Sputtering During Warm-up - Page 39 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Emski

I am using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and the problem went away. I used Mobil 1 0W40 before which has higher density at 15.6C.
It was suggested that lower density helps.
PP 5W30 has 0.84 vs Mobil 1 0W40 with 0.85.

http://translate.google.lu/translate..._20070408.html
Old 11-04-2014, 09:17 PM
nizmo_0385

My 07 nismo does this after cold start. 35k on the clock. Slight sputter exhaust note sounds different. No codes. Fresh oil chevron gas not sure what gives. Runs perfect strong and smooth after 4 or 5 mind of driving.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Euro_Z33

Have made the second oil change with Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 so far. Car runs absolutley fine, even on race track! I think that the VTC System on the VQ35 HR is very sensitive on the oil viscosity. Hope that helps guys.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:47 PM
colin.ssc

Hi guys, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just wondering how you guys are going with your HR and the cold start driving sputtering issue?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 PM
jonowijono

Hi , got a similar issue with my 08 HR Auto. Previously had P0014 and P0024. Car would jerk at low rpm once the car is at peak temperature. (jerking only on soft acceleration/gas)

Replaced both the valve timing covers (not cheap ) and the codes disappeared. However now the car jerks more frequently. It would start jerking just after cold starts constantly at low rpm, or from a stop/start.

Driven the car for about 2500km/1 month now and the jerking has been constant. I did notice that when the valve timing covers we installed, they didn't do a valve timing re-learn. Could that be the issue?

Thankssss
Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

What is a "valve timing cover" ?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 PM
jonowijono

Old 05-15-2017, 06:42 AM
lifekenophobic

Thumbs up Fixed!

First off, a BIG thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread so far! I would have been totally lost on this issue without the information I read through in the previous 39 pages.

I'm happy to confirm 100% that changing the VTC covers has completely resolved this issue for me. Just to be clear, the issue is this:

-Cold start car.
-(I usually let my car warm up for 30 seconds - 2 minutes, depending on weather).
-Begin driving normally, light acceleration.
-Between the RPM range of about 1,700 - 2,200, very noticeable hesitation/stuttering/shudder. Issue not present when you accelerate harder. (I could usually stop the bucking by hammering the gas.)
-After about 5 minutes (or usually 2 stoplights in my case), issue is no longer present. *This part is important, because if the stutter/hesitation does not go away, you have a different issue. Most likely a vacuum leak or other fuel/air related problem.

If you have this issue, you'll know it to be very predictable. It will pretty much start and stop bucking in the same place every day, and it will drive you nuts. Once the car is fully warmed up (closed loop), the issue should no longer be present. This also only seems to be a VQ35HR issue, so you DE guys are most likely not affected (at least from what I've seen so far).

If this accurately describes your issue, congratulations! You're going to be spending $1,000 for new VTC covers. Below are some pictures and additional information on my experience:

First, this little bolt is going to make things more difficult for you. It is the #8 bolt on the passenger side VTC cover diagram in the FSM, and it is hidden behind the bracket that holds your auto-tensioner and idler pulley.

This is obviously after you remove your serpentine belt, auto-tensioner, and idler pulley. In order to remove that little bracket, you're going to have to loosen ANOTHER bracket that holds that in place. You can see how it is bolted to the back of this other bracket here:

Although not completely necessary, I would recommend removing the following items to make this job easier: upper radiator hose, radiator fans, and alternator.

Covers removed!

Old vs. new. Don't forget those gaskets! Oh, and the passenger side cover should have a revised version. Make sure you specify when ordering that you are getting the revised version which has a larger oil gallery.

Enjoy your shiny new VTC covers, and best of all no more hesitation! I waited about a week before making this post, just to make sure it wasn't a temporary thing. I'm happy to report that my car is now stutter free, and seems to run a lot more smoothly while in open loop (warming up). Hoping this helps anyone who may struggle with the same issue. Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lifekenophobic For This Useful Post:
@vq.bryce (08-08-2018), Euro_Z33 (08-28-2017), F2CMaDMaXX (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM
zakmartin
orange moodring

I'm betting it's the same issue with the retarder that the Maxima has. I'd have gone with the new VTC covers as well. Playing around with paper shims and all the garbage that goes along with repairing the part seems to be a bit of a hassle.

