Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP! My 350 is malfunctioning!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:55 PM
silverstoned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! My 350 is malfunctioning!

Ive had my car for about a week now and Ive run into a few problems, mainly due to my inexperience as a manual driver. The first few days, I stalled at least 10 times. After the first 2 days, I stopped stalling altogether but made another mistake. When switching to higher gears(from 2-3-4-5-6), instead of completely letting off the clutch, I eased off it, much like you do in 1st and 2nd gear. Is this horrendously bad for my car? Now i am facing a small but scary problem with my car. Whenever I start the engine up, the engine struggles to start and acts like it has a dead/low battery. So basically i have two questions..

1) Is it really bad if I eased off the clutch when switching in high gears.

and

2) What could possibly be wrong with my car! It struggles to start! When i turn the key in a depress the clutch, the engine cranks up but it takes MUCH longer than supposed to, to start up.

Please help me out! Im worrying to death about my car.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:06 PM
MikeW

If you do not have the clutch depressed all the way the engine will not start or will be slugglish when cranking. Make sure you are have the clutch pedal all way to the floor.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:07 PM
bhobson333

1) I think you may be over-analyzing the clutch thing. You need to take the car out with an experienced clutch driver for advice and assistance. You need to remember that the clutch is designed to withstand a lot of abuse and not break.

2) If the car is struggling to start, take it to the dealer.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:26 PM
350zdanny

My car struggles to start sometimes. I'm installing a grounding kit. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to take it to the dealer. You have nothing to worry about. It's a brand new car.

I also concur that you should find someone experienced in stick and have them teach you the finer points or answer your questions hands on. Take care.

Dan
Old 07-16-2003, 08:33 PM
silverstoned

Yea,
I just really regret not taking those first few days learning stick on another car. Im a somewhat competent manual driver now but I really hope i didnt fuq up my car...Either way, im taking it in to the dealership to get it checked out.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:18 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure your clutch is fine. There is virtually no way you could seriously damage it in only a couple weaks unless you were really over revving and slipping the clutch until you could smell it burning. Typically clutches fail by wearing down until they no longer hold when accelerating or going up hills. If your clutch isn't slipping then there is very little that could be wrong with it.

The starting thing is a different story.

Look at the voltmeter when you drive and see where it settles. Does it settle in the same place when you first turn on the car (without the car running)? When you actually engage the starter, how far does the voltage drop?

I'll check out my car tomorrow and we can see if they look similar.

I think most of your problems are just in your head

-D'oh!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:58 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting

Hi
Check the negative cable connector at the battery-
1) if it is loose, pull it off, scrub the post and inside of the connector clamp with green scotchbrite, then wipe with a paper towel. Replace and tighten, then try it.
2) there is a possibility of the clutch dragging- very serious misadjustment would be needed to get this condition, though. If the battery voltage gauge is dropping below 10 or 11 volts, it suggests that the clutch is dragging requiring too much current from the battery.
3) the ground on the engine block could be slightly loose which would limit the starter current somewhat and also might be inconsistent...
good luck
Old 07-16-2003, 10:36 PM
silverstoned

Thanks for all your helpful replies! Ill definitely check the voltemeter tommorow and see what i get. And also, what exactly happens when my clutch drags and are there any other symptoms? My car usually has problems starting up when I first use it. It is usually fine when the car is warm or when ive driven it for a little bit but starting it up when its cold(not exactly "cold" but the normal temperature when my car hasn't been driven) is when i have problems. Would this cancel out the possibility of a dragging clutch?

Last edited by silverstoned; 07-16-2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:39 AM
n8vz

the Z is my 3rd manual car. i don't think there are any specific rules as to clutching techniques. the only 2 things to remeber is
1) step the clutch all way way down everytime you disengage
2)don't "ride" on the clutch while you drive

as for difference between 1st gear and 6th gear. just get the car to drive as "smoothly" as possible and your clutch should be fine. for it's service life(60~100K miles).