Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clunking Noise--Related to Endlinks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Fleet Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, Hotchkis should advise users of this issue. It could cause a potential serious handling and stability issue, if the endlinks bind under severe compression of the suspension. Most of the people on this forum are kids that are do-it-yourselfers, not professional mechanics. (I'm an old-schooler that has worked on custom and race cars most of my adult life. I was an ASE certified master mechanic before I decided to get a college degree.)

I'm amazed that after going through all the complaints in this forum of popping and clunking after these bars are installed that nobody before me brought up this issue. I guess if it's in writing, everyone takes it as the "gospel" truth. Been around engineering all my life and I guess I know better.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 04.5 stock bars made the same clunk in the rear after 15k miles before I made any suspension changes. Only changing the end links to the newer version made it go away.

Chris
Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

well after breaking-in my hotchkis set, i have clunk and its an 07, so the endlinks on these suck as well
Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My clunking sound has disappeared. Apparently, the reason mine made the clunking sound was because the nut on the endlink became loose after a while, probably due to me not wiping down all of the PB Blaster off of it when tightening it.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Marino Z
Know it all

does everyone have this clunking noise issue with hotchkis?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Marino Z
does everyone have this clunking noise issue with hotchkis?
ohh yeah from the front and its bad...i had on 3rd notch and moved to 2nd and still makes the dam noise. My mechanic narrowed it down to the bushings on the front. I guess the kit doesnt come with aftermarket like the rears and the stock suck, so it makes like a clunk/grind during body flex.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Marino Z
Know it all

will noise keep comes back? because noise is gone after tighten everything down.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
live2themaxuk

Keep this thread going, Im having cluncking with my hot chikis on front right when i turn left at low speed goin up inclines. Loud pop/Knock feel ti throught the whole car. Investigating it this weekend

Jamie
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

I had cluncking noise when I go slow on even little bumpy road.

If I hear this **** one more time I might take out hotchkis because seems like people still experience the problem even with aftermarket end-links.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
BhashaZ

Thumbs up New Update!

I should provide an update. I originally had the problem start after I installed the Hotchkis sways. I think many people will also experience the same, especially if they set the bar to stiff. I believe this is REGARDLESS of whether it's the Hotchkis or Stillen, or other adjustable anti-sway bar. I think the problem starts occurring because the stock endlinks are not adjustable and cannot compensate for the new angles caused by the stiffer setting on adjustable anti-sway bars.

The solution is getting PowerGrid's endlinks. Now, as I initially stated, getting the PowerGrids ended up solving my problem. No more clunking. However, if you look up a few posts to post #57, you will see that the problem came back, and this was after about 700 miles. I believe the reason it came back was because if an improper install. I went to a reputable shop here on this forum, and the shop installed my endlinks. However, after my problem return, I had my neighbor take a look at my car, and he said it was because the endlinks were loose. Long story short, in order to tighten the endlinks, you MUST use an allen wrench. Apparently, you can still do it without using an allen wrench, but you just won't tighten the links properly--my neighbor thinks this is what the shop unintentionally did.

So, to those buying/installing the PowerGrids, make sure you tighten it up using an allen wrench! I will report back if I find any other issues! It's been 2.5 weeks and over 1,100 miles this time, and they're still good *knock on wood*. Order your endlinks from Adam here:

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/316885-the-be-all-end-all-endlink-for-your-z-and-g.html
Old 03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
I should provide an update. I originally had the problem start after I installed the Hotchkis sways. I think many people will also experience the same, especially if they set the bar to stiff. I believe this is REGARDLESS of whether it's the Hotchkis or Stillen, or other adjustable anti-sway bar. I think the problem starts occurring because the stock endlinks are not adjustable and cannot compensate for the new angles caused by the stiffer setting on adjustable anti-sway bars.

The solution is getting PowerGrid's endlinks. Now, as I initially stated, getting the PowerGrids ended up solving my problem. No more clunking. However, if you look up a few posts to post #57, you will see that the problem came back, and this was after about 700 miles. I believe the reason it came back was because if an improper install. I went to a reputable shop here on this forum, and the shop installed my endlinks. However, after my problem return, I had my neighbor take a look at my car, and he said it was because the endlinks were loose. Long story short, in order to tighten the endlinks, you MUST use an allen wrench. Apparently, you can still do it without using an allen wrench, but you just won't tighten the links properly--my neighbor thinks this is what the shop unintentionally did.

So, to those buying/installing the PowerGrids, make sure you tighten it up using an allen wrench! I will report back if I find any other issues! It's been 2.5 weeks and over 1,100 miles this time, and they're still good *knock on wood*. Order your endlinks from Adam here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316885
The jury is out on this one from me until I hear another Update from you. Please report back after a little longer. Thanx!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
BhashaZ

Will do. Just make sure you bump this thread, and I'll respond. Otherwise, no news is good news!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

Thanks for the update!

I will def. buy one if my stock end links start to making noise again.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:07 PM
JDMHolic

did you get a set? or rear endlinks?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by live2themaxuk
Keep this thread going, Im having cluncking with my hot chikis on front right when i turn left at low speed goin up inclines. Loud pop/Knock feel ti throught the whole car. Investigating it this weekend

Jamie
I have this same problem and it is driving me crazy!!! It sounds horrible! It is as if the car is going to fall apart.

Anyone else still have this problem after replacing the front endlinks? I replaced my endlinks today and I still do. While my car was on a lift it sounded like it was coming from the power steering rack on the drivers side and another spot on the passenger side.

Any ideas guys? Bushings?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by JDMHolic
did you get a set? or rear endlinks?
Sorry I should have specified--rear only. My front's are fine *knock on wood*
Old 03-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Fletch69z

Any updates on these yet?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM
SlideWays314

yeah, I have this same problem and I don't have any type of aftermarket swaybars. might have to look into these endlinks.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
live2themaxuk

OK well Update on my issue

>>Hotchkis TVS Kit Sways and springs (4 hole version) , Front- 2nd from stiffest, Rear-Medium<<<

I HAVE FOUND WHAT IS MAKING MY NOISE but i dont have a solution just yet

Basically i jacked the car up today, put it on axle stands and removed the wheels. With weight off the susupension, i used my jack to compress the suspension on the right side (as though u are in driver seat lookign forward). Then, i let that go, and moved the jack to the left side and compressed that suspension, to simulate a left turn up a drive, when only one wheel touches the slope first and is higher than the right side (wheni got the clunck) and i watched the anti-roll bar, as i compressed move and move, move up as it should, but then suddenly reach a point and then the WHOLE bar shifted about 1 inch within its bushes towards the opposite side of the car and i got the CLUCNK when it came to the stop.

I let the jack of,f, and i found, even by just grabbing hold of the bar with both hands and giving it a pull/push, i can move it about an inch side toside (as in, its tight in its bushes but slides within them left right) and on the 'Push' of it towards the right hand side of the car , it makes a CLUNK when it comes to the end of the amount i can move it

its weird, it should only be moving rotationally within the bushes, not sliding side to side no?

Jamie

Last edited by live2themaxuk; 03-17-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ You must have the older design without the collars. They do make aftermarket collars that are designed to prevent horizontal deflection but the newer bars have welded in stops.

Fwiw, I have the newer bars with the welded in stops and still get clunk front and rear. Hope to get under there this weekend to check it out.

Quick Reply: Clunking Noise--Related to Endlinks?