Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Electrical issues (Man down, Man down)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:22 AM
HackneyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues (Man down, Man down)

Recently I installed a headunit in my 2003 enthusiast. After the install, my turn signal indicators in the car stopped working, my computer no longer retains information (i.e. trip distance, tire pressure, rpm...) and my odometer resets everytime I turn off the car. Oh yeah, and my mirror will no longer open my garage. The light on my mirror just stays green the entire time, even if I press it, it will still stay green. I checked all of the fuses inside of the car, and all of them seem to be fine. Can anyone help me out?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 AM
THE TECH

You must have shorted a wire. Double check your stereo connections to make sure there isn't a bare wire touching metal anywhere. Are you sure you checked ALL the fuses?? You actually pulled them out and inspected them?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 AM
HackneyG

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You must have shorted a wire. Double check your stereo connections to make sure there isn't a bare wire touching metal anywhere. Are you sure you checked ALL the fuses?? You actually pulled them out and inspected them?

How could I possibly short a wire when all that I disconnected was harnesses? I'll double check again, but I am pretty sure that none of the fuses are blown. This sucks, I don't want to take it to the stealership.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:24 AM
THE TECH

Well the last place I would take it to was the dealership. If the only thing that changed was that you did a stereo install, then most likely it was something that you did while doing the install. I'd double check all connections.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 AM
srobert910

There is a secondary fuse panel located close to the firewall behind the battery. You'll have to take the plastic panels that cover the battery area off. It has a black cover over the fuse panel. Quite a few of the constant power circuits run through that panel, radio constant, parking lights etc... That's where I would check first. Also if you pulled the center console for any reason, you might have unplugged the hazard switch.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 AM
HackneyG

Originally Posted by srobert910
There is a secondary fuse panel located close to the firewall behind the battery. You'll have to take the plastic panels that cover the battery area off. It has a black cover over the fuse panel. Quite a few of the constant power circuits run through that panel, radio constant, parking lights etc... That's where I would check first. Also if you pulled the center console for any reason, you might have unplugged the hazard switch.

Thanks, I'll check the fuses behind the battery, I forgot about those.

Also if you pulled the center console for any reason, you might have unplugged the hazard switch.
The hazards still work. The indicators in the gauge cluster don't work. You know, the ones that tell you that the hazards lights are on.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
GixxerSteve

I know this is bumping an old thread, but I had the same exact problem. I was messing around with the aftermarket Clarion HU in my 2003 Performance. After I put it all back together, the turn signal indicator lights on the dash werent working or clicking, the trip odometer was resetting to zero every time I turned the car off, and the TPMS light was on. Since I know that all of my wiring connections were solid, I checked the fuses on the driver's side kick panel. Found the 10 amp fuse for "electronics" blown. Replaced it and everything works fine again.

The only thing I can figure is that I did turn on the ignition while I had all of the center console harnesses disconnected (the white box, the hazard switch, the upper gauges). Perhaps that creates a fault or short and blows the fuse?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Chuck1000rr

Talking

Originally Posted by GixxerSteve
I know this is bumping an old thread, but I had the same exact problem. I was messing around with the aftermarket Clarion HU in my 2003 Performance. After I put it all back together, the turn signal indicator lights on the dash werent working or clicking, the trip odometer was resetting to zero every time I turned the car off, and the TPMS light was on. Since I know that all of my wiring connections were solid, I checked the fuses on the driver's side kick panel. Found the 10 amp fuse for "electronics" blown. Replaced it and everything works fine again.

The only thing I can figure is that I did turn on the ignition while I had all of the center console harnesses disconnected (the white box, the hazard switch, the upper gauges). Perhaps that creates a fault or short and blows the fuse?
Gixxer man, you are a life saver I had the same problem you guys described I cheked the fuses none blown but took them all out and put them back like the panel said and "BAM" it works. now just need it to get into promaming mode for the fob, thought this would solve that issue. mabe i need to drive it foe a while and try it againg. thanks for bumping this old tread.