Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Burned over 2.5 quarts of oil in 3k miles!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Spiffyguitar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned over 2.5 quarts of oil in 3k miles!!

I got a major wake up call tonight when I discovered that I've been burning oil big time. My 2006 350z mt was broken in properely and I performed two oil changes with regular oil, before changing to Royal Purple full synthetic at around 7000 miles.

On my second change I noticed that my oil level was a little low (-.5qts or so), but nothing major, and with my mixed driving habits (hard and easy driving) I didn't think much of it. At that time I also put on a set of test pipes. I started noticing that my exhaust tips were turing completely black between car washes (about once a week) and are damn near impossible to keep clean. I assumed it was the price you pay for a dirty exhaust system... but now realize that I'm burning so much oil that it's most likely the cause of the major black build up.

I've put a lot of miles on my car within a short time, and check my oil regularly... I haven't checked it in the past 3 weeks or so and it took 2.5 quarts of oil!!! I had checked it a couple of weeks after the last change, and things were fine, but I was shocked! Also earlier in day my oil light poped on for a half second or so under hard cornering (prompted me to check things out) but I never expected that.

I ran synthetic (Mobile 1) in my 2003 350z without a problem... maybe it's a Royal Purple thing? Maybe my 2006 doesn't like synthetic? Maybe I need to get my *** to a dealership? I'm going to switch to a non synthetic on Thursday and keep an eye on things. If the problem continues after that I'm going to de-mod my car and take it to a dealership to see what's up?

Does anyone have any ideas or imput? I'm hoping that an oil change will do the trick. I've maintained good oil pressure, and haven't seen a drop of oil on my garage floor, or parking spot at work (no signs of leaks anywhere). What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM
John Bronze

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/232332-revup-oil-consumption-tsb-and-discussion.html
Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Spiffyguitar

Wow... thanks... sucks to see so many owners are experiencing the same thing. (
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
bam025

recently had this problem...not as bad but still burning some. Talked with Doug and he said the VQ burns more if the oil is synthetic. So I switched backed to regular, (its what he runs). Will know more at next oil change....drew
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM
zman1910

Originally Posted by bam025
recently had this problem...not as bad but still burning some. Talked with Doug and he said the VQ burns more if the oil is synthetic. So I switched backed to regular, (its what he runs). Will know more at next oil change....drew
I was actually wondering about that bc in my 04 when I used conventional oil..things were great for the first 10k miles. Then I switched to Royal Purple synthetic and I was also losing oil....kinda strange

I now have an 06 with ~20k miles of conventional oil use and very little/barely any oil consumption at my 3k intervals. The way I look at it is I'd rather change my oil twice in smaller intervals for the price of one synthetic change. Keeps things more fresh anyhow and current dino oil is markedly better than the past
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
plumpzz

synthetic oil tends to be thinner when cold, so there could be more blowby. (my guess). just run regular dino oil. why try to fix something thats not broke?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Spiffyguitar

Thanks guys! I'm going to switch to regular oil after the dyno day this weekend. I was amazed to see just how much oil my car was burning. It's crazy to burn half (or even more) of your oil between changes.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
chishifu

aren't you never supposed to go back after switching to synthetic?

and i also have a very very noobish question, but how are you guys checking your oil level? The dipstick only goes down 1 qt and so to measure any drop below that you'd have to drain the oil out? Sorry for this.

ChiShi
Old 03-16-2007, 11:53 AM
jondimellow

Originally Posted by chishifu

and i also have a very very noobish question, but how are you guys checking your oil level? The dipstick only goes down 1 qt and so to measure any drop below that you'd have to drain the oil out? Sorry for this.

