Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Remove Hood To Replace Fender????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
IBMBROKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Hood To Replace Fender????

My wife put a nice ding in the wheel arch on the passenger side fender. Repair shop wants almost $1200 to fix. In the labor estimate they list REMOVE and INSTALL front bumper cover, hood, right and left headlight assemblies. Is all this necessary? Can;t a fender come right off without tearing half the car apart?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

i think they want to take off the hood to prevent scratching / damaging it during the repairs. there are screws that are accessible with the hood up, but with the hood off, there's alot more room to work with.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of Florida are you in? I know someone that can do much better than that.

i hit a mail box with my passenger fender. Put a solid dent in the bend of the fender. The garbage cans scratched all down my door. Half the fender and the entire door needed to be resprayed, and the ding on the fender smoothed out. $300 for everything. I'm a little west of Tampa in Pinellas County. If that is reasonably close to you, i can hook you up with someone that wont rip you off. He matched my '03 DB dead on, couldn't tell it had been sprayed. Let me knwo, would hate to see you spend that match.

Last edited by HondaKiller; 07-27-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 AM
IBMBROKER

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
i think they want to take off the hood to prevent scratching / damaging it during the repairs. there are screws that are accessible with the hood up, but with the hood off, there's alot more room to work with.
The guy that gave me the estimate was actually apologizing and said he would see what he could do. I have no problem with the shop making a profit but removing the entire front of the car to replace a tiny fender just seems unnecessary; they even asked if this would be insurance or self pay. Like that should make a difference!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 PM
IBMBROKER

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
What part of Florida are you in? I know someone that can do much better than that.

i hit a mail box with my passenger fender. Put a nice dent on the wheel bend portion of the fender. only cost me $300 to get it fixed though $1200 seems a little steap figuring you could buy the fender and the paint for probably $300. Your getting bent over from my point of view, but cars are expensive to get fixed no denying that. If you are interested in taking it somewhere else, let me know. I'm a little west of tampa in Pinellas County.
Thanks for the offer HK, I'm in the Orlando area. Appreciate the offer, want to see what kind of a deal I can make here first though. Also, the repair shop is going to adjust a door and reinstall a clear brake light from the last injury at no charge (their fault anyway). I told the guy I wanted a better number, will see what happens. West of Tampa, isn't that the Gulf Of Mexico!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha, no i'm on the little dingle berry that hangs off the other side of the coast Let me know mang, i know its a little hike out this way, but hell for the price difference you could take a miny vacation in a beach resort down the street from the shop... lol Let me know how things turn out.