Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
archangel72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember when the last time I posted on this thread was, but my Z has not sputtered for a long time. I haven't even thought about it. It might have stopped when I last changed my oil. I went with a sythetic blend from nissan. However, I will state that I used to wait until the engine was warmed up, and thats when it sputtered. I just put it in gear shortly after I start the engine and haven't had that problem...........yes, I'm confused too.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
bapestah

Originally Posted by srsairbags
when i bought my car 06/2010 . . it had 30k miles and was running a synthetic blend of Castrol . .sputter was mild . . . i did an oil change with Valvoline Synthetic . . sputter came out n was fully noticeable . . . ran 2 changes of mobil1 5w30 . . . sputter became slightly more imo . . ran GC 0w30 . . now the timing of sputter is much earlier after startup . . . im confused as hell . . . im getting the picture that oil is definitely related . . . i actually tryed to get Motul but couldnt find it anywhere . . . am thinking about the redline 5w30 (which is also ester based)
I bought Motul at a performance shop in Miami and it didn't last a week on my car -___- I originally thought oil HAD to influence the issue but it's been about 6 oil changes since it began occurring and i've yet to see a change no matter the difference in oil
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
srsairbags

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bapestah
I bought Motul at a performance shop in Miami and it didn't last a week on my car -___- I originally thought oil HAD to influence the issue but it's been about 6 oil changes since it began occurring and i've yet to see a change no matter the difference in oil
at this point im soo desparate that ill try anything that i can to see if things change . . i can only assume that things will get better . . .cause my car sputters everyday without fail
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM
D'sNuts

My car was doing this so I reset the tps via manual instructions and it stopped
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
bardabe

just get your car tunned, and have the Cam Phasing disabled until its at operating temp. it's not like you are going to drive your car hard when it's cold right? so power loss wont be aparent, no sputter problem solved. it's not hard guys.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by srsairbags
ok . . im having a weird hunch that as the engines keep on sputtering (even for whatever little time) at every start up, engine components are gonna get messed up . . like the spark plugs etc may be getting fouled etc . . do you guys agree ? . . . point being . . down the road . . after a few years . .we will be needing an overhaul maybe much sooner than the guys who do not sputter . . or atleast spark plug replacement etc . . has anyone seen the spark plugs for their cars that sputter ? ?
Mine's been sputtering for over 3 years now. So far no noticeable signs of major damage.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
srsairbags

Originally Posted by stylett9
Mine's been sputtering for over 3 years now. So far no noticeable signs of major damage.
have you looked at your spark plugs ? would sputtering foul plugs ?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
FastGreg

Dear All,

Could you please have a look on the following web page with Google translator:

http://oppama-garage.jp/maintenance_..._20070408.html

http://translate.google.fr/translate..._20070408.html

So, what do you think about it ?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 AM
srsairbags

goodness . . awesome find fastgreg . . . i couldnt go through the whole page, but this is further proof that the VCT system is causing the sputter and the engine oil could be the culprit here . . but i couldnt make much out at the end . . is the article asking us to go thinner than 5w30 ? . . any suggestions ? ?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
FastGreg

No, as I understand, 5W30 only, they do several test with 5w30 oils.

http://translate.google.com/translat..._20070912.html

And this is the oil recommended by Nissan for the VQ35HR:

oil_keep_200903.pdf

But... Nismo just issued an Ester oil made by Motul for the VQ35HR which is an 0w30 oil...

Nismo%20Competition%20Oil%202108E%200W30_GB[1].pdf

So...

Currently, I run with the Motul 300V 5w40, and with sputtering...

My ECU has been tuned, I changed my spark plugs last Sunday, cleaned the MAF, the throttlle bodies, and it is still sputtering !

Previously I changed the O2 sensors.

Still no DTC !

Next level: 5w30 300V oil...

Last edited by FastGreg; 03-07-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
srsairbags

Smile

Originally Posted by FastGreg
No, as I understand, 5W30 only, they do several test with 5w30 oils.

http://translate.google.com/translat..._20070912.html

And this is the oil recommended by Nissan for the VQ35HR:

Attachment 310198

But... Nismo just issued an Ester oil made by Motul for the VQ35HR which is an 0w30 oil...

