Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM
aireq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shifting

So my car is getting increasingly hard to shift. It's hard to get into get specially when cold. Sometimes the gears grind. It's a 2003, but out of warrenty to get the new tranny.

Could it be as simple as the clutch not disengaging all the way, because the clutch petal is not adjusted properly? If so what is the correct way to check if the clutch petal is in spec?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Re> “Could it be as simple as the clutch not disengaging all the way, because the clutch petal is not adjusted properly? If so what is the correct way to check if the clutch petal is in spec?”

I gotta ask… You knew the 2003 transmission is defective, but you didn’t demand a replacement within the drivetrain warranty period? Why?!

--Spike
Old 04-19-2008, 02:14 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike100
Re> “Could it be as simple as the clutch not disengaging all the way, because the clutch petal is not adjusted properly? If so what is the correct way to check if the clutch petal is in spec?”

I gotta ask… You knew the 2003 transmission is defective, but you didn’t demand a replacement within the drivetrain warranty period? Why?!

--Spike
Hmm.... Where did he say he knew it was defective during the warranty period?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 PM
aireq

Originally Posted by roast

. . . or that I owned the car during the warrenty period.

Eric
Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by aireq
. . . or that I owned the car during the warrenty period.

Eric
You purchased a car with a known drivetrain problem (the transmission) and didn't have any allowance for this?

--Spike
Old 04-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by roast
Read this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....10#post4979010

--Spike
Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
aireq

Originally Posted by Spike100
That thread is wrong I never had the car under warrenty. When I wrote that thread I didn't know when the original owner purchased the car from the dealership. I was only guessing it was under warrenty.

So back to the original question. Clutch petal adjustment? Should I check it out? And if so how? Also has anyone had any luck improving transmissions with new/different tranny fluid like Readline MTL or something?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 PM
CSF

take a look at this thread
there has been debate about if this type of adjustment messes with the disengagement of the clutch. maybe the previous owner did this?

actually, i don't know what the problem is and i don't think the clutch pedal adjustment thing is related. but you might as well check out the clutch pedal. and try out new tranny fluids. all cheaper than a new tranny, which is likely.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 PM
jray8

have you checked to see if the master cylinder in the pedal is leaking?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Spike100

That thread is wrong I never had the car under warrenty. When I wrote that thread I didn't know when the original owner purchased the car from the dealership. I was only guessing it was under warrenty.

So back to the original question. Clutch petal adjustment? Should I check it out? And if so how? Also has anyone had any luck improving transmissions with new/different tranny fluid like Readline MTL or something?
Ok… My mistake, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

So my car is getting increasingly hard to shift. It's hard to get into get specially when cold. Sometimes the gears grind. It's a 2003, but out of warrenty to get the new tranny.

Could it be as simple as the clutch not disengaging all the way, because the clutch petal is not adjusted properly? If so what is the correct way to check if the clutch petal is in spec?
You say: “Sometimes the gears grind.” Gear-grinding is indicative of a synchromesh failure, and it probably means you have a significant problem with your transmission.

Reading your past posts on other threads, it is apparent that you have been dealing with this for awhile. You will get all sorts of guesses here from people who try to help you, but nobody can tell you for sure without directly examining the car. You don’t want to waste time and money trying to fix this with scattered advice such as changing your transmission fluid or adjusting the clutch.

What you need to do is take your car to a qualified mechanic/technician, and get a diagnosis. This way you end the torture and uncertainty, and learn what you must do to fix the problem.

--Spike