Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

tick noise from idle positon to driving in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
rocky16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tick noise from idle positon to driving in 1st gear

ok please i need some help. i have a 06 350 z bought it new. now have 8k miles only. everytime i drive it from stop in first gear. before the clutch is fully released it makes a tick noise from the clutch that i can actually feel in my left leg. sounds like its pushing back.. and the bad thing about it it that its not always.. and dealers say its normal.
i think its the clutch attachment on the paddle moving slightly and hitting on the padle rod. i looked inside there is a gap between the clutch attachment and the paddle. that i saw and there is only one washer on one side only for noise reduction but not on the other side please please.. help me so that i can tell these dealers that i was right.. they are ignoring me. i have my apointment with the dealer this tuesday.. so please before hat anyone. reply.. thanks..ROCKY> PROUD OWNER OF 2006 NISSAN 350Z
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rocky16
ok please i need some help. i have a 06 350 z bought it new. now have 8k miles only. everytime i drive it from stop in first gear. before the clutch is fully released it makes a tick noise from the clutch that i can actually feel in my left leg. sounds like its pushing back.. and the bad thing about it it that its not always.. and dealers say its normal.
i think its the clutch attachment on the paddle moving slightly and hitting on the padle rod. i looked inside there is a gap between the clutch attachment and the paddle. that i saw and there is only one washer on one side only for noise reduction but not on the other side please please.. help me so that i can tell these dealers that i was right.. they are ignoring me. i have my apointment with the dealer this tuesday.. so please before hat anyone. reply.. thanks..ROCKY> PROUD OWNER OF 2006 NISSAN 350Z
I just noticed possibly the same sound / feeling on my 2006. I also bought mine new, but i have more like 27k miles. I pointed it out to them when I took it in for inspection the other day, and the tech told me it was normal. He said it was the throw-out bearing, then took me in the shop and showed me a Z transmission they had sitting out on the floor. He said what happens is that the throw-out bearing is greased at assembly in the factory, and after time the grease can migrate away from it and result is this click / pop sound and feeling when you let the clutch pedal out (as the bearing pushes the clutch plate back into engagement with the flywheel).

I'm not totally satisfied with his answer, although it was thorough, because I still have to deal with the annoying sound and feeling! I also notice it letting the clutch out to go into 2nd. It might happen on higher gears too, but by that time there is all sorts of road noise and vibrations going on that I might just not notice it.

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
rocky16

man i have my car for 2 days at the dealer and they still cant figure it our. and as i said it only makes noise when it wants to.. so they are saying it is not making the noise anymore.. but i will get as much detail on it as possible.. i replicated the noise for them . and the tech also did when i was riding with him.. but for two days says my car is there.. and now tomarrow i will go to pick it up.. still the same thing.. as soon as i will take it it will start making that poping noise.. . and they were like huh.. the tech said he has never heard this kind of sound before.. the thing is the car runs fine.. its just me.. i am really precise about my things and i notice lot of stuff.. . in really it should not do this.. but still man i love my ride.. so lets see.. i think i will grease the padel attachments.. and see what happens..
keep in touch..
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had this issue as well on my 03, i had them grease up the pedal assembly and all noises went away for the most part, I could still however feel it in the pedal.

After i replaced the OEM clutch at around 50k miles with a nismo clutch/flywheel/pp and replaced throw out bearing and etc the noise and feeling is completely gone and its 100% quiet and smooth.

I chalked it up to a tired TO bearing and/or pilot bearing and an overall tired clutch after 50k miles and a lot of racing on it.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
copper350z

I'm Having the same problem and dealership I took it to told me the something... It's has something to do with the flywheel!!