Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:21 PM
LIdrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you are within the warranty period, which ALL Zs still are, then you are fine. If you have any modifications, they may try to say these caused the issue in which case they will try to make you pay. NEVER let them charge you and tell you you will have to go through Nissan to get the reimbursement. You should pay 0.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by LIdrew
as long as you are within the warranty period, which ALL Zs still are, then you are fine. If you have any modifications, they may try to say these caused the issue in which case they will try to make you pay. NEVER let them charge you and tell you you will have to go through Nissan to get the reimbursement. You should pay 0.
5 years and/or 60K miles, whichever comes first.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:59 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LIdrew
I know a guy who already has 70K miles on his 03 350Z....I'm sure there are more that are over 60K out there...hell...somebody probably has near 100K already.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:00 PM
tractng

Originally posted by Pit Bull
5 years and/or 60K miles, whichever comes first.

Good to hear that!

Tony
Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 AM
Lemans350

After reading this among many other threads on the same topic, there seems to still be issues people are having with this 008 tranny even on brand new 05's being difficult to shift into certain gears, however it seems the 2-3 griding issues have been resolved.

Should people who may start having problems with grinding in thier older trannys wait for yet another revision to come out before persuing a replacement to the 008?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
alpine

Originally posted by Row2K
Will nissan replace the tranny no matter what ? Like is there a limit to how many miles you have for example how they do the tires with the feathering. Like if you have more than a certain number of miles will they deny the service or make you pay for it ?
You need to get the TSB, and then contact Nissan about any kind limitations on this replacement.

I suppose if you have 50K miles, and you are outside whatever warranty/contract you have, they might just say "hey, that's wear and tear"
Old 03-08-2005, 08:16 AM
alpine

Default New Question for People with/without Swapped Trannys...

As some of you know, Ihad my tranny swapped out, somewhere between 13-15K miles and a little over a year.

My original tranny, until the infamout 3rd gear grind (most common sign of the problem) was fine.

My replacement tranny, which was supposed to be the 4th generation trans in the late '04 model was a little finicky about some shifts, but for the most part, better.

Now I've got another year or so on the new trans, and I have had my car go through a few upgrades and some clutch/flywheel work.

I've got what seems as "new to me" but I wanted to know if anyone experiences this as well before I go back to the shop and complain about it.

Downshifting from 6th to 5th.

Sometimes, if I downshift, by pressing the shifter all the way to the right, and go directly up, there is a "bump" where I can not smoothly complete the shift, without coming a bit to the left.

This has actually prevented me from shifting into 5th, and that concerns me. I actually have to pull down towards 6th, and then retry 5th, not being full right in the channel.

This typically only occurs with speed/stress.

Other times, normal/casual driving/shifting, it is perfectly fine.

Let me know what you guys have on this.

I want to know if this is going on elsewhere, and I am just over sensitive due to my other work, or am I developing a problem.

thanks,

joe
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Lemans350

Originally posted by alpine
[B]You need to get the TSB, and then contact Nissan about any kind limitations on this replacement.
Is there a TSB on this issue? there isnt one posted on this site, and as well i have access to an online database for TSBs and there isn't one on there either.

Obviously the car has to be within it's warranty period of 5 years / 60k miles, i wouldnt think they could deny you any repair as long as you are inside that timeframe/mileage
Old 03-08-2005, 11:04 AM
alpine

Originally posted by Lemans350
Is there a TSB on this issue? there isnt one posted on this site, and as well i have access to an online database for TSBs and there isn't one on there either.

Obviously the car has to be within it's warranty period of 5 years / 60k miles, i wouldnt think they could deny you any repair as long as you are inside that timeframe/mileage
They must have a TSB by now due to the number of trannies out there getting swapped out and or serviced for this particular matter.

And I am talking about only what I have seen personally either through the net or through the various dealers that I have relationships with.

It may or may not be below whatever statisitic they need to consider it a TSB or Production Problem.

They defintely have a "formula" to approach the problem. There is a some kind of a "push rod" or something that needs to to be changed first, once that thing gets changed and the problem CONSISTENLY persists, they swap out the tranny.

Performance Nissan in Duarte is very familiar with this problem, as is Miller Nissan in Van Nuys.

Performance was much more on the willing/helpful side of the line, whereas Miller had been somewhat resistant, and now "going with the guidelines" of Nissan.

That is my first hand experience, aside from what I have seen/heard in general conversation & participation on the net.

Also I mentioned that whatever warranty/contract you have, of course she be considered replace/servicable.

I don't know if you have a new car, when you bought it, etc..etc..

I find more and more 350 owners that have purchased used (whatever condition/price) and that makes a world of difference in any manufacturers point of view and liability.

I do believe that any point in time, that Nissan or another manufactuer, wants to cross the line and state "your problem is caused by abuse and/or usage outside the design/intention of the product" they have that choice.

(I know the previous paragraph is going to start up a blast of "no that's not true" or whatever and a whole set of flaming posts/PMs. It is not a blanket statement, and it all varies case by case. I have been at that point a couple times with my car at various locations/reasons and thus far I have had some serious work handled under warranty even after they told me "you are going to pay for this" after I posed this message, I came back and edited this part in).

Now of course, they will bring in a whole set of laws, and various other legal problems for both them and a owner of said product.

This is not something they would do easily, because they know the burden of proof is on them, but their will be people in various positions between you and them, that would try to "scare" you with such tactics in the hopes you don't press through all the proper channels.

Last edited by alpine; 03-08-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by alpine

I've got what seems as "new to me" but I wanted to know if anyone experiences this as well before I go back to the shop and complain about it.

Downshifting from 6th to 5th.

Sometimes, if I downshift, by pressing the shifter all the way to the right, and go directly up, there is a "bump" where I can not smoothly complete the shift, without coming a bit to the left.

