Sputtering During Warm-up - Page 5 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM
  #81  
tourinz
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
tourinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mansmind
...I'm pretty sure if they hook in a logging computer (of some kind) that they're going to see SOMETHING going on during these times.
...
One of my customers (33k) started having this issue, but again not as noticeable... I personally printed 30 min worth of data and compared to specs, the only thing I saw was that at some points the A/F mixture passed 110% by 1 or 2 percent, but other than that it was fine...the HR reads diferent on B1 and B2 and the diference was a litle greater. When parts were tested independly, they checked ok, therefore there was nothing to replace... That's why I say, this is going be tough o crack, and It won't happen untill someone throws a CEL...
tourinz is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
  #82  
Riley07
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Riley07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mansmind
They did, they replaced everything. I would assume however (being that mine was one of the first to actually get "fixed" that the slave cylinder is the same one that came out of it originally. I doubt seriously that I got the updated one.


True, I may need to see about mine as well...I also have to take my car back up there for a clicking noise when starting from a dead stop..Almost sounds like a bad axle...I'm starting to wish I had kept my s2000
Riley07 is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
  #83  
Mansmind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tourinz
One of my customers (33k) started having this issue, but again not as noticeable... I personally printed 30 min worth of data and compared to specs, the only thing I saw was that at some points the A/F mixture passed 110% by 1 or 2 percent, but other than that it was fine...the HR reads diferent on B1 and B2 and the diference was a litle greater. When parts were tested independly, they checked ok, therefore there was nothing to replace... That's why I say, this is going be tough o crack, and It won't happen untill someone throws a CEL...
can you explain the "1 or 2 % more than 110%"? I'm used to seeing ratios, so I'm not sure what you said means.
Mansmind is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM
  #84  
tourinz
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
tourinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i'm sorrry I meant A/F Alpha
tourinz is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
  #85  
WashUJon
Registered User
 
WashUJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 25,745
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone check injectors? The old Z32s had injectors that would clog out of nowhere and produce the symptoms like you guys are mentioning; just like a fuel starved engine.
WashUJon is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
  #86  
Mansmind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WashUJon
Anyone check injectors? The old Z32s had injectors that would clog out of nowhere and produce the symptoms like you guys are mentioning; just like a fuel starved engine.
I haven't, but that's a good idea. That's exactly what it feels like. I'm just surprised that it seems to be ALL cylinders.
Mansmind is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 PM
  #87  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just to add to the observations i was playing around with my car today. The issue will only happen under load. When my car started to act up and i stopped immediately and started reving my motor. The motor revs just fine. Smoothe, no issues. Then when i put in gear and try to go forward, once again the car started to jerk and shake...*sigh*
stylett9 is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 03:45 AM
  #88  
tourinz
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
tourinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stylett9
just to add to the observations i was playing around with my car today. The issue will only happen under load. When my car started to act up and i stopped immediately and started reving my motor. The motor revs just fine. Smoothe, no issues. Then when i put in gear and try to go forward, once again the car started to jerk and shake...*sigh*
that's a good find..... the more info the beter to find the issue
tourinz is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM
  #89  
WashUJon
Registered User
 
WashUJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 25,745
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stylett9
just to add to the observations i was playing around with my car today. The issue will only happen under load. When my car started to act up and i stopped immediately and started reving my motor. The motor revs just fine. Smoothe, no issues. Then when i put in gear and try to go forward, once again the car started to jerk and shake...*sigh*
That sounds like the slave cylinder problem.
WashUJon is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
  #90  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WashUJon
That sounds like the slave cylinder problem.

i thought the slave cylinder problem had to deal with the clutch dropping to the floor?

i could be wrong, guess i'll go read that thread.

update, My car is going in for recall service on Monday, and a very reputible service writter otherwise known as [email protected] said that while my car is there, they are going to investigate this issue. I've already linked him to this thread so lets hope they come up with something!
stylett9 is offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 AM
  #91  
tourinz
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
tourinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Keep us updated.. I gave a crack at solving this w/o luck... we really have to pass the info on to get this solved...
tourinz is offline  
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
  #92  
BADASSTT
Registered User
 
BADASSTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Plantation, Fla.
Posts: 858
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tourinz
that's a good find..... the more info the beter to find the issue
I think that after market intakes might have somthing to do with it? I have the completly sealed stillen's and havent had any of these type of issues.
BADASSTT is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 AM
  #93  
tourinz
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
tourinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
I think that after market intakes might have somthing to do with it? I have the completly sealed stillen's and havent had any of these type of issues.
nuh... my cust had the stockies.... so I dunno, I have had a couple of cars, and then problem is, Nissan does not pay to try to find the problem, and it's tough to duplicate, b/c only happens during warm up, and the computer does not have parameters set for a cold start... all the parameters I have is for a fully warmed up (not just coolant, but oil as well) engine
tourinz is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 AM
  #94  
Mansmind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tourinz
nuh... my cust had the stockies.... so I dunno, I have had a couple of cars, and then problem is, Nissan does not pay to try to find the problem, and it's tough to duplicate, b/c only happens during warm up, and the computer does not have parameters set for a cold start... all the parameters I have is for a fully warmed up (not just coolant, but oil as well) engine
Yep, stock intakes here as well.
Mansmind is offline  
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 AM
  #95  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
I think that after market intakes might have somthing to do with it? I have the completly sealed stillen's and havent had any of these type of issues.

the problem with this i see is the problem would either be constant, or it would occur upon startup, and then go away as the ecu adjust fuel/air ratios etc etc.

The car drives perfectly fine for a few minutes, then the problem starts, then goes away.
stylett9 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 AM
  #96  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So Tim from Performance called me and he's been really great about trying to assist me. Unfortunately when him and the tech took out my car this morning they couldn't duplicate the problem. I was literally shocked because i've never had the problem NOT happen on a cold morning start. He said that they are having some kind of regional master tech stop by to give it a shot and if he cant duplicate it, I'm going to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning to see if i can duplicate it myself with the tech in the car. *sigh*
stylett9 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
  #97  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

update: teh master tech drove it and could not duplicate the problem either.. I wonder if this problem truely is associated with the clutch recall...(my clutch got serviced before they started testing for the sputtering)

guess we'll see when i go in tomorrow..
stylett9 is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 AM
  #98  
07JimmyZ
Registered User
iTrader: (18)
 
07JimmyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: boynton beach
Posts: 662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stylett9
update: teh master tech drove it and could not duplicate the problem either.. I wonder if this problem truely is associated with the clutch recall...(my clutch got serviced before they started testing for the sputtering)

guess we'll see when i go in tomorrow..
Mine used to act up every time that my car sat for a while. I just got my recall done 2 days ago.........haven't noticed it since....I'll try today at lunch to see if i can duplicate it, but the recall might have fixed it.
07JimmyZ is offline  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
  #99  
07JimmyZ
Registered User
iTrader: (18)
 
07JimmyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: boynton beach
Posts: 662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Alright, I tested it at lunch and It's definately gone, I couldn't get it to act up at all. Since mine was pretty religous about doing every time the car sat for alittle while, I'd have to say the recall fixed it. Atleast in my case, goodluck to every one else having this problem and get your recall done ASAP!...feels so much better overall.
07JimmyZ is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
  #100  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

guess i have bad luck. I went to the dealer to try to duplicate and it didnt happen. So i thought everything was great since their techs couldn't duplicate either. To my look, once i get home and go out again, the problem came right bcak. :-(

sigh..
stylett9 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: