Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:10 AM
AWDBall20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone like a certain oil in particular?? Im coming up on my 3rd change since I bought the car. Just curious to see what you all liked.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:45 PM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by genxnympho
I have a build date of Jan 06, what did they do different in the mfg/casting process for these blocks during Feb to May? I have not noticed much if any burning oil but I am sure when I change it there will be a normal ammount of burn off.

Its not so much that things changed, more like there was
a problem at a certain plant from what I hear and it
was between Feb and May.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 AM
AWDBall20

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
Its not so much that things changed, more like there was
a problem at a certain plant from what I hear and it
was between Feb and May.
OK so I bought mine in May...sweet. haha I guess I got a lucky one??
Old 12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Bmacs

Default oil go bye bye.... z go bye bye

Last post folks.......

Those with oil consumption issues... it does not go away. read my past threads and you will see I let Nissan try everything. In the end the Z is gone.

Turned it in to Nissan.... use the lemon law folks......

They handled this issue with a very high level of professionalism...

Took the car back and did me right.

New vehicle ( don't laugh ) 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi.

i hope to have another Z roadster in the future but i will wait till the oil issue is gone.

Good luck all Z owners and check your Dip Stick often.....
Old 12-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Brocken

Thanks for posting up Bmacs. I hope my arbitration goes well next week. Maybe I'll be fortunate like you and Nissan will have to buy my Z back.
If you have any info you don't mind sharing on the case i would appreciate it(pm maybe?) Any feedback on how the hearing went would be great. We've never done anything like this and don't know anybody who has. It's kinda scary going to a hearing against a big company like Nissan.

Anyway, glad to hear you finally got a resolution. I know how much it sucks to drag it out.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 AM
350Z_LMS

the issue is also being discussed here

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/232332-revup-oil-consumption-tsb-and-discussion.html

take a look and fill in any info you have! thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
GT3506MT

They Wont Be Able To Up Grade The Engine Without Changing The Hood
Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
350Z_LMS

guys this is a very serious problem, ther must be somekind of a design defect. nissan over here don't have a clue as to what the problem might be. my friend here has the very same car and problem I have and his engine is currently being inspected. no news yet
Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 AM
rockinbboy

What oil viscosity are you guys using? I had 5w-30 up until my last oil change where I got 10w-30. I have observed any buring oil issues. I have over 8k miles now. I'll see how it goes with my next oil change.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Interlagos Fire

I'm on my 2nd oil consumption test. The first test indicated 1/2 quart was lost after 900 miles, guess it's not that much compared to some of the folks here.
By the way, my car was bought in May of this year, so if there were any problems with a certain Nissan plant during the period, I would guess I'm one of the "Lucky" ones too.
On a side note: I had a brand new fuel tank replaced by the dealer due to the "other" infamous Z oil filling problem. First they changed the sending unit, didn't work, then the new tank......... NOW, still can't fill up normally!! Had to turn the nozzel upside down, and that's not cool
Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
350Z_LMS

I am REALLY worried about this oil issue...
Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Blue_Z

something happened on the way home from work tonight that never happened before. i stopped at a red light and my oil light came on for a brief second. this concerned me, even though it turned off right away. when the light turned green again i accelerated pretty aggressively and noticed that my oil psi gauge barely made it half-way up. it's like flooring it didn't do anything to make the oil pressure go up faster. is this one of the symptoms?

btw i haven't had a chance to check the oil level tonight as my engine is still hot and it's parked outside in the dark at the moment
Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Blue_Z

bump, oh by the way i checked my oil level today and it didn't even register on the L-H part of the dipstick..

there was some oil, however, on the back side of the dipstick, probably in the process of taking it out.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
GATORZ

I've been watching the oil consumption and I have it BAD. 5500 miles on it and got it in August. Did first oil change at 2000 miles.....didn't check it before that. Used Castrol Syntec 5/30. Down 1 quart by 3000 miles refilled, down another 3/4 of a quart by 4000 now down almost 2 quarts at 5500.

