30k Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:04 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry for bringing this back from the two month dead

I just got quoted 590 plus tax for the 30k service.

My car is in for a new tranny and my window motor. I guess they wanted to get a little bit of money out of it. O well. I guess I am doing a 30k service at the ole garage

Thanks for all the links guys

Chris
Old 07-10-2007, 05:59 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were talking $50-$75 worth of fluids for that 30k upgrade. Unless they are doing all your belts, brake pads, turn/machine rotors, i would tell them to take a long walk off a short bridge. To the garage you go.... half the fluids dont even need changing at 30k.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Ztalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

Almost everything else the dealer does it total BS, "inspect seat belts" "check lights and horn"

please don't pay anyone 500 bucks to check windshield washer fluid or replace the air in your tires with 07 air. AS a matter of fact, dump all your windshield washer to lighten your Z.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by hersilverbullet
That shows me the differential fluid. Sorry for the ignorance here, but does it also apply to chanign out the manual transmission fluid?
I took my Z to a local Avis Lube/JIffy Lube and if you bring the stuff they charge $20 per item, ie, $20 for the trans flush, $20 for the Diff flush! I talked with the manager and he personally changed my fluids. Now I will take it for now on. He even lets me stand there and watch him change it. And the plus thing is, they don't drive the car at all! I bought the fluids, Motul gear oil (trans/diff use the same oil) on line!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by zand02max
I took my Z to a local Avis Lube/JIffy Lube and if you bring the stuff they charge $20 per item, ie, $20 for the trans flush, $20 for the Diff flush! I talked with the manager and he personally changed my fluids. Now I will take it for now on. He even lets me stand there and watch him change it. And the plus thing is, they don't drive the car at all! I bought the fluids, Motul gear oil (trans/diff use the same oil) on line!
Wow! Thats cool, I didnt know jiffy lube did that! I may have to look into that in the future.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
ANXIOUZ

Yeah, I only partially trust those guys though. The last time I hit one of those places for an oil change they wanted to (1) replace my air filter (I have a popcharger) and (2) rotate my tires (I'm staggered). That worried me a little bit. But I think they do the entire diff oil replacement for around $70 or something. I trust them with fluid replacement, but have concerns about their up-selling knowledge.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Good to know.

Well I am doing the the 30k service myself(help of mechanic). Were should I get my parts. From Nissan? The belts, microfilter(incabin), and what fluids? Ill contact Jeff or The boys at Performance Nissan...

Chris
Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
when you guys change the fluid, do you go all out and drain the block and the radiator, or do you just do the radiator?
Since I only do this about every 3 years on average with a car, I do all of it. If you don't, you get something like half the fluid replaced - what's the point of that? Radiator, Block, AND Heater Hoses, Heater Core, etc.

If you've ever owned a car where the heater core corroded due to lack of complete fluid change, or coolant leaked into the interior because some fitting corroded, you'd know why to me this is a no-brainer.

Since disposing of the coolant properly due to where I live (middle of nowhere) is a hassle, when I had the G in for a recall repair around 30k miles I just had the dealer do it - sure, I paid more for the coolant per gallon, etc, but I didn't have to make a special trip somewhere else to dump the coolant. Plus cats love coolant; if you spill it, clean it up, or explain to kids why Snowflake is looking dead. Don't leave it sitting around uncovered, either.

I also know by the charges (unless they are complete liars) how much coolant went back in, so if I have any engine issues related to overheating or inadequate coolant, it's much easier to argue "warranty" - and I still have some miles and/or another year left on that.

All the other fluids listed, I do myself. There's a nearby town transfer station tank for oil, but not for coolant. I think they sell the oil off to someone who somehow recycles it into something else.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Wow! Thats cool, I didnt know jiffy lube did that! I may have to look into that in the future.
Be careful, most are high school dropouts. Stop in, get a feel for the service area and speak to the manager.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
SteveZ

Great compromise, good fluids and low cost - I'd otherwise be really skeptical of ever taking the car to Jiffy Lube, you have a good setup. I use the Motul fluids, too, which the dealer would just turn their nose up at and charge you a lot more labor to make up for the lack of markup on bulk qty fluids.

LOL about new air filter when you have a popcharger - next thing he'll tell you he can't legally let you drive out of there w/o a new air filter.

Just be careful - I recall my mother's Scirroco 16V coming out of one of those places without an oil cap on the engine, she didn't get too far and thankfully pulled over when the idiot light came on (and I think that one even had a gauge). What a mess.