Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Grinding noise from gear 1 to gear 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 PM
elake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise from gear 1 to gear 2

My 04 z has some grinding noise when upshifting from gear 1 to 2.
I swear I pressed the clutch all the way down, but over 80% of the time I can clearly hear the noise.

It's said that there is a TSB for this maybe the tranny need to be replaced. But can't find more info anywhere.

I appreciate if anyone can give me more information about this. My z is still under warranty. want to get it fixed before it expired.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:57 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It is a typical problem. The synchro's go bad in these trannys. Most of the time it is the 5th gear synchro.

I'm sorry to report that I am on my 5th tranny.

Be sure to demand a version 9. Since you have an 04 model the dealer will probably try and give you an 8 . . . . . do not accept this.

If you use this forums search feature, you will find many many threads about this problem.

JCat.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

they superceed to the cd009
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
elake

Thanks JCat. What's the part # for the version 9 tranny?

Just got this 04 z so I'm still a newbie here. Thanks again for your help. Will search the forum for more details.

Originally Posted by JCat
It is a typical problem. The synchro's go bad in these trannys. Most of the time it is the 5th gear synchro.

I'm sorry to report that I am on my 5th tranny.

Be sure to demand a version 9. Since you have an 04 model the dealer will probably try and give you an 8 . . . . . do not accept this.

If you use this forums search feature, you will find many many threads about this problem.

JCat.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
elake

Never mind I googled the part # 32010-CD009. Thanks guys. Will try my luck at the stealership.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
elake

After fighting with dealer for two days, finally they agreed to get me a new tranny... At first they said couldn't duplicate the problem. I drove around with the manager, who is quite nice and signed his name on the order form for a new tranny. Everything looks great here.

Then it comes the ugly thing. He said since we gonna take off the clutch anyway, why don't you replace it in the same time? I felt that the clutch is very cliffy. I can give you a discount and the total for clutch & flywheel is $13xx. He also made a long list of recommended service including ps flush, coolant flush, diff flush etc...

well, my z has 30K miles on it. Yeah I'm not a good stick driver. but I still feel the clutch is in working condition. Every gear is quite smooth except 1st to 2nd. I denied all his suggestions and just want to change the tranny. He looked quite pissed off...

Did I do anything wrong?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
JCat
---------------

Tell them that you wish to SEE the flywheel and the pressure plate when they have it all apart.

If you see burned (or cracked) areas on the flywheel and/or the pressure plate (these are areas where the metal has a dark and burnt appearance) REPLACE THEM.

The burned areas indicate that excessive heat has damaged them.

My recommendation is to definately replace the clutch disk and the throw-out bearing while it is all apart.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 AM
elake

Thanks JCat. Will give them a call asking for the quote for clutch disk and brearing. Do you have any idea how much these usually cost?

Will check the flywheel & pressure plate personally and decide then.

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
JCat
---------------

Click here for pictures and pricing
Old 09-06-2007, 08:06 AM
elake

Stealer called up just now and tried everything he can to persuade me to get a new clutch installed. All kind of crap like disk is worn out, flywheel is broken etc.

I asked him if the new tranny arrived. He said yes it's sitting next to your car and will be put in right away. He couldn't give me the tranny part # when I asked for it.

I have a feeling that he is just trying to rip me off for a new clutch without doing anything for the transmission replacement. Is that possible? They couldn't even tell me the part # for the new tranny!

I really doubt they can get a new tranny this fast. Ordered yesterday and received this morning from NISSAN.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he trying to get his mechanic paid for the transmission from the profit he would make off the clutch. That way he would break even on his budget instead of losing money due to the tranny install under warranty. If you are going to buy a new clutch, i'd be damned to pay 1300+ for ANOTHER OEM clutch, when you can get something just as good for half that price. (including the damn flywheel) Dont let them bend you over, take the free tranny and replace the clutch when it goes bad. I have 52k on my stock clutch and it doesn't have any problems -minus a little squeak.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
elake

Thanks I'll stop by to take a look at the clutch personally after work.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 AM
JCat
---------------

I have been through the exact same scenario . . . dealer strongly insisted on replacing the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing . . . . . . for $1,300.

After looking at how burnt-up my flywheel and pressure plate was, I caved and spent the money.

Be aware that the stock replacement is actually more expensive than aftermarket. You can save a lot of money going aftermarket.

Most of the aftermarket clutches and flywheels are lighter in weight. Their flywheels lack the shock absorbing spring mechanism that makes the STOCK clutch so much QUIETER (and expensive).

If you search on this forum, you will discover that some members who have installed aftermarket flywheels and clutches complain of "chatter" or excessive noise. Some are okay with it, because they enjoy the change in the ability of the engine to rev to a higher RPM quicker.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
elake

How many miles did you put when replacing the clutch? Mine only has 30K miles so far and I don't think it's a must to replace clutch. I'll take a look after work and post some pics of the clutch here.

Originally Posted by JCat
I have been through the exact same scenario . . . dealer strongly insisted on replacing the flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing . . . . . . for $1,300.

After looking at how burnt-up my flywheel and pressure plate was, I caved and spent the money.

Be aware that the stock replacement is actually more expensive than aftermarket. You can save a lot of money going aftermarket.

Most of the aftermarket clutches and flywheels are lighter in weight. Their flywheels lack the shock absorbing spring mechanism that makes the STOCK clutch so much QUIETER (and expensive).

If you search on this forum, you will discover that some members who have installed aftermarket flywheels and clutches complain of "chatter" or excessive noise. Some are okay with it, because they enjoy the change in the ability of the engine to rev to a higher RPM quicker.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM
JCat
---------------

I replaced mine at about 30k miles.

The clutch or friction disk had life left in it. There was still plenty of friction material on it.

It was the burnt areas on the flywheel and pressure plate that convinced me to replace them . . . and any time you replace them, you should replace the clutch disk and throwout bearing too.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 PM
shift-er

When my tranny was getting replaced under warranty i got a clutch and flywheel for free too. Maybe they just liked me or something.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:35 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same sound between 1st & 2nd gear, so I jokingly told the service rep when I was havin the oil changed that the tranny was making grinding noises. All I really wanted was for em to change out the fluid in the pumpkin & tranny for free. stealership calls me later that afternoon saying that they are replacing the tranny, Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing all under warranty.
Don't understand why your dealership is trying to charge you for parts that are related to the failed tranny or labor charges if you Z is still under warranty...
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 PM
VN_350z
Banned

i had the same problem since i bought the car brand new in 2004.
it's the synchro. no big deal.

now, my car is at 47K miles and no problem with trans
Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Kabs

im having the same damn problem...

i got an appoint to get my oil changed this thurs....

so what should i say, show them to make them not screw me over or try to trick me. Im gonna search for the TSB thing online and print that out if anything

Edit i did not find anythin about gear grinding etc.... any help would be great

Last edited by Kabs; 09-17-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kabs
im having the same damn problem...

i got an appoint to get my oil changed this thurs....

so what should i say, show them to make them not screw me over or try to trick me. Im gonna search for the TSB thing online and print that out if anything

Edit i did not find anythin about gear grinding etc.... any help would be great
NO need to raise hell with your service rep, I simply told em about the problem and left it at that, Nissan knows the car & the issues with owning a Z car. If you car is under warranty the dealer should cover all expenses, on parts & labor under warranty, I can only hope that you car is still under warranty. I have learned to talk the Nissan with a civil tounge, demands don't work with my dealership, they have most likely heard every story you could imagine. The truth is all that is needed, I read about this idea on My350z

Quick Reply: Grinding noise from gear 1 to gear 2