Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
bardabe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srsairbags
my car sputters after every cold startup . . but would never sputter when fully warmed up . . (10 mins idle)

noob question again . . but as soon as you do that (unplug sensor), wouldnt the ECM just go to limp mode and just run in open loop ?
according to Cypher it just puts the over lap for intake and exhaust at 0* that's why the car feels so much slower. but it still revs past 2500 no problem and drives to redline
Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM
srsairbags

im trying to get nissan usa to have someone . . . preferably a ecm tech to join in on this thread . . . . waiting for a response
Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 PM
FastGreg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job

For my part; I waiting for a ECU tune... To see if it solve the issue!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:51 AM
BlaQ350z

Ok guys, i think we have finally found the solution. I was talking to a Nissan tech here in Kuwait, and he had a customer that was persistent about solving the problem. The tech guy communicated with Nissan and found that by disabling the VCT until the engine reached a certain operating temp was the only way Nissan could solve this issue. I hope this gives you guys some insight on the issue and i also hope someone will try this out.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 AM
srsairbags

Angry

Originally Posted by BlaQ350z
Ok guys, i think we have finally found the solution. I was talking to a Nissan tech here in Kuwait, and he had a customer that was persistent about solving the problem. The tech guy communicated with Nissan and found that by disabling the VCT until the engine reached a certain operating temp was the only way Nissan could solve this issue. I hope this gives you guys some insight on the issue and i also hope someone will try this out.
mine does not have VDC (enthusiast) . . . but i tried turning traction control on/off . . no change in sputter
Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM
BlaQ350z

mine does not have VDC (enthusiast) . . . but i tried turning traction control on/off . . no change in sputter
He was not talking about VDC, i think it was variable cam timing (VCT). It requires reprogramming your ECM. Your Nissan dealer can request this programming from Nissan Japan. I need to get more info from the technician, i will post more details once i get back from my event.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 AM
srsairbags

He was not talking about VDC, i think it was variable cam timing (VCT). It requires reprogramming your ECM. Your Nissan dealer can request this programming from Nissan Japan. I need to get more info from the technician, i will post more details once i get back from my event.
that was awfully stupid of mee . . .

thanks for the info . . . please keep us posted
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
ap2_S2Kyle

hey srs just noticed your in plantation so am i, hope to see u around..just got my solar orange a couple weeks ago
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 AM
srsairbags

Originally Posted by ap2_S2Kyle
hey srs just noticed your in plantation so am i, hope to see u around..just got my solar orange a couple weeks ago
sure . . see you in local meets https://my350z.com/forum/south-east-33/

regarding VCT . . ill try out Motul 300v synthetic ester 5w30 to see if that helps . . in my next oil change
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
BlaQ350z

regarding VCT . . ill try out Motul 300v synthetic ester 5w30 to see if that helps . . in my next oil change

I don't think oil will help you, i tried 5w 30, 0w 40 and 20w 50 (i think, 20w 50 non synthetic is what Nissan recommends for Kuwaiti 350z ) and continues to sputter, i think the reprogramming is the only fix that Nissan can come up with.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
srsairbags

I don't think oil will help you, i tried 5w 30, 0w 40 and 20w 50 (i think, 20w 50 non synthetic is what Nissan recommends for Kuwaiti 350z ) and continues to sputter, i think the reprogramming is the only fix that Nissan can come up with.
well . . this guy somehow got the sputtering to fix with an ester based synthetic 5W30 oil and a larger oil pan . . initially i was also skeptical of this . . but now that you mention VCT . . i think oil is a major player as the VCT works on oil pressure in our cars (not 100% sure) . .

post #340 in this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/6840201-post340.html
Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 PM
BlaQ350z

well . . this guy somehow got the sputtering to fix with an ester based synthetic 5W30 oil and a larger oil pan . . initially i was also skeptical of this . . but now that you mention VCT . . i think oil is a major player as the VCT works on oil pressure in our cars (not 100% sure) . .

post #340 in this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/6840201-post340.html
I guess you might be right, do you have any idea where we can get our hands on this oil? I wouldn't mind trying this out, sure is better than disabling VCT.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
bardabe

