Sputtering During Warm-up - Page 6 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
  #101  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

guess i have bad luck. I went to the dealer to try to duplicate and it didnt happen. So i thought everything was great since their techs couldn't duplicate either. To my look, once i get home and go out again, the problem came right bcak. :-(

sigh..
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 PM
  #102  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

just the typical light white smoke from the car warming up when its cold outside, but nothing unusual or unusual smells.

i'm going to try and reinstall my intakes this weekend see if that has anything to do with it. I'm so desperate to try anything because this is truely growing tiresome. If i can't get this resolved before my warrenty is up i think i'm just ganna trade my car for something else.(not hating Z's in general, just the one i have for being stupid)
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
  #103  
07JimmyZ
Registered User
iTrader: (18)
 
07JimmyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: boynton beach
Posts: 662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

that really sucks man........the one thing I don't have is intakes....but I don't think that should make a difference. I did still notice it once yesterday, so I'm truly not free from the problem. It just doesn't happen all the time, like it did before.
07JimmyZ is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
  #104  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tourinz
One of my customers (33k) started having this issue, but again not as noticeable... I personally printed 30 min worth of data and compared to specs, the only thing I saw was that at some points the A/F mixture passed 110% by 1 or 2 percent, but other than that it was fine...the HR reads diferent on B1 and B2 and the diference was a litle greater. When parts were tested independly, they checked ok, therefore there was nothing to replace... That's why I say, this is going be tough o crack, and It won't happen untill someone throws a CEL...
^^ I believe this is the problem guys.

I took my car to the dealer this morning because my car FINALLY threw a CEL. They have been working with me on this problem and have been skeptical until now. They are almost positive this is the problem. Basically what they were telling is that the car is SUPPOSE to run between 90-110% MAX A/F ratio. outside of this area the ECU will try to readjust but can only do so much. My personal car has been having this "sputtering" issue for quite some time and it's grone very irritating because of how violent the car can jerk sometimes. When they pulled my log, my car was spiking between 120-135% At this range, the ECU can no longer make adjustments to compensate. The reason why this issue happens consistantly at around the 5-7 minute driving mark, is because from what the dealer was explaining to me is that durring the warm up period, the A/F sensor basically stays off until the car is at normal/ideal operating temperature. Not necessarily when your temp gauge reads halfway between hot and cold. Once the car reads at the right temperature, the sensor activates and then starts to play around with the A/F ratio to make for the best driving conditions. Because when it activates and the car is running so lean(past the 110% A/F) the car basically goes into freak out mode and try's to correct the ratio which is why the car starts to act spiratic for only a few seconds. Once the ECU realizes it can no longer compensate i guess it basically just gives up and lets the car run lean. All this was explained to me by Performance Nissan which is a pretty reputable dealership in my area and on this forum so i think this is some solid information to go by.

Now the cause of why MY car is running lean, they are guessing that my fujita intakes are actually sucking in TOO MUCH air. Too me, i dont think they are BS'ing me trying to blame it on a mod, because when looking at the overall picture it actually makes some sense.

the only thing that stumps me is that noone else with fujita intakes is having this problem? So i'm going back to stock next week and i'm crossing my fingers this problem is done with.
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM
  #105  
Mansmind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stylett9
^^ I believe this is the problem guys.

I took my car to the dealer this morning because my car FINALLY threw a CEL. They have been working with me on this problem and have been skeptical until now. They are almost positive this is the problem. Basically what they were telling is that the car is SUPPOSE to run between 90-110% MAX A/F ratio. outside of this area the ECU will try to readjust but can only do so much. My personal car has been having this "sputtering" issue for quite some time and it's grone very irritating because of how violent the car can jerk sometimes. When they pulled my log, my car was spiking between 120-135% At this range, the ECU can no longer make adjustments to compensate. The reason why this issue happens consistantly at around the 5-7 minute driving mark, is because from what the dealer was explaining to me is that durring the warm up period, the A/F sensor basically stays off until the car is at normal/ideal operating temperature. Not necessarily when your temp gauge reads halfway between hot and cold. Once the car reads at the right temperature, the sensor activates and then starts to play around with the A/F ratio to make for the best driving conditions. Because when it activates and the car is running so lean(past the 110% A/F) the car basically goes into freak out mode and try's to correct the ratio which is why the car starts to act spiratic for only a few seconds. Once the ECU realizes it can no longer compensate i guess it basically just gives up and lets the car run lean. All this was explained to me by Performance Nissan which is a pretty reputable dealership in my area and on this forum so i think this is some solid information to go by.

Now the cause of why MY car is running lean, they are guessing that my fujita intakes are actually sucking in TOO MUCH air. Too me, i dont think they are BS'ing me trying to blame it on a mod, because when looking at the overall picture it actually makes some sense.

the only thing that stumps me is that noone else with fujita intakes is having this problem? So i'm going back to stock next week and i'm crossing my fingers this problem is done with.
Finally some good information. As far as the intakes... I'm stock intakes so that isn't the only issue. I AM running HKS dual exhaust, but if that was the issue I would think it would have happened from when I first installed it (5500 miles) as opposed to waiting till the 12500 mile mark.

The explanation makes sense however, perhaps it's the A/F sensor that's giving some bogus readings?
Mansmind is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM
  #106  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mansmind
Finally some good information. As far as the intakes... I'm stock intakes so that isn't the only issue. I AM running HKS dual exhaust, but if that was the issue I would think it would have happened from when I first installed it (5500 miles) as opposed to waiting till the 12500 mile mark.

The explanation makes sense however, perhaps it's the A/F sensor that's giving some bogus readings?

that could be a good posibility as well since noone else with my intakes is having this problem ? :-(
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
  #107  
Riley07
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Riley07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have intakes and exhaust and never had the problem...I noticed on another forum that a guy put one of his MAF sensors in backwards when installing his intakes and he was having issues with CEL and rough idle, but I don't know if that could be the problem...
Riley07 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
  #108  
Riley07
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Riley07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I wonder exactly how many people are having this problem

Last edited by Riley07; 02-06-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Riley07 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
  #109  
Mansmind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

^^^ there have been several threads relating to a at least "similar" issue. Some of these involve years earlier than '07 models.
Mansmind is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
  #110  
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD
iTrader: (26)
 
SOLO-350Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alamo
Posts: 6,367
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Still no issues since I have been using Shell gas from Chevron. Amazing.
SOLO-350Z is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM
  #111  
Riley07
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Riley07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 340
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Chevron is the only gas I run with no problems as well....Strange!
Riley07 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
  #112  
Mansmind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I might very well buy into the gas thing, except that I also run Chevron, and have the issue.
Mansmind is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
  #113  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Still no issues since I have been using Shell gas from Chevron. Amazing.

i tried switching over to shell since you posted that. I've ran about 5 tanks through it with no change.
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
  #114  
diablo25mn
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 132
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stylett9
i tried switching over to shell since you posted that. I've ran about 5 tanks through it with no change.
I'm the OP here, and been having the same trouble for months now. I've figured out how to avoid it happening to me which involves sitting in my driveway every morning for 10 minutes.

In addition to that I've had an exhaust since day one, my car was never stock new. I had intakes for a bit which caused me some issues and removed them in less than a week.

So to recap I use only Shell or Chevron, I have stock intakes, a custom dual exhaust with x-pipe, and a couple months back I got FI HFC (Metal).

I will attest I do have an exhaust leak, which I'm hoping to get fixed on Friday.

Apparently no one has really pin anything down as the cause. Finally my Vin # starts with 1BZ which excludes me from the recall for the slave cylinder which has never given me problems.
diablo25mn is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 04:13 PM
  #115  
rkemp1
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
rkemp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rockville
Posts: 1,634
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Im not sure who originally proposed that it could be due to the slave cylinder but this sounds completely unrelated. I have had the slave issue and I never experienced any of those symptoms related to the sputtering.
rkemp1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 08:57 AM
  #116  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So, this wednesday i'm going into the dealer to have my intakes anda exhaust put back to stock. This means my car will be entirely stock except for nismo short shifter.

If the problem doesn't go away, i'm seriously considering a lemon law attorny. What do you guys feel the chances of this will be? I seriously don't have the kind of mentality to just go out and try to sue people for money as i feel very passionately against people that are like that here in Orange County Ca, but i feel this is could be a legitimate case. input please. Or recomendations.
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 PM
  #117  
itsjiggajames
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
itsjiggajames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: IE - LA- Cali
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When you say sputtering does it do it when you get on the gas kind of hard at low rpms? Mine started doing that after I installed HFCs.. but if i drive normally i don't feel it. Only when I get on it at low rpms.. kinda sputters, then gets going.
itsjiggajames is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 PM
  #118  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
When you say sputtering does it do it when you get on the gas kind of hard at low rpms? Mine started doing that after I installed HFCs.. but if i drive normally i don't feel it. Only when I get on it at low rpms.. kinda sputters, then gets going.

no it's not that one. When i had HFC's i know exactly what your talking about and this is different.

This occurs only after cold starts at a very predictable 5-7 minutes of driving between the 1500-2300RPM range and will only last for a few seconds. Occurs regardless of how hard you press the gas.
stylett9 is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 PM
  #119  
itsjiggajames
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
itsjiggajames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: IE - LA- Cali
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stylett9
no it's not that one. When i had HFC's i know exactly what your talking about and this is different.

This occurs only after cold starts at a very predictable 5-7 minutes of driving between the 1500-2300RPM range and will only last for a few seconds. Occurs regardless of how hard you press the gas.
That sucks. Hope you get it resolved. But do you know the cause of why after installing HFCs I get that too? A/f sensor going crazy?
itsjiggajames is offline  
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
  #120  
stylett9
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
stylett9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anaheim Ca
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
That sucks. Hope you get it resolved. But do you know the cause of why after installing HFCs I get that too? A/f sensor going crazy?

it depends. Do you have a check engine light? If you are experiancing the one that i had which happened between 2500-2800 RPM's, the engine would basically bog and choke, and you had to accelerate slowly to get out of that range. I fixed this by replacing my 02 sensor on the headers. But i had a CEL which i knew meant my 02 was bad and causing the problem.

But if you are referring to where right when you step on it, the car stutters for a SPLIT second, i dont think there is a fix for that. That's just normal and i'm not sure of the cause of that.
stylett9 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: