Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeaky Clutch on pedal depress - sounds from under the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM
tquill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Volcom45
Did you jack the car up and take off the front drivers side tire to get to this? Is that where you went in? Looking down on top the hood is extremely cramped for space! Can hardly see a thing down there. I still need to order the same grease you mentioned.
Sorry... I wasn't clear. Yes, I jacked up the front of the car but that picture is a view from under the car. You don't have to take anything off to see the views I've shown in the pictures. It's not in the engine compartment at all... but rather further towards the center of the car.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Volcom45

Originally Posted by tquill
Sorry... I wasn't clear. Yes, I jacked up the front of the car but that picture is a view from under the car. You don't have to take anything off to see the views I've shown in the pictures. It's not in the engine compartment at all... but rather further towards the center of the car.
Awesome, thanks so much! Going to order the stuff and get on with this!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:30 PM
tquill

To update, the clutch is still squeak free.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 AM
htle83

Originally Posted by tquill
To update, the clutch is still squeak free.
thanks for giving us all an update.

Just to confirm, you didn't have to remove the slave cylinder did you?

I want to do this, but really prefer not to removed the slave cylinder. Was there a sufficient amount of space to apply the grease the pivot with the slave cylinder on?

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by htle83
thanks for giving us all an update.

Just to confirm, you didn't have to remove the slave cylinder did you?
Nope, I just pulled back the rubber boot just as I did in the picture. You actually don't even have to pull it back any more than I did in the pic.

Was there a sufficient amount of space to apply the grease the pivot with the slave cylinder on?
It's a pretty tight squeeze as you can see, but there is enough room. Just angle the straw of the spray can accordingly and you can get the job done in a few minutes.

Thanks again!
Not a problem!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
htle83

tquill, you're the man. Pics really helped. I wanted to get down there in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was possible without taking off the slave cylinder. I'm going to try to find time tomorrow to do this. I am going to try to use Valvoline lithium grease that's molyfortified. I know the manual states you should use a lithium grease with molybdenum disulfide, so I'm going to try that first. Hopefully it won't be too hard since that doesn't come as a spray.

On another note, I think this DIY not only will solve the squeaky sound, but will prolong the life of the pivot ball and prevent it from breaking. Something you definitely better hope doesn't happen.

Last edited by htle83; 10-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM
tquill

Originally Posted by htle83
tquill, you're the man. Pics really helped. I wanted to get down there in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was possible without taking off the slave cylinder. I'm going to try to find time tomorrow to do this. I am going to try to use Valvoline lithium grease that's molyfortified. I know the manual states you should use a lithium grease with molybdenum disulfide, so I'm going to try that first. Hopefully it won't be too hard since that doesn't come as a spray.[

On another note, I think this DIY not only will solve the squeaky sound, but will prolong the life of the pivot ball and prevent it from breaking. Something you definitely better hope doesn't happen.
Don't thank me, Jamie (live2themaxuk) is the one who deserves all the credit.

Anyway, I think it will be extremely hard to apply the lithium grease without using a spray can. Not only that, a straw on the spray can is necessary too in my opinion... otherwise you won't be able to focus it where you need it.

I should also point out that Jamie initially tried lithium grease and he claimed the squeak came back after about a week. It doesn't seem like it could last in the temperature.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Volcom45

I just received my spray (same set as you from amazon 3rd party) in the mail finally today! I am anxious to do this hopefully after work today. You say it is about 1/4 back the car, so it should be just in front of the clutch pedal itself essentially? That general area? and nothing has to be removed to see it other than part of the actual rubber boot itself? I can't wait to get this done! Mine has gotten so bad. Not sure if this is from the same issue or not but the last couple months I've actually developed a squeak from somewhere down there while driving slowly in 1st or 2nd gear. I thought it was my brakes but had them redone and its definitely not so I'm assuming clutch. If that goes away with all the knocks and croaks of the clutch itself, I'll be one happy camper!

Update: Well, I found it finally.. but it was very hard to get to with the small jacks that I had my car up on. I wish I had a friend with an auto shop and could just raise the whole thing up to walk under. I was able to pull the boot back but by no means able to get my head up in there enough to look inside for the the 4-5" back joint. I held the boot back and put the spray tube all the way in there and sprayed a couple times, but not sure if I was even spraying the right thing. Didn't do it too many times as you mentioned not to spray everything in there like crazy. I pumped it several times, then tried a few more sprays. It still squeeks when I push it in, but I haven't tried driving it yet. I guess I'll drive around and give it a few hours and see if I notice any difference like the time it took on yours. Thanks again for the pics!

Update 2: Well, I apparently didn't spray the right spot. Have driven it around plenty since yesterday evening and nothing seems any different. I'm going to have to find a way to get my car up higher to get a better angle at this. Sucks that my car is lowered so even harder to get under. I get so nervous about crawling under my car and a jack breaking and crushing me, but because of how low it is, I can't even drive it up onto normal sized ramps

Last edited by Volcom45; 10-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 AM
tquill

Volcom, sorry you're having difficulties.