Link to TSB: https://www.autocodes.com/uploads/nissan/NTB12-116.pdf
Old 05-16-2017, 08:21 PM
jonowijono

Default still stuttering :(

nice write up @lifekenophobic.

Funnily enough my stuttering/buckling issue started AFTER i replaced BOTH my VTC covers :L.

Replaced the VTC covers due to P0014 and P0024 codes appearing, which has not came back (about 10,000km ago). Thank god haha

Similar to lifekenophobic, it would buckle at low rpm between 1500-2000 on soft acceleration, but can stop it by aggressively pressing on the gas. BUT this will occur after the engine is completely warmed up. At cold start the car will run perfectly for the first 2-5 minutes, then the buckling starts...

Also during the 'buckling' phase the engine will make a sort of metallic-ish sound, sounding like a diesel engine for that split second?

Even on neutral when u rev the engine, it would buckle/resist between 1500-2000RPM and make that funny 'sound'. Had my dad try to locate where the sound is coming from and is sound like it coming from the VTCs themselves...

BTW they are genuine nissan VTC covers.. Not sure where to go from here..

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-30-2017, 03:10 PM
John_B

Try replacing the EVAP purge solenoid. It is located behind the intake manifold. Someone on Facebook HR/VHR group found out the fix to the problem:

"Car sound louder? Doesn't feel like it pulls? Shift points and clutch engagement between shifts odd? Bad gas mileage? Car hesitation or stall at low RPMS? Can't get gas at times(gas nozzle clicks like tank is full even though it isn't) Controlled vacuum leak? Slight faint smell of gas fumes in car intermittently? Hear a clicking noise in engine bay that gets faster as you accelerate?"..

Last edited by John_B; 07-30-2017 at 03:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_B For This Useful Post:
@vq.bryce (08-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2017, 10:27 AM
franknstn

Oh I never saw this thread before.. Ive been tackling this since I got my Z in 2015. lol. I thought it was vacuum leak..nope, then did throttlebody clean.. nope, different oils..nope, thought it was my ac compressor.. nope.

My only workaround now is I give it a couple hundred rpm's before I actual get the car moving, idle is 800-1000..so rev to around 1300-1400 before I clutch in and put it in gear and seems to not sputter but it does still happen every now and then so I'm not sure if its actually doing anything. But it was very rare in the summer since we had close to 80degrees by the time I had to drive to work.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 PM
datboiiJV

Default Any other solutions?

Been dealing with this since for a while now. New spark plugs, replaced throttled bodies, clean MAF, checked coil packs. No codes found. Tried new EVAP solenoid as mentioned above, but not the new valve covers. Any other solutions besides the ones posted? Trying to see the deal before I jump into the VTC. This started happening to me growing little by little ever since I replaced my spark plugs and cleaned my original Throttle Bodies(now are replaced with different ones) back in December 2017. Also an acquaintance sprayed brake cleaner over the top of the whole motor to clean it, he said. I was not present for that..
happend before my retune

2008 350z
engine mods- Stillen Gen 3 Intakes, Tomei (test pipes,Ypipe, muffler)
Tuned
Old 10-02-2018, 09:49 AM
datboiiJV

Originally Posted by datboiiJV View Post
Been dealing with this since for a while now. New spark plugs, replaced throttled bodies, clean MAF, checked coil packs. No codes found. Tried new EVAP solenoid as mentioned above, but not the new valve covers. Any other solutions besides the ones posted? Trying to see the deal before I jump into the VTC. This started happening to me growing little by little ever since I replaced my spark plugs and cleaned my original Throttle Bodies(now are replaced with different ones) back in December 2017. Also an acquaintance sprayed brake cleaner over the top of the whole motor to clean it, he said. I was not present for that..
happend before my retune

2008 350z
engine mods- Stillen Gen 3 Intakes, Tomei (test pipes,Ypipe, muffler)
Tuned
Tried VTC as mentioned above, $1,300 issue still there.

Replaced the gallery gaskets now the problem is finally gone!! VQ35HR. I used EPS Tuningís gallery gasket kit great price.