Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Check engine light after stalling twice

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
zninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light after stalling twice

Ok so heres what happened..

All my friends are drifters, so naturally they wanted me to try it out... So at a sanctioned event I tried...

Ive got an 06 base. Z

And in Drawing circles, I spun the car around twice, stalling both times... Forgot to put the clutch in... And after each stall the car would not turn over. For at least 15, 20 seconds.. But it would turn over and go on... But after the second time.. The check light came on. But the car runs just like the day I bought it.. Nothing wrong at all. I mean sure i can clear the code easily..But I would rather know whats going on. Havent got a chance to read codes yet. Figured I would just ask.. I searched around alot.. This isnt my first rodeo with forums.. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.. I was going to post in the 350z forum but noticed most all the questions, got moved here.. So i figure this would happen to be the best place to start..

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 AM
zninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 views and no help, Thanks alot..
Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be patient. You aren't paying for this advice.

I've had my 06 base stall a couple of times as a result of what the car may have thought are strange shifting patterns. Every time it was during a double-clutching scenario. My hunch is that the ECU sees the info from the mass airflow sensor as being out of whack and as a result puts the car into a "time-out" mode that is determined by the ECU.

Search this forum- there are quite a few threads about mystery stalls on the car that are not related to the engine but more related to an ECU forced shutdown. It's rare, but not unheard of.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zninja
30 views and no help, Thanks alot..
3 posts and bitching?

So are we supposed to wildly guess which code is thrown? If so.... I give up.

Why don't you ask your mad drifting friends? After all, they got you into this mess.... trying to draw circles in a base model.... I hope you have an aftermarket LSD... or else I suspect your "friends" wanted to see a one legged peg-leg in an *** kicking contest...

I think the obvious solution is to have the code pulled.... it's as free as this forum and takes a simple trip to an auto part store.

You're welcome!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zninja
Ok so heres what happened..

All my friends are drifters, so naturally they wanted me to try it out... So at a sanctioned event I tried...

Ive got an 06 base. Z

And in Drawing circles, I spun the car around twice, stalling both times... Forgot to put the clutch in... And after each stall the car would not turn over. For at least 15, 20 seconds.. But it would turn over and go on... But after the second time.. The check light came on. But the car runs just like the day I bought it.. Nothing wrong at all. I mean sure i can clear the code easily..But I would rather know whats going on. Havent got a chance to read codes yet. Figured I would just ask.. I searched around alot.. This isnt my first rodeo with forums.. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.. I was going to post in the 350z forum but noticed most all the questions, got moved here.. So i figure this would happen to be the best place to start..

Thanks
Nothing's wrong but it's throwing a code? That makes no sense.

If you know how to clear the code easily, then you should also know how to pull the code easily (latter happens right before the former).

Pull the code and find out what code it's throwing. Once you know what the code means, then you can troubleshoot. Until you tell us the code, nobody can tell you what's wrong.