Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:30 AM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When people say "new transmission", do they really mean an entire new transmission? I'm guilty of this myself in a couple threads, but it's wrong. Because more often than not, people just get their synchros replaced (for ex. 5-6th gear synchros). Getting your synchros replaced is not getting a "new transmission".
Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
methylal

Originally Posted by phile
When people say "new transmission", do they really mean an entire new transmission? I'm guilty of this myself in a couple threads, but it's wrong. Because more often than not, people just get their synchros replaced (for ex. 5-6th gear synchros). Getting your synchros replaced is not getting a "new transmission".
In my thread, when I say a new transmission. I mean a NEW transmission. I saw the order for a new one to be shipped to them within 3 days. Cost was approx. $2550.00 and $101.00 for the clutch.

--meth
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
phile

Isn't it great that so many people have faulty cars. This is ridiculous.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Pit Bull

I won't keep this Z past the 5 year 60K mile warranty period. But since the wife only drives it around 9K miles a year it will be gone in 5 years.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea...about 5% of the 89,000 350Zs that are on the road today...man that's SOOOO many people.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Pit Bull
I won't keep this Z past the 5 year 60K mile warranty period. But since the wife only drives it around 9K miles a year it will be gone in 5 years.

If it doesn't have any further problems with the transmissions (which it looks like it won't based on the very high success rate with the 008 tranny) within 5 years or 60K why would it suddenly start having problems then??? Whatever though...I really don't think most people will keep a Z for 5 years regardless of the drivetrain warranty. The kind of people that buy Z's won't want the current one anymore with all the cool new cars that will be out then.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 PM
phile

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Yea...about 5% of the 89,000 350Zs that are on the road today...man that's SOOOO many people.
Whatever the actual percentage is, in factories that have robots that machine/install equipment with .0001 tolerances, this seems like a lot of faulty transmissions. Not to mention all the other TSBs this car has had. I will stick to what I said. If your 5% figure is even remotely right, that actually is significant.

Why be so sarcastic and cynical? Do you own stock in Nissan?

Last edited by phile; 06-10-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:04 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Whatever the actual percentage is, in factories that have robots that machine/install equipment with .0001 tolerances, this seems like a lot of faulty transmissions. Not to mention all the other TSBs this car has had. I will stick to what I said. If your 5% figure is even remotely right, that actually is significant.

Why be so sarcastic and cynical? Do you own stock in Nissan?
EVERY MODEL OF EVERY CAR HAS LOTS OF TSB'S. It's not TSBs that you should worry about....it's RECALLS.

My 97 maxima had something like 50 TSBs out for it. Want to know how many actual problems I had with the car??? NONE.

The first model year (and sometimes the second) of ANY model car will have issues. That's just a fact of life. Just be glad that the Z engine doesn't catch fire (Fords) or the front suspension doesn't randomly collapse (Toyota Trucks). Besides...I haven't heard many people complaining about the 05 Z's..and it did win JD Power's initial quality crown for the sports car segment.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:20 PM
phile

I wish I owned an '05 Z. I have an '03, and have had tranny problems, tire feathering, grease streaks, windshield wiper motor wore down to bare metal, rear trunk latch won't open right (takes 2 or 3 tries), have to take it in because i'm within the vin range of the faulty crank position sensor (which is classified as a recall). Also, my flywheel has been chattering alot when my foot is off the clutch and i'm out of gear, ever since they replaced my synchros.

I'm just annoyed considering the Z is usually in the shop a couple days at a time, and a week for the transmission. Getting rides backa dn forth is inconvenient. And the first dealership I went to, I brought it there 3 separate times and they coudl not "repeat" my problems. It was a load of horsesh1t.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:46 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I wish I owned an '05 Z. I have an '03, and have had tranny problems, tire feathering, grease streaks, windshield wiper motor wore down to bare metal, rear trunk latch won't open right (takes 2 or 3 tries), have to take it in because i'm within the vin range of the faulty crank position sensor (which is classified as a recall). Also, my flywheel has been chattering alot when my foot is off the clutch and i'm out of gear, ever since they replaced my synchros.
I have an 03 also and have had most of the issues that you've had. I'm on my third transmission (first one went 6000 miles, second one made it to 15000, and the 008 tranny that I have now has been fabulous ever since and I now have 39000 miles). I had grease streaks, tire feathering, and the rear hatch issues, but they've all been resolved and I couldn't be more happy with the car now. I've owned first model year cars from different manufacters and let me tell you, I knew what I was getting myself into and it ended up A LOT better than previous experiences.

