Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Brake & Battery Lights on!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Jes-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake & Battery Lights on!

My Brake Light and Battery Light are on on my cluster while I drive. It goes away when I rev the motor. At idle it comes back on. I'm thinking it's an Alternator Issue. Can't be a battery since I just installed a Optima Red Top. My Stocker croaked @ 36K miles.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:22 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you have to special order that red top? I got mine and it wasn't the reverse top and the wires wouldn't stretch. Was a PITA to get the right one, but all around has been an excellent battery.

The only true way to tell if your altenator is fading is to have it hooked up and the outgoing amps tested. That way you will be able to tell how far off the ampage is compared to what it is supposed to be for a new altenator. From the sounds of it though, it does sound like it's not charging fully, or one of belts/wires is ate up. When altenators are fading, they usually make a ticking noise. Check your's for that, and that will help identify the problem further. Hope that helped, let me know how things turn out.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Ryco

One of my drive belts popped on me the other day and the brake and battery light both came on so that could be it maybe. But I also lost my power steering when that happened.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Jes-Z

As of last night. Lights never came on again. It was raining really bad at the time, maybe I had a belt running loose and it's back on track. I'm going to take it to the mechanic next week.

As for the battery, I did get the wrong one. But I managed to connect it by loosening the surrounding wires.