Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

any complaints about the a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Silver Bullit II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very hot here,

very humid, ambient temp 96, THI about 115, A/C cools like a meat locker, no tint on the windows.
JMS in TX
Old 06-26-2003, 08:44 PM
cobf32

Phoenix AZ here too, and no complaints from me about the AC in my car, except for the fan which is kind of loud.

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix az
Old 06-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Intrepid175
I've only had one car with automatic AC of any kind. It was a Ford T-bird and it wasn't a fully automatic system. It would control fan speed and blend in heat if needed but the driver controlled where the air was discharged. The system worked well enough. The only time I ever had a problem with it not cooling turned out to be an issue with the electronics (an inside temp sensor) and not the refrigeration system. They replaced the sensor and and that cured the problem. Also, it cooled much better than it ever had before, even when new.

I have to wonder if those of you who have AC complaints, aren't having a problem with the automatic systems calibration, maybe even a weak or defective temp sensor. Just a thought!

A comment on some other statements made above. Humidity does take it's toll on the AC's ability to cool the air but I'm not sure I agree with the comment by McGraphics on the refrigerants being used today as opposed to what was used before. I've got a 2001 Honda Odyssey minivan that uses the same refrigerant and it cools the van just fine in 95+ degree temps and 80 to 90 percent humidity here in the Houston area, and I'm talking about a much larger space to cool down.

FWIW
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
If you live in an area w/high humidity, the a/c works really hard to cool the interior at 85 degrees. I am getting a tint for the hatch that focuses on maximum heat reflectability and lowest darkening, I am not pleased with the really dark tint, too hard to see out, but no aluminum effect. I also use the key fob to open my windows all the way down to begin exhausting the hot air before I get to the car.

Yesterday it was 83 degrees and 87% humidity. I have dual zone heating and air in my house and the 2 units were pulling full blast. When you walk out your door and feel something like a wet sock hit you in the face, your air con will be working overtime in your car too. I put my air con on maximum recirculating and point as many vents directly on me as I can. My Z's air works very well using that technique.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:08 PM
GGGVenom

The 350Z uses the new R134A refrigerant which is not as cold as the old R12 Freon refrigerant. You find that most of the new cars are this way...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:20 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminder to those in high humidity areas, once the interior of the A/C units freezes, it will NOT cool.....it will be like blowing hot air over a block of ice. The A/C evaporator (inside A/C) will start freezing water from from air if water that condenses is not removed or if temperature is too low. This can build up until the evaporator is clogged and becomse a block of ice.

To melt ice, turn A/C off and put fan on high. Once ice is melted insure the recirculate button is on then turn A/C back on and adjust the temp control 68 - 78 and fan control back to auto. By keeping windows closed and the recirculate option on you allow the A/C to cool and dry the air inside the car.

My car has problem cooling vehicle if it is not moving, seems not enough air is pulled thru to cool engine and A/C. Remember that the air intake for cabin is taking the hot air from the engine compartment!

Hope this is of some help.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:26 AM
papo470

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Intrepid175
[B]...The only time I ever had a problem with it not cooling turned out to be an issue with the electronics (an inside temp sensor) and not the refrigeration system. They replaced the sensor and and that cured the problem. Also, it cooled much better than it ever had before, even when new.

I have to wonder if those of you who have AC complaints, aren't having a problem with the automatic systems calibration, maybe even a weak or defective temp sensor. Just a thought!

Intrepid thanks for that info., i'll bring it up to the service dept. of my dealer.

Gerardo
Old 06-27-2003, 01:31 AM
papo470

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GGGVenom
[B]The 350Z uses the new R134A refrigerant which is not as cold as the old R12 Freon refrigerant. You find that most of the new cars are this way...

is it possible to put the R12 freon in our car? thanks for the info.

Gerardo
Old 06-27-2003, 03:42 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

You would have to change out a lot of the system to go to freon. Not worth it.

As for the Phoenix people being happy, somebody brings up a good point about humidity. That may have something to do with it.

I just know that this system in a small interior isn't near as good as my two GM (one R12, one R134A) vehicles and struggles on a 95 degree day like we've been having to ever come off of high fan speed here.

I don't know that it is just the interior temp sensor keeping the fan on high. It isn't cool enough, either.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Intrepid175

Originally posted by papo470
Intrepid thanks for that info., i'll bring it up to the service dept. of my dealer.

Gerardo
Hi Geraldo, Hope it helps. Let us know how it turns out.

is it possible to put the R12 freon in our car? thanks for the info.

As Mannishboy pointed out, you'd have to change a lot of componenets to do that. What's on your car now (seals, hoses, etc.) isn't compatible with R12. From a cost POV, it wouldn't be worth it. Also, the dealer wouldn't be able to legally help you with this. R12 is being phased out of use and depending on where you are in the country, you probably can't find it in the first place. If you could, it wouldn't be cheap.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:14 PM
emu29

Default Re: any complaints about the a/c?

does anyone feel their a/c is not cold enough?..because my a/c is not that cold. i have to turn the fan speed all the way high in order to be comfortable in the car. my '87 supra blows colder than this, my mother's Sienna, my friends camry, and my sister's accord.

i took it to the dealer, and they flushed the whole system, filled it back up to the right pressure, and still is not that cold. i am going to take it back again, now that the weather here in nj is hot, and i can tested then and there once they are finished with it. i just wanted to know your opinions on the matter.

thanks

Gerardo
I am in Texas and my stock A/C cooled very nicely, however I had the compressor noice re the TSB regarding the A/C noise...The dealer ordered and A/C kit per the TSB. Installed it last week. Over the weekend I had a problem with the compressor cycling off periodically at idle and not coming back on for 5-10 minutes.