This has actually prevented me from shifting into 5th, and that concerns me. I actually have to pull down towards 6th, and then retry 5th, not being full right in the channel.

This typically only occurs with speed/stress.

Other times, normal/casual driving/shifting, it is perfectly fine.

Let me know what you guys have on this.

I want to know if this is going on elsewhere, and I am just over sensitive due to my other work, or am I developing a problem.

thanks,

joe
I have the same issue...all I did was adjust the way I shift into 5th gear so I don't push the shifter too hard to the right.

I guess you can fix it by adjusting some plate under the shifter.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
ssk0771

Got new tranny on my Roadster last monday. I hope I don't start all over with this tranny issue like my previous Z.
"READ MY SIG"

Last edited by ssk0771; 03-13-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:01 AM
tacomaboy

PING, mine is getting swapped starting today.

I am debating whether or not to pay for a NISMO clutch (depending on how much it costs).
Old 03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
jcroteau

OK I need some help; I have a 2003 Tourning with 32K, I bought her in Oct of 2002. I just started getting some grinding when going into 3rd and sometimes into 5th gear. When I went to the dealer the service manger told me that the clutch was the problem, it needs to be replaced. That they have been replacing the clutches at about 32k to 35k. Am I wrong but when your clutch goes out won't the engine start reving as the clutch starts slipping? I feel that the transmission needs to be replaced, not the clutch. I can't find a TSB to take into the dealer or can someone tell me of a dealer near Frederick MD that I can take my car too.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
jcroteau

Oh one more thing the dealer wants to charge me $2000.00 to install a JWT clutch and flywheel, when I told them that I would bring in my own parts and to tell me what the labor was they told me 10 hours at $85.00 per hour.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:15 PM
raptorbh12

I was racing an Evo tonight and i blew out my 3rd gear. It acts just like it is in nuetral now. I have an aftermarket JWT clutch and flywheel. Will nissan replace my trans? what can i do?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:03 AM
raptorbh12

BTW i have an 04 nissan 350z with the newer "revised" transmission, so all you 04 owners are not safe. i only have 13k miles on the car and this happened. im afraid to drive it around now fearing i will get stuck somewhere without any gears.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM
projectmrod

my tranny got changed last week. i had a mad grinding noise when it idled and the noise when away when i pushed in the clutched. i took it into nissan and they said it was probaly my throwout bearing and it might not be covered under warranty.. but the next day i went to pick it up.. and i guess the problem was the throwout bearing.. and they noticed some grinding wear in the tranny.. sooo they decided to give me a whole new transmission and clutch assembly.. thank god for warrantys.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:36 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by raptorbh12
BTW i have an 04 nissan 350z with the newer "revised" transmission, so all you 04 owners are not safe. i only have 13k miles on the car and this happened. im afraid to drive it around now fearing i will get stuck somewhere without any gears.
I'm assuming you missed a gear badly and stripped all the teeth off of 3rd gear on the input shaft. This isn't a problem with the trasmission...it's driver error. Your trans is the FIRST that I've ever heard of having a gear failure...and we have Z's rolling around with VERY agressive clutch set-ups and well over 400whp with no issues.

Stripping gears is a neglect issue, and you'll be VERY lucky if Nissan covers it under warranty.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:36 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by jcroteau
OK I need some help; I have a 2003 Tourning with 32K, I bought her in Oct of 2002. I just started getting some grinding when going into 3rd and sometimes into 5th gear. When I went to the dealer the service manger told me that the clutch was the problem, it needs to be replaced. That they have been replacing the clutches at about 32k to 35k. Am I wrong but when your clutch goes out won't the engine start reving as the clutch starts slipping? I feel that the transmission needs to be replaced, not the clutch. I can't find a TSB to take into the dealer or can someone tell me of a dealer near Frederick MD that I can take my car too.
apparently there isn't an actual TSB out there, but Nissan does know about this problem. You would most likely need to contact Nissan North America, Customer Care/Service directly if your local dealers do not want to fess up.

You are right in your opinion about revs with a failing clutch, however I suppose that's not the only indication of it. More than likely you are correct and it is the trans.

Your problem is EXACTLY what I experienced with mine, first it was 2nd to 3rd, and then it was 4th to 5th. There was about 400/500 miles between the problems.

By the time I got a dealer to take care of it, 3rd gear was a joke to get into under any acceleration, and 5th was easy to get into, but made a lot of noise.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 AM
alpine

Originally Posted by jcroteau
Oh one more thing the dealer wants to charge me $2000.00 to install a JWT clutch and flywheel, when I told them that I would bring in my own parts and to tell me what the labor was they told me 10 hours at $85.00 per hour.
The estimate is a little high, but it's not as outrageous as others I've seen.

You're "lucky" they'll even do that work for you.

There is a labor book for any and all work to be performed. Nissan knows what it takes to do a clutch job. The JWT does not require any "modifications" so it should take 6-8 hours to do this job, they are adding a couple extra hours there minimum.

I don't know what the JWT setup costs these days, but you can find pricing fairly easily.

I don't know what your HP or Performance goals are with your car, but you may not want to go with a JWT. I had that originally, and yes it does rev/accelerate faster, but also due to it's design it also wears considerably faster.

It did not hold up nearly as well as my stock clutch & fw, and I put them through more than the JWT when I swapped out to the RPS.

You may want to consider the RPS Street disc and Rebuildable FW, check them out at http://turboclutch.com/ you can speak to JT and you might mention that Joe referred you if you have any questions, and they will refer you to a reseller. There is a couple here on the board.

They have done an excellent job for me, and took care of some support issues that I needed. The product itself rocks, I'm apply much more HP, and more wear and tear, and can see the difference as to how well their product is holding up.

PM me for anything you might need.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.