Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Possible Oil Leak...Dealer Says NO

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:16 PM
350DropTop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Oil Leak...Dealer Says NO

I'm just about to leave on the first leg of a 600 mile road trip tonight. I had my oil changed at the dealership around noon today. When I returned to work, I noticed a stream of oil coming from the car. It was raining so it made a nice slick in the parking lot.

I immediately called the dealership service department and was told that it was very likely old oil that may have gotten on the frame when when the filter was removed. I was also told, "you wouldn't have been able able to drive it off the lot if there was a problem."

Things appeared to be find when I left work at 6:30. But when I got home I placed a piece of cardboad under my car in the garage. An hour later, there was about 2 tablespoons of oil on the cardboad. It was definitely dark and looked like used oil. I've checked the dipstick, and the level appears to be fine (3/4 to full). Also there's no indication of an issue from either the oil presure or engine temp guages.

The last thing I want to do is get stranded on the interstate tonight (it's a really crappy night here in ATL), least of all destroy my engine.

Any ideas? Was the service tech right about it being old oil that got on the frame from the oil change? My gut says to postpone the trip and take it in tomorrow morning to get looked at.

Any insight will help. Thanks guys.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

if he/she didnt drop the plastic undertray it would make alot of sense.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 PM
350DropTop

Thanks Jarred. Being more than a little uneducated concerning the inner working of my engine compartment, is that something I could verify for myself. I don't have jacks to roll the car on and can't get under the car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

well you could try and reach under there and put your finger around the edges and see if you find any or you could spray it out and let it sit for a little bit again. if its old oil and your oil in your car looks new i would not worry.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
350DropTop

Ok.... I was able to get a good look at the underpan through the wheel spokes using a flashlight. It only has a few drops of moisture in there... which could be residual from the wet roads (or spattered oil from the change I guess). However, there was a larger puddle, maybe a couple of tablespoons, near the opening of the underpan where the oil is making it's way out.

Just for piece of mind, before I decide to hit the road... If I did have an oil leak, either from the drain plug or poorly fastened filter (or something like that) would it be clearly evident when the engine is running?

Thre was more oil on the piece of cardboard when I went to check the underpan which still has me concerned. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by 350DropTop; 10-24-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check around the drain plug too. Just in case they didn't screw it in all the way, or worse, cross-threaded it.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM
350DropTop

Unfortunately, I can't get under the car to access the drain plug. And I'm not too trusting of the spare tire jack to hold the car up. The fear of getting too "up close and personal" with my car's undercarriage while I'm educating myself on its bits and bolts is a bit too much.

At this point the night is sort of blown anyway... I wouldn't make it to my destination tonight until 2:00. So I'm just going to see what things look like in the morning.

Thanks for the insight guys. Nice to know there's a resource for quick answers when these types of things come up.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:35 PM
350DropTop

In anyone has any interest.... I took my car back to the dealer this morning. They had broken the washer to the drain plug and it was, in fact, slowly draining. Overall I can't say I lost more than half a quart in a 24 hour period. But given a couple days, I would have been in some real trouble.

Thanks again Jarred and treefiddy for the feedback.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to have a resolution. I had thought about the washer, but forgot to mention it.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 350DropTop
In anyone has any interest.... I took my car back to the dealer this morning. They had broken the washer to the drain plug and it was, in fact, slowly draining. Overall I can't say I lost more than half a quart in a 24 hour period. But given a couple days, I would have been in some real trouble.

Thanks again Jarred and treefiddy for the feedback.
Glade that worked out. A mechanic gets a little overzealous with a wrench, and cracks the crush washer. It happens.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:16 PM
350DropTop

Well.... I started out on my road trip this evening and an hour into the trip, the Service Engine Soon light came on. So I drove it back fearing something else might be wrong. So I'm still stuck. I don't think it has anything to do with the oil now. I had them replace the air filter with the oil change.

Off to AutoZone tomorrow morning to get the code read....

Thanks.

Last edited by 350DropTop; 10-25-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can always do the "pedal method" to get and clear the codes. no reason to wait to find out.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:05 PM
350DropTop

Ran down to AutoZone and picked up the code:

P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Shorted

I couldn't find anything specific on this forum for this code (except the definition which matched what AutoZone gave me). Just one question: Could this be a result of the dealer doing a poor job on the installation of the air filter?

It's seems all too coincidental that I start leaking oil then throw an engine light immediately following their service. This is a pretty reputable dealer and all prior service as well as the buying experience was pretty good.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
mberthia

Is you gas cap on tight. On don't remember the code that it will give but if you don't have the gas cap tight it will not build up pressure and you'll get a code.

As for the oil change, they must have reused the crush washer. Most do but they are supposed to replace it.