Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
350Z_LMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antennahead
Since these guys are cool, if they ever find out more info and share with it you, PLEASE let us know, thanks.

John
+1. Still no clue as to what the cause might be here in Italy either, apparently Nissan will replace my engine and some cases have been heard of across europe (Z is RARE here)
Old 12-24-2006, 08:25 AM
MasterRacer

Guys thanks for all of the replies this is a serious problem we have on our hands here no matter who you are you need to keep an eye on your cars oil levels, I just checked my oil today and I am almost due for an oil change. I have 8,500 miles on my 06 base Z and guess what!! The dip stick is reading low, its maybe half an inch up from L iam like HOLY FOCK!!!!! OMG NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was sitting all night and checked this morning Iam pretty worried and upset. The car has not gone all of 3000 miles since last oil change and after several dipstick tries and blah i still get the same reading LOW, I will have to go to NISSAN ..........*sigh* damnit

Last edited by MasterRacer; 12-26-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Brocken

Low after 3k miles is within normal consumption. It's when you're consuming that quart in less than 1k miles that it's more than normal consumption.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:24 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by Brocken
Low after 3k miles is within normal consumption. It's when you're consuming that quart in less than 1k miles that it's more than normal consumption.

Normal? I dont think any car manufacturing calls 1 qt of consumption under 3k normal, serious problem! Its crap!
Old 12-25-2006, 05:44 PM
lilaznxboi08

piece of **** motor...
Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Brocken

I agree that the car shouldn't consume 1 quart in 3k miles but that's well within specs for almost any manufacturer.
A well designed/made engine should not consume more than a few drops of oil between oil changes.
I'm just giving you info to prepare you for your trip to the dealer.

It was a hard fought battle for me to get a resolution on my Z and it was up to 1 quart every 500 miles.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by Brocken
I agree that the car shouldn't consume 1 quart in 3k miles but that's well within specs for almost any manufacturer.
A well designed/made engine should not consume more than a few drops of oil between oil changes.
I'm just giving you info to prepare you for your trip to the dealer.

It was a hard fought battle for me to get a resolution on my Z and it was up to 1 quart every 500 miles.

Thanks for the info Brocken, and btw its only got bout 2500 miles since last oil change so I am getting oil changed before 3000 miles. I did read in the manual that is "Normal" to add oil but it mentioned nothing of whats abnormal consumption. I just want this documented at the dealer when I go in so if it gets worse they cant pull and BS on me.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Theatrix
Professional

Once I hit 10k, I now drink 1qt every 1k miles. Not sure yet what I'm going to do about it because of my intake and exhaust mods. I know I will have problems with the dealer once he sees the mods. I would have already been in for an oil consumption test.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 AM
MasterRacer

an intake and exhaust would make no difference with why your car is sipping oil lol I would see it being a problem if you blew out a MAF or something along those lines but it states in the manual that it is normal to add oil between oil changes and nothing about whats to much consumption. your car slightly more air in and pushing it out faster wouldn't have to do much with you losing 1 qt per 1000 miles. I can gurantee you if u take those mods off the problem wont clear up.

BTW fellas/gals I am headed to the dealer today! gonna inform them of my concerns and get oil consumption test started
Old 12-26-2006, 08:43 AM
GT3506MT

what do they do for an oil consumption test?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:52 AM
MasterRacer

Well the dealer near where I live is changing my oil today, Iam changing up to synthetic and also informed the individual that my car seems to be consuming to much oil between service intervals. They will change the oil and I will return according to them within 1000 miles and check the oil levels. I will take it from there we will see how it goes. BLAH
Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
MasterRacer

Alright ladies hold on to your Flannel panties lol

So I went to get my oil change done at the Dealer in Manasty, va (manassas)
and I speak to the master tech there. I told him that I was concerned that the oil level on my car seemed low and that I know its normal to add "some" oil between oil changes but it seemed to be sucking a little to much on the good old dinosaur juice! He stated that they had no reason for concern since they hadn't seen the vechicle at that dealership before and blah So I told them that I wasn't gonna go outa my way and drive 11 miles to the original dealer, Nissan is Niisan IS NISSSAN! He took note of everything and said that he had not heard of any problems with the 350z's and oil consumption that only the Altima's had been recalled. I was started to think well if its the V6 it's essentially the exact engine dur! So needless to say in 1000 miles I am going back and see what the deal is wish me luck muchachas!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 AM
rfinkle2

interesting that no dealers have heard of the oil consumption problems...

for the record, none of the techs or service managers that I have spoken to @ 4 dealerships in NJ even knew that the 05 anniversary and 06 MT motor is different than all the previous models.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by rfinkle2
interesting that no dealers have heard of the oil consumption problems...

for the record, none of the techs or service managers that I have spoken to @ 4 dealerships in NJ even knew that the 05 anniversary and 06 MT motor is different than all the previous models.

Yeah it scared me when I walked into a dealer and they had the 35th anniversary Z and the sticker read 287 hp. I was like ummm WTF???? I thought it was supposed to come with 300. No one at the dealership
could tell me so with that being said how are we supposed to trust'em?
Pretty sad
Old 12-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Lsmith9523

My dealer here in Conyers GA, knows of the oil consumption.....I was the second 06 from that dealer that had an engine replaced. I am not sure what mileage was on the first Z, but my engine was changed out at 1900 miles. They asked no questions,,,took it back, checked it over,,brought it back up front to me and said they just got off the phone with Techline and my new complete engine was ordered? Regardless,,,its all BS for the price of these cars.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Brocken

Most dealers will give you the bs about "never heard of that". It's a standard copout.
There's a slim chance they don't know about it though.
Just don't let them push you around.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 AM
rfinkle2

add me to the list of those going through the "oil consumption test"
Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

i have changed my oil yesterday and missing 2Q... got damn..
i ran about 4k miles. i am gonna check on this time, and do some action.
did anybody called HQ and ask about it?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Blue_Z

I had a scare yesterday... was driving in stop and go traffic and i noticed that every time i stopped short or suddenly, I could get the oil light to turn on, on demand. A few moments later my check engine light started blinking! I looked around and luckily there was a kragen at the end of the block. I bought a quart of 5W30 and poured half of it in. Got a bad dipstick reading but there was smoke coming out of the hole you put the oil in. I hope my car was okay. afterwards it ran fine, pressure improved as well but not back to the way it used to be when i first got the car. before pressure gauge was basically unresponsive to throttle, after adding oil pressure gauge needle moved same time as throttle was pushed.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
350Z_LMS

I mean fellas this is 2007 now and we're having problems with a high perfomance engine! Come on this is really bad stuff from Nissan. My fellow Italian friend *** is having his entire engine replaced and I will be following soon. My main concern is that THERE STILL IS NO EXPLANATION as to the abnormal oil consumption! What the hell is causing the problem? And: will the new engine solve the problem? I have a bad feeling about this...

Quick Reply: 06 Oil Burning question?? Please Lookie all you wiz Z guys!