Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tool Set

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:56 AM
go_speed_engy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Set

Hey All,
Can anyone recommend an economical and durable toolset for working on my 2004 350z. Certainly it needs to have a torque wrench and sockets. I really only have the most basic tools right now as I know longer live near my father and can't borrow his stuff. Any recommendations would be great. I will be installing adjustable sway bars this week, and I eventually hope to do pretty much everything I can to the car, if only for the sake of entertainment. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
R-TuneZ

i would recommend craftsman tools, they are durable, well-built, and affordable. they also have a lifetime warranty so if you snap a socket or chip a tooth on a ratchet, you will get a free replacement. if you have a larger budget snap-on makes some excellent tools and they have a tremendous selection, but they are very expensive (they carry the same life-time warranty). alternatively, if your budget is bare-minimum, harbor freight has a large selection of tools and equipment at very affordable prices. i have only bought a few things from them but i know people that swear by their products.

http://www.harborfreight.com/
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
go_speed_engy

So I will need a torque wrench, some sockets, but what other basics would you recommend?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
R-TuneZ

depending on what kind of work you will be doing yourself, you should consider buying a couple of things. first of all yes, get a torque wrench... and dont cheap out, get a nice one. you want 2 of them though, one that measures ft/lbs and one that measures in/lbs. get a whole range of sockets, ratchets, and wrenches (i prefer the ratcheting wrenches, they are very useful, but rather expensive). craftsman offers kits that contain a lot of sockets, ratchets and wrenches at a good price, that is how i bought my first set. get a hydraulic jack (a must), and jack stands. i have found that very long nosed needle nose pliers are extremely useful when working on any car. a magnetic pick up tool is also an essential in my opinion, in case you drop a bolt or what have you somewhere you can not reach with your hands. a long breaker bar to loosen those impossible bolts, and sometimes your lugs. some wd-40 or other penetrating lube is very useful, as well as brake-kleen. a pair of mechanix gloves are always nice to have, i dont personally use them (because it makes it more difficult to feel around and distinguish things you cant see) and people might call you a pansy *** but they are nice to have. ill post other things you will need as i think of them, but with what i have listed here, you will have a very comprehensive set of tools for the average DIYer.

Last edited by R-TuneZ; 07-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.