Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Constant squeak/chirp from belt up front... alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
DoctaC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant squeak/chirp from belt up front... alternator?

What's up guys... my warranty just ran out on the Z, and of course immediately I start hearing things. It's not insanely loud, but it's there, and it wasn't before. It's not the loud screeeeech that I often hear, but I feel if I let it go it will get like that. It's just a constant squeak/chirp/high pitched winding noise, however you want to look at it. I popped the hood and it's the belt you can see right up front on the right side of the car (left if looking under the hood). Is there an easy fix for this, or should I just bring it in, or extend the warranty???

30k mile warranty (left over, bought it used), now at 31k.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

don't worry not a big deal. You can stop the screatching from putting butter, yes i said butter on the belt. This will cause it to stop squeaking. Another thing you can do is get wd-40 and put a liberal amount of it on your belt will fix that problem. I know because i had this problem at one time, your welcome. Yes, it really works just do it you will be pleased with the outcome. my belt started squeaking at the same times yours did lol. Im at 50 thousand now and no squeaks. Before i did this it squeaked all the time it wasn't super loud but its just loud engough to get you annoyed i know how you feel.

Last edited by marques1; 03-05-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctaC
What's up guys... my warranty just ran out on the Z, and of course immediately I start hearing things. It's not insanely loud, but it's there, and it wasn't before. It's not the loud screeeeech that I often hear, but I feel if I let it go it will get like that. It's just a constant squeak/chirp/high pitched winding noise, however you want to look at it. I popped the hood and it's the belt you can see right up front on the right side of the car (left if looking under the hood). Is there an easy fix for this, or should I just bring it in, or extend the warranty???

30k mile warranty (left over, bought it used), now at 31k.
Your belt probably needs to be tightened. If you haven't already replaced your belts, then do so. You should replace the belts every 30,000 miles with a new one. If not, at least service them so their tension and deflection is within spec.

Here's something that should help you out:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/333152-diy-replacing-your-belts-very-easy.html
(read post #14, specifically)

Originally Posted by marques1
don't worry not a big deal. You can stop the screatching from putting butter, yes i said butter on the belt. This will cause it to stop squeaking. Another thing you can do is get wd-40 and put a liberal amount of it on your belt will fix that problem. I know because i had this problem at one time, your welcome. Yes, it really works just do it you will be pleased with the outcome. my belt started squeaking at the same times yours did lol.
Uh.. no. That only temporarily gets rid of the problem. Once the butter/wd-40 comes off, then the squeal is back. That's just hiding the problem, not fixing.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
marques1

my squealing sound never came back, i got my belt checked and it was tight. If the temperature fluctuates alot it will cause the belt to squeak. I live in texas and the temperatures have been crazy 40 one day 80 the next, rain the next. This caused my belt to start squealing. So, if you check your belt and it is tight you might want to try my method.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by marques1
my squealing sound never came back, i got my belt checked and it was tight. If the temperature fluctuates alot it will cause the belt to squeak. I live in texas and the temperatures have been crazy 40 one day 80 the next, rain the next. This caused my belt to start squealing. So, if you check your belt and it is tight you might want to try my method.
I live in TX too. We just got a few inches of snow couple of days ago where I live. Our temperature does fluctuate constantly - it sucks.

BTW, just because you think it's tight, it may actually not be. The Service Manual says to apply 98N (10kg). Unless you have a tool to measure and apply force accurately, you'll just be going off by feel (inaccurate).
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just change the belts. I had the same problem after the new belts no more noises! The same with my C36 with 99k+ miles, new belt and it got smooth as butter.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM
DoctaC

Thanks for the tips everyone... I may just take it in to get tightened or replaced. As for the WD40/butter method... where on the belt would you actually put it? On the inside of it? Wouldn't that decrease the friction making it slip even more? I may give it a shot of it doesn't hurt anything.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
marques1

i just put it on the top and bottom of the belt. i would use wd40 because its alot easier you will hear the sound go away instantly when you put it on. turn the car on and while the belt is moving spray it on the belt. I did it at 30,000 miles im at 50,000 miles still no squeaking.

belts making noise can be from different factors like the people stated a above. You might need a new belt, might needs to be tightened, or the weather can play a role on your belt squeaking because your belt contracts and expands a bit depending on the temp excspecially when the temps. change drastically where you live.

I would look at the belt see if it needs to be replaced , if not then try tightning it, if that doesn't work pull out the wd40 and that will stop it.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by JonsilvZ
Just change the belts.
+1

Changing the belts is a fairly easy and inexpensive task. Have fun....
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
SNOW_WAGON

are your belts cracked?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:46 AM
DoctaC

Not from what I can tell...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

belts take less than 10 minutes to change out..if that. Like one of the moderater said, just change the belts.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 AM
maxpowers

My belt makes the same awfull squishy/whinning noise for the first few minutes on a cold startup.

Both belts are tight and look to be in good shape. Its too cold to lift the car and change them so I'm going to try a little WD-40 in the mean time (belt dressing only made it louder).

My spidey sense tells me WD-40 is a bad idea but I didn't see any negative comments.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
SNOW_WAGON

enough with the wd40 crap already, comet will degrease them and minimize sound...... BUT THE ONLY NONE GHETTO FIX IS TO R+R THE BELTS....
Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 PM
maxpowers

Yeah - WD40 worked for about 10 minutes (but it did degrease everything nice). I just replaced both belts. Its an easy job except for the fact that it is like 40F here.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car sat for three months and when I restarted it I got the belts whining. Does anyone know which belts have to be replaced??? Part numbers???
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by z350boy
My car sat for three months and when I restarted it I got the belts whining. Does anyone know which belts have to be replaced??? Part numbers???
Most likely, it just needs to be retightened. Click the link below for directions (be sure to look at the correct pressures that need to be applied and its location when checking for deflection).
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...7&postcount=14
Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 PM
TouringThe350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make a product specifically for the squeaks and squeels. My belts were doing the same thing recently, however, just change the belts- as said, super easy, recommended maintenance, don't mask the problem, your car will love you.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:31 PM
maxpowers

Yeah that belt dressing crap should be illegal. It made my belts worse and made a mess under the hood. I thought it would be a good temporary fix until it warmed up around here (so I could change the belts more comfortably), but it actually made my belts LOUDER!