Can you guys tell me the procedure for Nissan to do a consumption test? How does it work? Do they drain and see how much is left?

There is no need to take it in now because I probably won't put 500 miles on till March....damn living in the northeast.

THANKS,
Dan
Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Darth Zader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue_Z
[...] i stopped at a red light and my oil light came on for a brief second. this concerned me, even though it turned off right away. when the light turned green again i accelerated pretty aggressively and noticed that my oil psi gauge barely made it half-way up. it's like flooring it didn't do anything to make the oil pressure go up faster. [...]
btw i haven't had a chance to check the oil level tonight as my engine is still hot and it's parked outside in the dark at the moment
I have an '04 @ 26000 miles and ran into the same problem. I checked the oil and the damn dipstick was smeared from top to bottom and I had no way to know how much oil was in her, even after numerous checks. Finally I checked it after the car was cold and there was NOTHING on the dipstick. Adding oil made the light go away and the pressure guage stopped pinning at zero when I stopped. I put two quarts in and by the time I changed my oil a month or two later and another quart later I only got two and half quarts out. She must have been dry as a bone for a time and that's scary. So after a fresh 5 quarts and a full night to settle, I checked the oil. Ah hah! It turned out that reading the dip stick should be much less of a problem than it was when there was too little oil. That is, I couldn't get a reading before because there was no oil on the stick, just the mess from the guide tube (or whatever it is called). I think you should be able to read the stick, if not with a little careful inspection. Rechecking the oil afer 1000 miles turned up a half quart low. I really hope there isn't a need to swap motors. What a pain!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Brocken

That's the same problem I had at first. I couldn't figure out why the pressure was low since the dipstick looked like there was oil on it....later I figured out the level wasn't registering on the dipstick, there was just oil all over it.
It's a sucky dipstick.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:21 AM
MasterRacer

Whoa WTF sorry I havent responded 2 MY OWN THREAD DAMN!!!! HAHA
I have checked the oil lately in my car and seems to be ok but again you have
to try at least 3 times before you can get an idea of what the oil level is in the car. I think we all seriously need to get all our brains 2gether here to solve this problem from the consumer point of view. I suggest that we make One simple thread with persons name # or email if possible and dealer that they are working with that has confirmed oil consuming problem, also year of the Z you have. What do you guys think??? I mean for us who maybe having issues it maybe a source of help
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Lsmith9523

Patrick
Covington, GA
678-595-5858
2006 base on second engine. replaced at 1900 miles.
Conyers Nissan. Knows of oil consumption,,,replaced my complete engine. No questions asked. Just went for my 1200 mile follow up yesterday. Said, everything looked ok for now,,but keep watching my oil. Also said,,,Nissan wont tell them exactly what is going on...Very cool dealership.

Ed...? Service manager
Richard....head mechanic. Awesome guys. both know about the oil consumption. If I left anything out, or if anyone has questions about my experience,,,feel free to PM me.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Lsmith9523

I hope other people respond as well,,,this would be a nice thread to have if there are any dipstick dealers that try to play dumb,,or have if need be/ fax over to NNA....
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Lsmith9523
Patrick
Covington, GA
678-595-5858
2006 base on second engine. replaced at 1900 miles.
Conyers Nissan. Knows of oil consumption,,,replaced my complete engine. No questions asked. Just went for my 1200 mile follow up yesterday. Said, everything looked ok for now,,but keep watching my oil. Also said,,,Nissan wont tell them exactly what is going on...Very cool dealership.

Ed...? Service manager
Richard....head mechanic. Awesome guys. both know about the oil consumption. If I left anything out, or if anyone has questions about my experience,,,feel free to PM me.

Since these guys are cool, if they ever find out more info and share with it you, PLEASE let us know, thanks.

John

Quick Reply: 06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!