ChiShi

1. find container with measurement levels. (empty oil bottles work)
2. empty engine oil into BIG container (not the quart bottles)
3. use funnel and put oil from big container in the empty mottles of oil
4. count how many quarts u filled up
5. original u put in - how many u count = how much oil u burned

come on berkeley .....
Old 03-16-2007, 09:00 PM
bam025

spoke with Doug about this as well, he said there is no harm when switching back to regular from synthetic...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 PM
bam025

Originally Posted by chishifu
aren't you never supposed to go back after switching to synthetic?

ChiShi

Spoke with Doug about this as well, and he said it wouldnt be a problem switching back to regular from synthetic...
Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
03aeroZ

i keep seeing people talk about their 05 and 06 having this problem. anyone with an 03 with this problem? j/c. i run synthetic, am going to switch back next change....only burn off a little.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Spiffyguitar

I just got back from the dyno today... I changed my oil to Mobile 1 the other day. I'm going to keep my eye on it and switch to a good non synthetic soon if I have to.

Here's the link to my oil burning Z's dyno chart... haha
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/256950-dyno-ed-my-mostly-stock-06-touring-6mt-today.html
Old 04-09-2007, 07:09 AM
nosurf2day

I have the same problem, I am burning about a quart every 3K I was using mobile 1 synthetic, I changed to amsoil and I still have the same problem.. I am going to switch back. I changed out my plugs yesterday And there was carbon build up on all the plugs. Plug 1 had a small amount of oil on it, it was wet but not soked, do you think that is from blow by or another issue. I thought that was where my oil consumption was coming from now I am not so sure. I am going to take it in to have it loooked at, I just need to take it back to stock first. I have a turbo inn the garadge and am very apprehensive about throwing it on until I know what the issue is.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
tmak26b

been using synthetic since 3000 miles (changed oil once at 1000 and then 3000), never had to use more than .75 quarts of oil in between my 5000 miles interval
Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Spiffyguitar

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
I have the same problem, I am burning about a quart every 3K I was using mobile 1 synthetic, I changed to amsoil and I still have the same problem.. I am going to switch back. I changed out my plugs yesterday And there was carbon build up on all the plugs. Plug 1 had a small amount of oil on it, it was wet but not soked, do you think that is from blow by or another issue. I thought that was where my oil consumption was coming from now I am not so sure. I am going to take it in to have it loooked at, I just need to take it back to stock first. I have a turbo inn the garadge and am very apprehensive about throwing it on until I know what the issue is.
I switched from Royal Purple back to Mobile 1 (which is what I use to use in my '03.) I still have consumption problems, but not AS bad (not great) I still am burning around a half quart or so at 1000 miles since my last change.

I'm debating on putting it back to stock, and taking it to the dealer but it's such a pain in the ***. I'm in the same boat with the turbo... I've been wanting to throw a TT on my Z, but I'm not too sure if that's a great idea with the issues it's having.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar

I still am burning around a half quart or so at 1000 miles since my last change.

i thought the dealer would not consider it as an oil burning issue if it's less than 1 quart at 1000 mile intervals. You might want to verify with your nissan dealer.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Spiffyguitar

Originally Posted by Ztalker
i thought the dealer would not consider it as an oil burning issue if it's less than 1 quart at 1000 mile intervals. You might want to verify with your nissan dealer.
Yeah... think that's what I've heard, but the story varries. I checked again, and it's closer to 3/4, and that's with me driving it a little less spirited than normal (although I've had a few races and dyno pulls since the last change). Mobile 1 is doing a little better than Royal Purple. I'm going to monitor it a little better, and switch to dyno oil if I'm still burning at the current rates.

I know good synthetic (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobile 1), but don't know a lot of good dyno oils... any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar
I know good synthetic (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobile 1), but don't know a lot of good dyno oils... any suggestions?
You can try Castrol GTX or Mobil Clean 5000
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Spiffyguitar

Originally Posted by Bevo
You can try Castrol GTX or Mobil Clean 5000
Thanks... I've pretty much always used synthetic, so I'm not good at picking out the higher quality dyno oils.

Quick Reply: Burned over 2.5 quarts of oil in 3k miles!!