Back to the dealer...they said that they had been having problems with their equipment use to meter the correct volumes of refrigeran when replacing same, and as a result they had put to much in the system....???? Said that all was fixed (A/C reserviced/recharged...got the car back today. The compressor does not cycle off when it is not supposed to any more but the A/C air is not as cool as it was with the old compressor.

I took a cooking thermometer that has an un-metered range below 100 degrees and checked the air vent temperature for 5 minutes in the Z and two of my other cars. The Z appears to be 15-20 degrees warmer than my other cars.

QUESTION: CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE SPECS ARE FOR WHAT THE AIR VENT AIR TEMPERATURE SHOULD BE WITH THE A/C SET AT 60 DEGREES IN THE Z?????

THANKS.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:22 PM
thoalex

I may be stirring up an old topic but I live in Vegas (dry - not humid) and I think the A/C is a piece of crap. I drive 30 miles a day one way and its gets so I can survive in the car but is it cold? Not in a million years would I call that cold.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:02 AM
az240z

Well another post fom Phoenix saying that the a/c in my cs track gets so cold that i have toturn down the blower. Will try JimH's idea of using the temp setting to control fan.

Az240z
Old 07-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by spn350z
Reminder to those in high humidity areas, once the interior of the A/C units freezes, it will NOT cool.....it will be like blowing hot air over a block of ice. The A/C evaporator (inside A/C) will start freezing water from from air if water that condenses is not removed or if temperature is too low. This can build up until the evaporator is clogged and becomse a block of ice.

To melt ice, turn A/C off and put fan on high. Once ice is melted insure the recirculate button is on then turn A/C back on and adjust the temp control 68 - 78 and fan control back to auto. By keeping windows closed and the recirculate option on you allow the A/C to cool and dry the air inside the car.

My car has problem cooling vehicle if it is not moving, seems not enough air is pulled thru to cool engine and A/C. Remember that the air intake for cabin is taking the hot air from the engine compartment!

Hope this is of some help.
This is very good advice, if you keep your temp setting on 60 degrees and leave it there for long periods of time, the unit can freeze and stop cooling. A couple of days ago, it was 106 here. I set my temp on 68, went to full auto and recirculating and had no problems at all. The interior was very cool and I don't have any tint on my windows at all. I recommend using the 60 degree setting for only short periods and change your setting to what you are comfortable at, 68 after initial cooldown is perfect for me and the air works well for me.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:32 PM
emu29

does anyone feel their a/c is not cold enough?..because my a/c is not that cold. i have to turn the fan speed all the way high in order to be comfortable in the car. my '87 supra blows colder than this, my mother's Sienna, my friends camry, and my sister's accord.

i took it to the dealer, and they flushed the whole system, filled it back up to the right pressure, and still is not that cold. i am going to take it back again, now that the weather here in nj is hot, and i can tested then and there once they are finished with it. i just wanted to know your opinions on the matter.

thanks

Gerardo
I have just gone thru fairly major a A/C process..My original A/C worked great and was frosty, however, it made a groaning noise. Per the TSB the dealer replaced the compressor. I live in San Antonio, TX where it can get hot. All though my replacement a/c was comfortable I had to keep it on leaf blower mode all the time and it did not cool as well as the original a/c. To net it out, the temperature of the air at the air vent with temp set on 60 degrees with air recirc on and a/c set on auto should be 45-48 degrees. My current a/c only gets as low as 60 degrees. You can buy a small outside thermomter at Home Depot and hold it up to the air vent to test your temp. If it does not get down to 45-48 degrees you have a problem. I actually went to the dealer, at the dealer's suggestion, and we sat in one of their recently received un-sold Zs and tested the temp with my thermometer and their service department air vent temp probe...both reflected a rapid air temp drop to 48 degrees. This test was done in the sun in a parked Z with an outside temp of 94 degrees. This temp range I get on all my other vehicles. The dealer, who has been very helpful, agreed there was a problem. They found a small coolant leak in a compressor hose. They had to order a part. Hope to get the car back tomorrow with a frosty a/c.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:20 AM
s9am_me

i think the A/C is fine on the Z. I just set it to about 65 degrees and set it on AUTO. but then again.. temps around my area stay around 60 degrees. Its odd, but i get the smell when i turn off the A/C. When its on.. i don't have the smell. people are reporting otherwise
Old 08-01-2003, 05:49 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has worked just fine in Sacto valley 100-105 degree days.
After the car is cooled down I can lower the fan to lowest two speeds & be comfy.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:44 PM
cujo471

I live in Atlanta. You can cut the humidity with a knife. My Super Black Z cools just fine. You do want to be sure your A/C unit is on recirculate or it won't get very cold. My A/C will freeze your butt off. No problems at all. No smell either. I now have about 2300 miles on her. So far, So good.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 PM
emu29

thanks

Gerardo
I have just gone thru the a/c TSB. Had problems with the new compressor...over charged...then a hole in the compressor line. The problem was discovered as the a/c would only produce 60 degree air at the air vent while set on auto, recirc and max cool.

All of my other cars produce 45-48 degrees air temp at the air vent when set on recirc and lowest temperture. So I took the Z back to the dealer and we got into a new Z on the lot and tested the air temp at the air vent while set on auto, recirc and 60 degree temp setting. The vent air temp went right to 48 degrees. Mine would only go down to 60 degrees.

Buy a $5 small outside thermometer at Home Depot and set your a/c as described above and if your air vent air temp does not get down to 48 degrees plus or minus a couple of degrees after 5-10 minutes you have a problem and should visit your dealer. You can be driving or parked at 2000 RPM to achieve this air temp.

The dealer finally repaired my a/c and it is frosty. I live in San Antonio with 95-100 degree weather and high humidity and after I start driving I have to set my temp at 75-78 degrees as the car gets to cold set at 60 degrees.

Hope this helps.