_LMS

contrary to what I said in post no94, after 4 weeks of inspections and tests Nissan have decided NOT to replace the engine but to go for a "good clean and rebuild" instead. I am gutted. Any suggestions as to how I should go about this? Compression test ok and all geometry is within spec, so? piston rings are the cause but I DO NOT WANT A REBUILD!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Bat Z

This is all new to me. I bought my car in late Dec. The oil pressure gauge was reading low and the service engine soon light was on. The dealer told me I was 4 quarts of oil low. When he called and told me his tone sounded a little accusatory. I said its a new car with less than 5,000 miles on it. Why is it burning oil? He said its "normal" for these cars to burn about a qt every 1000 miles. I said no one said this when I bought it...when was I supposed to find out? No answer. He advised that they had replaced the oil but I need to watch it. WTF!! So I have a new car with a high reving motor that burns oil? Not a good combo. It looks as though some of you are getting block replacements or rebuilds to take care of the problem. How much trouble was that?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bat Z
This is all new to me. I bought my car in late Dec. The oil pressure gauge was reading low and the service engine soon light was on. The dealer told me I was 4 quarts of oil low. When he called and told me his tone sounded a little accusatory. I said its a new car with less than 5,000 miles on it. Why is it burning oil? He said its "normal" for these cars to burn about a qt every 1000 miles. I said no one said this when I bought it...when was I supposed to find out? No answer. He advised that they had replaced the oil but I need to watch it. WTF!! So I have a new car with a high reving motor that burns oil? Not a good combo. It looks as though some of you are getting block replacements or rebuilds to take care of the problem. How much trouble was that?
4 quarts low??!?? That means that you only had 1 left. Burning 1 quart every 1000 miles is BS.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Bat Z

I agree. I started by writing a letter to the dealership general manager. I mentioned fraud. If youre selling a car that you know burns oil like that and you dont disclose it...thats wrong!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 PM
orbitalpunk

i got mine in west covina also. you got an 07? and your burning oil? I just got min. ****.

Originally Posted by hieu
hey guys .. just wanted to update here:

after 700 miles my car lost 1.5 quarts of oil. West Covina Nissan is ordering the new long block for me. If you guys are in S Cali. Hit up West Covina and ask for Jeff. He will take care of you.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Blue_Z

I just got off the phone with Jeff@WestCovinaNissan. I mentioned my problem and he told me to bring it in for a consumption test.

This was the first time I heard this, but he mentioned that Nissan will be coming out with a NEW replacement motor for those of us who are having consumption problems, since the old replacement motors are having the same issues.

He said that the new engine will be released sometime between late-June to early-July.
It is "guaranteed not to burn oil".

Anybody else hear of this news??
Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Hustler904

I wonder if its gonna be a recall for all the 06 mt models,and not just the ones burning oil
Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Bevo

Originally Posted by Hustler904
I wonder if its gonna be a recall for all the 06 mt models,and not just the ones burning oil
well if the engines dont burn oil, why would you wanna waste time replacing the engines?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:43 AM
ZPHILE

Default Check the other oil consumption thread.

Originally Posted by Blue_Z
I just got off the phone with Jeff@WestCovinaNissan. I mentioned my problem and he told me to bring it in for a consumption test.

This was the first time I heard this, but he mentioned that Nissan will be coming out with a NEW replacement motor for those of us who are having consumption problems, since the old replacement motors are having the same issues.

He said that the new engine will be released sometime between late-June to early-July.
It is "guaranteed not to burn oil".

Anybody else hear of this news??
Yes Blue_Z, others have heard of this. BTW - search member dBasal and the "All 2006 owner's with Oil consumption" thread. He has one of these new engines and seems to be working out so far. Wish my '06 had one. Going through my second consumption test due to Nissan not owning up to the problem. This is the only test that I wanted to FAIL in my life!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM
MikeBit

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying an 06 350Z M/T. I've been trying to find some recent news on this issue but everything on the forum is old (2007 have been the last posts about it that I've been able to find). So I'm reviving this thread.

I keep hearing that the 06's typically burned oil during the first 20k miles and after that, they were fine. Either that, or engines were replaced. It's now 2011, and I just want some feedback on some of you 06 owners. Do your cars still have this issue, and if so, what actions do you take? If the 06 I end up buying has consumption issues, am I going to have to deal with the cost of repairing it? Obviously I'll have a mechanic look at it prior to purchasing it but nonetheless, it's not guaranteed right?

Thoughts/comments/suggestions highly needed. Thank you my350z community
Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 AM
NyZuR

I bought a new 06 z, also had oil consumption problem at around 30k miles, went to dealer a few months ago, they did test and it qualified for new short block. I talked to the tech, he said that the motors were having problems with faulty rings. New block is in now at 3k miles so far no low oil levels. As long as you have powertrain warranty you should be good...remember once you get block replaced, the dealer warranty takes the place of any replaced parts giving it only 1 year warranty overriding powertrain warranty.