Motul is Easter based oil, and the OEM oil they use on 370Z and G37 as well.

however.... disable the cam phasing until warm problem solved. Easter oil wont fix it. i tried it. after a few hundred miles it comes back. just like resetting the ECU.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM
srsairbags

Originally Posted by bardabe
Motul is Easter based oil, and the OEM oil they use on 370Z and G37 as well.

however.... disable the cam phasing until warm problem solved. Easter oil wont fix it. i tried it. after a few hundred miles it comes back. just like resetting the ECU.
ive also heard that OEM Nissan Ester oil for G37 are pretty crappy when it comes to engine protection . . . . Motul 300v on the other hand, ive heard is pretty amazing . . . which oil did you try ?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
bardabe

ive also heard that OEM Nissan Ester oil for G37 are pretty crappy when it comes to engine protection . . . . Motul 300v on the other hand, ive heard is pretty amazing . . . which oil did you try ?
both, Motul 300V has ok protection but not for extended periods of time. not worth the Money IMO.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...My 08 HR has this problem. 25K miles on the odometer.

I run Redline 5w30 ester oil.

I have the VDC fully disabled at all times using a KPierson module.

ECU has been reflashed using Uprev's Osiris.

So all these theories did not fix the problem.

Mine does is 'usually' in the morning, during the first 5-10 minutes. I also have an engine oil warmer that I have on a timer for 2 hours before I wake up, and I warm up my car for an additional 10 minutes before I drive it (via remote start).
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
nokimchi2

Originally Posted by 2fasst
Well...My 08 HR has this problem. 25K miles on the odometer.

I run Redline 5w30 ester oil.

I have the VDC fully disabled at all times using a KPierson module.

ECU has been reflashed using Uprev's Osiris.

So all these theories did not fix the problem.

Mine does is 'usually' in the morning, during the first 5-10 minutes. I also have an engine oil warmer that I have on a timer for 2 hours before I wake up, and I warm up my car for an additional 10 minutes before I drive it (via remote start).
welcome to the club
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 AM
srsairbags

ok . . im having a weird hunch that as the engines keep on sputtering (even for whatever little time) at every start up, engine components are gonna get messed up . . like the spark plugs etc may be getting fouled etc . . do you guys agree ? . . . point being . . down the road . . after a few years . .we will be needing an overhaul maybe much sooner than the guys who do not sputter . . or atleast spark plug replacement etc . . has anyone seen the spark plugs for their cars that sputter ? ?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM
bapestah

WOOOOAHH woooahh wait before you jump on the Motul 300v. I dont know if it's coincidence or not but my sputter started occurring after I switched to motul and put my exhaust on. I'm not blaming the oil, cause i changed it and never used it again, and my car still sputters, but i'm just giving you my opinion. I had some fancy master tech from Nissan tell me that our cars literally run best with regular oil, so for extra protection i run regular synthetic every 5k. But i will forever stay away from ester oil after my experience.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
srsairbags

Originally Posted by bapestah
WOOOOAHH woooahh wait before you jump on the Motul 300v. I dont know if it's coincidence or not but my sputter started occurring after I switched to motul and put my exhaust on. I'm not blaming the oil, cause i changed it and never used it again, and my car still sputters, but i'm just giving you my opinion. I had some fancy master tech from Nissan tell me that our cars literally run best with regular oil, so for extra protection i run regular synthetic every 5k. But i will forever stay away from ester oil after my experience.
when i bought my car 06/2010 . . it had 30k miles and was running a synthetic blend of Castrol . .sputter was mild . . . i did an oil change with Valvoline Synthetic . . sputter came out n was fully noticeable . . . ran 2 changes of mobil1 5w30 . . . sputter became slightly more imo . . ran GC 0w30 . . now the timing of sputter is much earlier after startup . . . im confused as hell . . . im getting the picture that oil is definitely related . . . i actually tryed to get Motul but couldnt find it anywhere . . . am thinking about the redline 5w30 (which is also ester based)

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up