Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM
tourinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mansmind
...I'm pretty sure if they hook in a logging computer (of some kind) that they're going to see SOMETHING going on during these times.
One of my customers (33k) started having this issue, but again not as noticeable... I personally printed 30 min worth of data and compared to specs, the only thing I saw was that at some points the A/F mixture passed 110% by 1 or 2 percent, but other than that it was fine...the HR reads diferent on B1 and B2 and the diference was a litle greater. When parts were tested independly, they checked ok, therefore there was nothing to replace... That's why I say, this is going be tough o crack, and It won't happen untill someone throws a CEL...
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Riley07

Originally Posted by Mansmind
They did, they replaced everything. I would assume however (being that mine was one of the first to actually get "fixed" that the slave cylinder is the same one that came out of it originally. I doubt seriously that I got the updated one.

True, I may need to see about mine as well...I also have to take my car back up there for a clicking noise when starting from a dead stop..Almost sounds like a bad axle...I'm starting to wish I had kept my s2000
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by tourinz
One of my customers (33k) started having this issue, but again not as noticeable... I personally printed 30 min worth of data and compared to specs, the only thing I saw was that at some points the A/F mixture passed 110% by 1 or 2 percent, but other than that it was fine...the HR reads diferent on B1 and B2 and the diference was a litle greater. When parts were tested independly, they checked ok, therefore there was nothing to replace... That's why I say, this is going be tough o crack, and It won't happen untill someone throws a CEL...
can you explain the "1 or 2 % more than 110%"? I'm used to seeing ratios, so I'm not sure what you said means.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM
tourinz

i'm sorrry I meant A/F Alpha
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
WashUJon

Anyone check injectors? The old Z32s had injectors that would clog out of nowhere and produce the symptoms like you guys are mentioning; just like a fuel starved engine.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by WashUJon
Anyone check injectors? The old Z32s had injectors that would clog out of nowhere and produce the symptoms like you guys are mentioning; just like a fuel starved engine.
I haven't, but that's a good idea. That's exactly what it feels like. I'm just surprised that it seems to be ALL cylinders.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to add to the observations i was playing around with my car today. The issue will only happen under load. When my car started to act up and i stopped immediately and started reving my motor. The motor revs just fine. Smoothe, no issues. Then when i put in gear and try to go forward, once again the car started to jerk and shake...*sigh*
Old 01-23-2008, 03:45 AM
tourinz

Originally Posted by stylett9
just to add to the observations i was playing around with my car today. The issue will only happen under load. When my car started to act up and i stopped immediately and started reving my motor. The motor revs just fine. Smoothe, no issues. Then when i put in gear and try to go forward, once again the car started to jerk and shake...*sigh*
that's a good find..... the more info the beter to find the issue
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM
WashUJon

That sounds like the slave cylinder problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by WashUJon
That sounds like the slave cylinder problem.

i thought the slave cylinder problem had to deal with the clutch dropping to the floor?

i could be wrong, guess i'll go read that thread.

update, My car is going in for recall service on Monday, and a very reputible service writter otherwise known as Tim@performance said that while my car is there, they are going to investigate this issue. I've already linked him to this thread so lets hope they come up with something!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 AM
tourinz

Keep us updated.. I gave a crack at solving this w/o luck... we really have to pass the info on to get this solved...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
BADASSTT

that's a good find..... the more info the beter to find the issue
I think that after market intakes might have somthing to do with it? I have the completly sealed stillen's and havent had any of these type of issues.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 AM
tourinz

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
I think that after market intakes might have somthing to do with it? I have the completly sealed stillen's and havent had any of these type of issues.
nuh... my cust had the stockies.... so I dunno, I have had a couple of cars, and then problem is, Nissan does not pay to try to find the problem, and it's tough to duplicate, b/c only happens during warm up, and the computer does not have parameters set for a cold start... all the parameters I have is for a fully warmed up (not just coolant, but oil as well) engine
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Mansmind

nuh... my cust had the stockies.... so I dunno, I have had a couple of cars, and then problem is, Nissan does not pay to try to find the problem, and it's tough to duplicate, b/c only happens during warm up, and the computer does not have parameters set for a cold start... all the parameters I have is for a fully warmed up (not just coolant, but oil as well) engine
Yep, stock intakes here as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 AM
stylett9

Originally Posted by BADASSTT

the problem with this i see is the problem would either be constant, or it would occur upon startup, and then go away as the ecu adjust fuel/air ratios etc etc.

The car drives perfectly fine for a few minutes, then the problem starts, then goes away.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 AM
stylett9

So Tim from Performance called me and he's been really great about trying to assist me. Unfortunately when him and the tech took out my car this morning they couldn't duplicate the problem. I was literally shocked because i've never had the problem NOT happen on a cold morning start. He said that they are having some kind of regional master tech stop by to give it a shot and if he cant duplicate it, I'm going to the dealership first thing tomorrow morning to see if i can duplicate it myself with the tech in the car. *sigh*
Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
stylett9

update: teh master tech drove it and could not duplicate the problem either.. I wonder if this problem truely is associated with the clutch recall...(my clutch got serviced before they started testing for the sputtering)

guess we'll see when i go in tomorrow..
Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 AM
07JimmyZ

update: teh master tech drove it and could not duplicate the problem either.. I wonder if this problem truely is associated with the clutch recall...(my clutch got serviced before they started testing for the sputtering)

guess we'll see when i go in tomorrow..
Mine used to act up every time that my car sat for a while. I just got my recall done 2 days ago.........haven't noticed it since....I'll try today at lunch to see if i can duplicate it, but the recall might have fixed it.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 PM
07JimmyZ

Alright, I tested it at lunch and It's definately gone, I couldn't get it to act up at all. Since mine was pretty religous about doing every time the car sat for alittle while, I'd have to say the recall fixed it. Atleast in my case, goodluck to every one else having this problem and get your recall done ASAP!...feels so much better overall.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
stylett9

guess i have bad luck. I went to the dealer to try to duplicate and it didnt happen. So i thought everything was great since their techs couldn't duplicate either. To my look, once i get home and go out again, the problem came right bcak. :-(

sigh..

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up