Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help...grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
XTAHZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...grinding noise

If anyone has any idea what this problem is I would appreciate it.
I get a grinding noise only when I’m backing up with the wheel turned extremely in either direction. If the wheel is turned only a little bit (20%)…nothing, but (30%) or more and you can hear a grind noise…only from inside the car.

Note: Last week I had the car lowered and I put 19x10 wheels on the front. I also replaced the A-arms with Stillen. The front is now about 4.5 inches off the ground.

I jacked the car up a couple nights ago to investigate but couldn’t find anything. I did notice that it looked like the inside of my passenger wheel was being scraped or shaved on the edge.

When I’m moving forward regardless of speed or direction shift there is absolutely no sound. I can be in a parking lot moving very slowly and crank the wheel (lock to lock) with no sound at all, but as soon as I do the exact same thing while reversing the car I get the noise.
I can’t figure this one out. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
XTAHZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved....

Well after putting it up on a rack I figured out that the back of the wheel was rubbing on the spindal whenever I would turn the wheel almost to lock. The noise was not initially very prominent since the wheel is painted, but once the paint on the edge of wheel wore off the noise became louder.

Solution: 5mm wheel spacers in the front.