I'm not certain if you're having the same problem or not. My squeak was more from releasing the clutch rather than pressing it. It very well could be the same joint though.

As for getting the lube in the right spot... no doubt that it's a hard task. I had to position the straw at weird angle to hit the spot and also my hand had a hard time fitting near the metal brace that holds the transmission in place. It takes time to get it right, and I may have sprayed more of the lube inside than I originally wanted. After spraying, I had my fiancee pump the clutch a few times slowly... then I sprayed a couple of more times.

Immediately afterwards... there wasn't much difference. As I mentioned though, over a couple of hours it must have worked itself in somehow and the squeak went away completely.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I know how frustrating the squeak is.

Last edited by tquill; 10-11-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Volcom45

Thanks for the response tquill! I actually gave it another go yesterday morning and was able to get the car up a little higher so that I had better access to this boot cover. I still was unable to look inside of it, feel like I need to hold a mirror almost to look in and see what I'm spraying, but I held the boot back with one hand and stuck all 4-5" of that hose in sort of straight in and sprayed several times, then got out and pumped the clutch. This time around, the clutch seemed to improve right from the start dry pumping it. I then put the boot back in, lowered the car and went for a 10 minute drive and it seemed like it was a huge improvement, was hardly making any noise at all. I was very excited and figured I'd fixed it and that after a few hours like you, it would be perfect. However, it slowly started to come back the next time I drove it. It's still definitely better than it was but never went away. I'm guessing I maybe got part of the joint this time or needed a few more sprays after pumping the clutch which I didn't do. I guess I'll be giving it a 3rd go, they say 3rd times the charm right?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM
tquill

Hopefully a third time will fix it for you. I remember I did use a popsicle stick to reach up there and feel what I was spraying... and in the process, it got some gunk off the joint. Maybe that helped the spray penetrate better?

Anyway, I'm not sure I actually saw clearly what I was spraying either. It's far enough in there and at such an odd angle, I'm not sure it's possible to get a clear view of the joint.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM
tquill

Well the squeak came back a little bit once the weather got cold... but I'm not sure if that's why. Anyway, gonna respray the joint this weekend and see if it goes away again. Even if I have to do this a few times a year.... it's totally worth it. It's definitely not as bad as it was though.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 PM
sfearl1

another z with the same problem right here! was gonna post an entire thread until i found this. i'm actually getting my car inspected tomorrow (just bought it and need to get it registered), i might ask the place to take a look and spray it down for me while it's there.

also was wondering about a rattle that i occasionally get when the car shuts down. comes from front 4th of the car under the drivers side. only happens occasionally, as if the car shuts down at a certain rpm level if that's possible. wondering if its associated with the squeeky/creaky clutch issue.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 AM
kdyngus

I had exactly same problem for about 6 months. I found this topic and was about to follow the DIY provided by you guys and guess what ??

The pin ball - that part mentioned few posts up - in the middle of the withdrawal lever snapped in half !!! The lever got loose and the clutch pedal got stucked in the floor.

Looks like this little part is made of weak steal. Had to remove the tranny and clutch cover to replace the broken pin !!!!!! 7$ in parts .. $$$$$$$ in labor !!

No idea if it has anything to do with the noise but worth sharing...
After replacing the pin it and applying grease as per service manual the noise is gone !!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 AM
cjeezy

Mine did that too. I'm not sure if the sound was loud on the outside (never checked). It went away after I had the clutch and transmission replaced.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
tquill

To update, after my squeak came back (the spray worked for months) the spray no longer works. I guess I'll just deal with it until I have to replace the clutch.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
larrytr

Okay,add me to the list, I have the same problem as the guy in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hk_DvuILCw The probem started last September. I took it to the dealer, and they blamed the noise on a bad throw-out bearing. They claimed that residue from the clutch-plates must have accumulated on the bearing, thus causing it to wear. They did throw some 'grease' underneath, but claimed the problem would come back. Well, it was good all winter, I maybe heard the noised once or twice. Now, its back with a vengance. I'll try to shoot some lithium grease on the location identified in the pictures, and then pursue the copper grease, not sure if its available locally. My question is, where is the excess grease landing? Everyone claims to be careful not to spray too much, and I'm notorious for doing such. What will the grease land on that could cause issues... The noised has gotten terrible...
Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Lithium will melt or wash out - you must use the copper based grease. I had the same problem. The copper grease is a thick paste - a buddy of mine is a Nissan tech. He put it up on a rack, put some of the grease on a small brush and stuck it up inside the rubber cover and slathered up the pivot point. I haven't heard a sound from it since last summer when he did it.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
larrytr

any idea where I can find this grease? I have spray lithium grease, as I've lubed the entire pedal assembly. so I was hoping that would at least last a month or 2, or figured I could re-apply. Can I get this at pep-boys or a similar auto-suppy store (napa,advance auto, etc)???
Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably any auto supply store should have it.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Clutch on pedal depress - sounds from under the car