Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeaky Clutch on pedal depress - sounds from under the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 AM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I very carefully sprayed the joint with brake cleaner first, then let it dry. After that I hit it with some copper anti-seize that has a straw on it. The problem went away immediately. Also being careful not to spray too much, although it won't make the clutch slip since it's clamped together anyway. I reved it up a little just to sling off any excess lube that might have gotten on the clutch. Mine only has 31k on it and has been doing this since I picked it up with 27k last august. Thank you everyone for the info, it took a lot of worry off my mind since the car has other issues to deal with....(it's an 03).
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 AM
myfirstzcar

I'm going to use actual copper grease next time, as I will be upgrading. I guess I'll put a pivot ball on the list as well.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
tquill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your mileage is pretty low, but for those with higher mileage, I noticed that the squeak mostly went away after changing the clutch fluid. Now there is only a slight squeak when pushing the pedal in, when before there was a horrible squeak when letting the pedal out.

I'm going to try to copper spray again and hopefully it will remove the slight squeak that's left.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:32 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Lithium will melt or wash out - you must use the copper based grease. I had the same problem. The copper grease is a thick paste - a buddy of mine is a Nissan tech. He put it up on a rack, put some of the grease on a small brush and stuck it up inside the rubber cover and slathered up the pivot point. I haven't heard a sound from it since last summer when he did it.
Was it Brett? I'm gathering up a list of crap I need done
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
James_Spec

anyone has updates about their fix?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:07 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Not much you can say about this other than "it works". Mine was done last fall and still no squeeking.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
JThom87

Okay guys, I had the same problem with my 03' and I went under the car today using Tquill's tech tip. I bought the same lubricant Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant. So far this solution works very well. After the area was sprayed, the pedal no longer had any kind of squeak. The clutch pedal also became much easier to push in and out. This stuff works great!! I also added a few additional pictures in relation to where the grommet is located under the chassis. Tquill's picture showing exactly where to spray was dead on, it worked like a champ. I had my digital SLR under the car with me so getting close up shots of in the grommet was difficult so use Tquill's photos where he highlighted the area with a red circle. Here are a few pics of the location. It is gonna be on the left side, mid way down the car. I jacked my car up and slid under from the front of the car.

Last edited by JThom87; 08-13-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

I had the same squeek both pressing and releasing the clutch. I replaced the slave cylinder and it dissapeared. ??????
Different problem maybe?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
laser-g

car is at the dealer for this same issue..they are droping the tranny to take a look to see where in the bell housing the noise is from.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM
devildoc

I'm having the same problem too with my 2003. I took it to the dealership a few weeks ago and they mentioned that the clutch needs to be replaced. The clutch feels as strong as day one, it's just squeaking now. There is no way I could see replacing it just for this squeaking sound.

I might try to pull the grommet back and try to get some grease up there. One thing, after reading this thread, I don't really understand what the poster below mentioned. Is this something that could go wrong?

Originally Posted by kdyngus
I had exactly same problem for about 6 months. I found this topic and was about to follow the DIY provided by you guys and guess what ??

The pin ball - that part mentioned few posts up - in the middle of the withdrawal lever snapped in half !!! The lever got loose and the clutch pedal got stucked in the floor.

Looks like this little part is made of weak steal. Had to remove the tranny and clutch cover to replace the broken pin !!!!!! 7$ in parts .. $$$$$$$ in labor !!

No idea if it has anything to do with the noise but worth sharing...
After replacing the pin it and applying grease as per service manual the noise is gone !!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 AM
tquill

It seems that happened before he tried to fix it... so I don't think that would happen from you trying to fix the squeak.

The grease worked well for me for a while... then stopped. I tried to regrease and the squeak was still there (although not quite as loud). I decided to live with it for a while and now it's gone again and it's stayed gone for a while. I don't know what's going on.

I wouldn't replace the clutch for the squeak, but that would a more permanent fix. Depending on how many miles you have on the clutch... you might need to replace it soon anyway... so it just depends on how much the squeak annoys you.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 PM
devildoc

Bump.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Evansblue787

Sorry to bring up an old thread, But my 03 has started the squeaking. At 86,000 miles should I just go ahead and replace the clutch with the JWT clutch and flywheel combo? Will that fix the squeak? Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 AM
SlipZ

i have this inside cabin noise clutch release clicking noise issue a while back. I found out that the metal hinges on the release spring (clutch pedal) is the one making noise. I went and got copper based grease. Put some grease on the area. No noise issue for 1 yr already...

here is the pic

Squeaky Clutch on pedal depress - sounds from under the car-350z_inside_cabin_noise.jpg

Its hard to get in under the clutch pedal..you have to have a flashlight to see under there...

hope this helps some guys out....if not most of us!!

Last edited by SlipZ; 06-25-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
tquill

My squeak came back for a while like I mentioned a few posts above, but it went away again for no reason, and hasn't come back in tens of thousands of miles. I'm at 130k.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
tquill

Originally Posted by Evansblue787
Sorry to bring up an old thread, But my 03 has started the squeaking. At 86,000 miles should I just go ahead and replace the clutch with the JWT clutch and flywheel combo? Will that fix the squeak? Thanks
It should, if the squeak is coming from the same place mine was.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Itzcashew

I believe this squeak is the clutch slave. The push rod on the clutch slave that meets up with shift fork wears and begin squeaking. Putting anti-seize on the top of the push rod helps prevent it from squeaking.

As someone above state they replaced their clutch slave and it went away.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 AM
labelworkshop75

Thread bump. I GOTS ME A SQUEAK SQUEAK. Will be attempting soon.

This thread could use some better pictures. I really have no idea what/where exactly needs to be sprayed, but I think I can figure it out. I may take some pics.

Also, are there any better options then the spray listed on the Amazon link in the beginning of the thread. (Posted in 2009)
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
iknowitsfast

I havent been on my350z for almost three years and i come on here and its amazing how many people have this same issue. Mine not only squeaks but when I first start the car in the morning i get a very loud grinding noise when I press the clutch pedal in. It goes away after the car is warmed up. Plus my RPM jump funny before catching the gear while driving. Im thinking its time for a new clutch. ugh
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Lucky736

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... changed the oil the other day and today was looking at doing the rear pads, had a "dragging" noise that sounded like it was at the drivers rear. Took the caliper off, reseated the pads, checked them for how much life was left..... almost sounded like they needed to be replaced as the noise changed slightly when the brakes were depressed, checked the passenger side rear as well. Lifted each side individually. I put the car back down, get in it, start it and now I get this squeaking noise from the clutch pedal. I didn't depress the piston on the caliper I removed. I say this b/c on my old S4 the slave was part of the braking system as far as fluid was concerned. Is this a separate system? Maybe there is an air bubble in the line somehow or coincidence? Something else now. Sigh. North DFW area.

Last edited by Lucky736; 10-25-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Clutch on pedal depress - sounds from under the car