Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
matix101vz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did exactlt what you said .... works like a charm ... thanks for the great write up
Old 07-05-2008, 08:17 AM
DriftBlack

Originally Posted by stealthz
Well hopefully no one gets to excited, because I did a write up about this back in 07 on a different 350z forum and almost every time the motor had to end up getting replaced either way... so it may not be worth your time.... this is usually only a temp fix and usually only a short one at that... but nice job on the write up...

And as of about 2 weeks after I did all this and cleaned it all out my motor is all screwed up and will have to be replaced. At least I can get one for about $170 instead of $250+. Still is a rediculous price for a motor smaller than a coke can.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
DML85

Took it apart pretty simple...cleaned it out and put my door panel on CORRECTLY. When I bought it I didn't notice that the door panel below where the tweeter sits wasn't sitting correctly. There was a space there that I'm guessing pushed on the weather strip the caused my window to get squeezed and slow it down and stop it alot. But now it's working perfect!!

On a side note I didn't check to make sure the window was on it's tracks when I put it back together and now I got a nice scratch in my tint on my drivers side window. That pissed me off. But replacing 1 windows tint is better than the whole car. Overall today was good. I can now go through drive throughs!!!

Nice guide thx a lot
Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Old 07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Jedi007

thank for the write up OP.

unfortunately this had zero affect on my window which remains stuck. guess I'm gonna be ordering a new motor! at least now i know how the door comes apart!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 AM
MA4

FYI: I left the window in the 'down' position when i did this, therefore didn't need to use any duct tape. I didn't have any issues doing it this way.

I replaced the drivers side motor and it is twice as fast as the passengers side window..i'm wondering if this means the passengers window motor will go soon ...or maybe the new motor is just faster?

I got my replacement motor from a guy that works at Autozone, they wanted $133.99 but he told me he could get it cheaper and took my phone number. The next day he called me and told me he can get it for $85 and i can keep the old motor. So now I have the old motor. I'm thinking of smashing it in an open field somewhere office-space style.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Jedi007

Name:  office-space.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  26.9 KB
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Chas350Z

Smile

Thanks for the instructions --very clearly presented .

I had a drivers side window on a 2003 Track model that would not go up .
After folowwing your instructions on removing the motor and cleaning , still didn't work so I took the door apart again and replaced the motor with a new one ( $199 at Nissan parts ) , it works great . by the way on the 2nd time I figured out a way to tape the window so the track stayed in place --it was very time consming to rebolt the glass/track to the door panel once it gets loose and slips out of the slots. working by myself and not rushing I spent about 6 hours ( incl 1/2 hr to parts store for the electronic cleaning spray can ) .

I thought the spring loaded bushings in the motor housing looked very worn , one more than the other such that it hardly protruded . So I suspected the motor needed more than cleaning so I was not surprised the motor needed to be replaced .

Anyway , the window now works perfectly and and I learned a bit more about my Z.

Thanks,
Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by Chas350Z

After folowwing your instructions on removing the motor and cleaning , still didn't work so I took the door apart again and replaced the motor with a new one ( $199 at Nissan parts ) , it works great . by the way on the 2nd time I figured out a way to tape the window so the track stayed in place --it was very time consming to rebolt the glass/track to the door panel once it gets loose and slips out of the slots. working by myself and not rushing I spent about 6 hours ( incl 1/2 hr to parts store for the electronic cleaning spray can ) .

I thought the spring loaded bushings in the motor housing looked very worn , one more than the other such that it hardly protruded . So I suspected the motor needed more than cleaning so I was not surprised the motor needed to be replaced .

Anyway , the window now works perfectly and and I learned a bit more about my Z.

Thanks,
If you tape the window in place and not remove it does it negate the need to recalibrate the window..How did you tape it and where..Tape it before doing any removal?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Z_rican

I did not use the tape and now my window won't go down at all. Plus the three screws that hold the motor are stripped. Any ideas how to get the three screws off?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 AM
GremlinsInk

awsome information it came in so helpful thanx
Old 07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My window stopped working, I read this thread and fixed my motor, thanks for this. A huge help.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
HackneyG

You have no idea how grateful I am. Thank you so much for this write-up. My Father and I were able to take apart the door panel with ease, and clean up the motor. Now my window works for the time being. Again, many thanks for this excellent write-up!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by HackneyG
You have no idea how grateful I am. Thank you so much for this write-up. My Father and I were able to take apart the door panel with ease, and clean up the motor. Now my window works for the time being. Again, many thanks for this excellent write-up!!!
No prob guy. Glad I could help..

I glad it's working for some. Again, it's a 50/50 shot that the cleaning will clear up people's problems. Others will just need to replace the motor entirely...
Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
My window stopped working, I read this thread and fixed my motor, thanks for this. A huge help.
*hug
Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chas350Z

Thanks,
Old 07-21-2008, 06:53 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z_rican
I did not use the tape and now my window won't go down at all. Plus the three screws that hold the motor are stripped. Any ideas how to get the three screws off?
I have this little gadget I picked up at Home Depot. It has attachments for screws and nuts. It also has a heavy weighted handle. You hit the handle with a hammer. It in turn, focuses the energy from the blow directly to the screw, and turns it a notch. It's enough to knock it loose. Kind of how an impact gun works...
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Z33roadster

Default :thumbup:

thanks

only issue i had was the window was stuck down, took me 2x the time to put it back together.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z33roadster

thanks

only issue i had was the window was stuck down, took me 2x the time to put it back together.
Glad I could help..
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM
snap

Thanks for the directions. Cleaned the motors but it didnt solve the problem 100%. So I changed the motors myself. Saved a bunch of $$$ doing it myself. The pics were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to take pics and post.

Quick Reply: How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...