Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clinking Sound - Help me identify please

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 PM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clinking Sound - Help me identify please

Hello all,

Within the past couple of weeks, I have noticed my Z making a clinking noise, mostly when I release the clutch after shifting from 1 --> 2, and then from 2 --> 3. Specifically, the sound occurs during the transition period of letting the clutch out and applying the throttle...you know, when you feel that initial torque right when you touch the gas.

However, through the drives I have taken trying to troubleshoot, I have noticed the sound also occurring when I tap the throttle abruptly at lower speeds/rpms in either of these gears. No shifting, just a tap of the gas.

The "clink" sound is similar to taking two dimes and tapping them together. It is coming from the right side of the car, seemingly from direclty underneath the passenger door area (aka the middle of the vehicle). Honestly, it almost seems like piece of metal is hanging from a string and tapping against another piece of metal, and the slight jerk caused by shifting is enough to sway it and make it come into contact with another hard metal surface. What could be hanging? I was just under her to do an oil change/inspection!

I initially told myself I would bring it to the dealer at the 30,000 mile service I have coming up, but I am not sure if I am even going to bring it in for that service. I have already done all of the "major" parts of it (fluid changes), so I would be paying for the "visual inspections" and "road test", essentially. I may just barter with the service manager (who I know personally) to see if he will cut me a deal on the inspection just for piece of mind. On a side note, is it even worth it? I'm sure the answer is no...

Please help identify this clinking!! Thanks

Last edited by blackfairlady; 04-14-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Rommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's your flywheel chattering. Flywheel chatter is apparently common with our vehicle. It gets worse supposedly if you use a lightweight flywheel like the JWT flywheel.

I'd say ignore it; most people told me to do that already.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:42 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Rommy
That's your flywheel chattering. Flywheel chatter is apparently common with our vehicle. It gets worse supposedly if you use a lightweight flywheel like the JWT flywheel.

I'd say ignore it; most people told me to do that already.
I've had the car since new for 4 years THIS MONTH!

...anyway it has never done this until this month.

I did spin her out on the highway and bent the lower control arm and trailing arms on the driver's side. I don't see how that could be related because this sound is coming from the middle of the passenger side, and the damage from the accident was on the rear of the driver's side. I'm just trying to be as detailed as I can with presenting information about my car to get people's responses as to what this sound could be.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 AM
blackfairlady

bump
Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM
blackfairlady

bump
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
zmoto85

i have the same problem, it jus started happening the other day, i read on a forum on here that its due to the rear axle not being properly lubricated
Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by zmoto85
i have the same problem, it jus started happening the other day, i read on a forum on here that its due to the rear axle not being properly lubricated
I wouldn't think it would be my rear axle. At least I hope it's not. It seems like it is coming from the middle of the vehicle only on the passenger side. Dare I say, I know that's where it's coming from.

I wonder what they meant when they said the axle wasn't properly lubricated.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Rockin_the_Z

I thought I heard something like that the other day. I thought I had a rock in my tire which I hate But I looked and I didn't see anything, so I'm starting to get a little frustrated because it won't go away...It only happens when I slow down and down shift.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
ladyzed

I'm having this problem in my rear passenger side as well, in a gear then abruptly acellerating causing this clicking noise, then decellerating causing the exact same sound. Clicking lasts a few clicks, then on decel a few loud clicks as well. I'm on another website trying to find this TSB. I know there is one.

Classification:
RA04-001b

Reference:
NTB04-065b

Date:
November 9, 2005

APPLIED VEHICLE: 2003 – 2005 350Z (Z33) Coupe and Roadster
IF YOU CONFIRM:

A "clicking" noise is coming from the left and/or right rear axle (driveshaft) when accelerating from a stop,

ACTION:
1. Determine if the noise is coming from one side or both sides.
• If the noise is coming from
only one side, perform the Service Procedure on only one side.

• If the noise is coming from both sides, perform the Service Procedure on both sides.
2. Remove the driveshaft, clean the flange surface of the outer joint on the driveshaft and apply a moderate coat of Molykote M77 grease.

NOTE:
This is the only approved service procedure to repair this incident.

I have the whole official Nissan TSB PDF file. PM me if you want it,
There is a whole lot more than just this including pics.

Darryl
Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
blackfairlady

I just spoke to the service department at my local Nissan dealer and they have ordered the parts necessary to fix the clicking noise described in that TSB.

I totally forgot about it! I've read it here on the forums a couple times.

The service manager says he's 99% sure that's what is causing the noise. Let's hope so!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
ladyzed

Originally Posted by blackfairlady
I just spoke to the service department at my local Nissan dealer and they have ordered the parts necessary to fix the clicking noise described in that TSB.

I totally forgot about it! I've read it here on the forums a couple times.

The service manager says he's 99% sure that's what is causing the noise. Let's hope so!
Are they covering the costs? Stupid dealership said only up to 3/60,000km is covered. Well that's just F*@$& great for me.