Attachment 310199

So...

Currently, I run with the Motul 300V 5w40, and with sputtering...

My ECU has been tuned, I changed my spark plugs last Sunday, cleaned the MAF, the throttlle bodies, and it is still sputtering !

Previously I changed the O2 sensors.

Still no DTC !

Next level: 5w30 300V oil...
ok, feels good that we have pretty much nailed it down to oil . .and VCT of course

Im gonna try the redline 5w30 ester oil (i cant get Motul anywhere nearby) . . . although im pretty sure it will still sputter . . i wanna give it a shot . . do let us know what happens to your sputtering after Motul 300v
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
FastGreg

Don't forget to change your oil filter in the same time, as I understand the issue come form the viscosity of the oil at 80°C, which occur a wrong work of the solenoid (VTC) regarding the informations sent by the ECM, if not 5W30...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
srsairbags

k&n wrench-off oil filter from now on . . last time i use Mobil1 oil filter and while taking it off , part of my hands skin came off ( in the inside of the nylon glove) . . . ridiculous
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Z+Lotus+Vette

Default Just got this problem in my 2003 AT 70k miles

I can't believe this has not been settled in 31 pages and 4 years!

I plan to try the original suggestion of DryGas, since at my most recent fill-up the pump ran veerry slowly, indicative of the stations tank being very low. Probably got a bad tank of gas.

I had the bucking so bad that I could only creep around in "D"...any application of gas threatened stalling.

I did the "Microsoft", and shut off the car and turned back on. This allowed me to get out of the lot and start driving, but the problem recurred as a stutter at the first traffic light.

Additionally, it was cold and raining today, so I turned the key very quickly and immediately. After some questionable starts a month ago, I have been allowing the fuel pump to "prime/pressurize", by pausing in the "ON" position before going on to "START". This is the first time I have not followed this procedure since then.
(Lotus cars require such a pause, or they have a very rough and stumbly start.)

I almost drove it straight to Nissan, glad I checked here first.
"Can not duplicate" is the most common diagnosis I have ever gotten from mechanics. Diagnosis is a lost art.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
srsairbags

Originally Posted by Z+Lotus+Vette
I can't believe this has not been settled in 31 pages and 4 years!

I plan to try the original suggestion of DryGas, since at my most recent fill-up the pump ran veerry slowly, indicative of the stations tank being very low. Probably got a bad tank of gas.

I had the bucking so bad that I could only creep around in "D"...any application of gas threatened stalling.

I did the "Microsoft", and shut off the car and turned back on. This allowed me to get out of the lot and start driving, but the problem recurred as a stutter at the first traffic light.

Additionally, it was cold and raining today, so I turned the key very quickly and immediately. After some questionable starts a month ago, I have been allowing the fuel pump to "prime/pressurize", by pausing in the "ON" position before going on to "START". This is the first time I have not followed this procedure since then.
(Lotus cars require such a pause, or they have a very rough and stumbly start.)

I almost drove it straight to Nissan, glad I checked here first.
"Can not duplicate" is the most common diagnosis I have ever gotten from mechanics. Diagnosis is a lost art.
i am afraid you are having an unrelated issue with similar symptoms . . . this issue is specific to 07-08 350zs (HRs)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 AM
FastGreg

So, today I swapped my oil with 300V 5W30, and guess what... STILL SPUTTERING, but less I feel...

Previously I runned with 300V 5W40.

I will keep posted after few more start !

Last edited by FastGreg; 03-21-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
srsairbags

i think it will gradually stop doing it
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 AM
FastGreg

New cold start yesterday, no sputtering...

After several starts I will be able to provide you with a consistant feed-back.

I already order some Castrol Edge Sport 0W40 for a last oil trial !

But it seems that the issue really come from the motor oil...
Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not the oil guys.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM
FastGreg

What do you think about Midz ?

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up