The "flywheel chatter" that you're experiencing is not flywheel chatter, it's bearing noise from the new transmission they put in your car (Nissan doesn't change synchros, they replace transmissions). It's COMPLETELY normal and my Z does it too. It's what you get when you have a heavy duty transmission with beefier bearings. Every Z I've been around has it too. Ever driven a C5 vette? They have it worse than the Z's.

I'm just annoyed considering the Z is usually in the shop a couple days at a time, and a week for the transmission. Getting rides backa dn forth is inconvenient. And the first dealership I went to, I brought it there 3 separate times and they coudl not "repeat" my problems. It was a load of horsesh1t.
If you're that annoyed, then sell your car or trade in on an 05. Don't just sit here and complain about it.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:19 PM
phile

I have an 03 also and have had most of the issues that you've had. I'm on my third transmission (first one went 6000 miles, second one made it to 15000, and the 008 tranny that I have now has been fabulous ever since and I now have 39000 miles). I had grease streaks, tire feathering, and the rear hatch issues, but they've all been resolved and I couldn't be more happy with the car now. I've owned first model year cars from different manufacters and let me tell you, I knew what I was getting myself into and it ended up A LOT better than previous experiences.

The "flywheel chatter" that you're experiencing is not flywheel chatter, it's bearing noise from the new transmission they put in your car (Nissan doesn't change synchros, they replace transmissions). It's COMPLETELY normal and my Z does it too. It's what you get when you have a heavy duty transmission with beefier bearings. Every Z I've been around has it too. Ever driven a C5 vette? They have it worse than the Z's.

If you're that annoyed, then sell your car or trade in on an 05. Don't just sit here and complain about it.

If I could trade it in for a reasonable price, I would. I gave a couple dealers the whole sales pitch. I told them I know how much profit they make off of used cars (especially when certified). I threw every bit of information at them I knew of. The general manager told me in all honesty that they look to make around $6000 on a trade-in like the one I was looking for (from an 03 performance to an 05 base!), and asked me if I wanted a job. My Z had 13K miles on it, so of course I did not make any deal.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 AM
methylal

I can see the perspective of a person who purchased the car new and all the problems driving them crazy. I'm very **** and refuse to buy a "BRAND NEW" car for the fact that I will worry about every little thing. Whereas, if I buy a used car, I take it for what it's worth and 'accept' certain things.

From my perspective of buying a used '03, I LOVE IT. I got a new transmission, new clutch, I'm about to get new window regulators, and may have the cloth on the seats replaced due to fraying. Like a brand new car. I've owned it for 2 months. It was bought in Sep '02 and I bought it end of March '05. It only has 12-13k on it.

--meth
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
stopgo

This is sort of a strange question but I know you guys will be able to help.

I just picked up my '03 Touring MT from the dealership service center on Friday night. It had been in for routine maintenance and a new (third) tranny. It took three weeks, during which time a third and then fourth transmission were installed because the techs heard some unusual noise from under the car after the third one went in.

I've only driven the car the 8 miles or so from the dealership to my house but I noticed that while shifting gears I can move the shifter all the way to the right, past 5th and 6th gears toward reverse, without pushing down on the shifter. I honestly can't remember if this "feels" correct. I should think that the only range of motion the selector would have would be from under/over 1st and 2nd to under/over 5th and 6th gear; I should only be able to continue moving it to the right by pushing down and then into reverse, correct?

Does that make sense?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by stopgo
This is sort of a strange question but I know you guys will be able to help.

I just picked up my '03 Touring MT from the dealership service center on Friday night. It had been in for routine maintenance and a new (third) tranny. It took three weeks, during which time a third and then fourth transmission were installed because the techs heard some unusual noise from under the car after the third one went in.

I've only driven the car the 8 miles or so from the dealership to my house but I noticed that while shifting gears I can move the shifter all the way to the right, past 5th and 6th gears toward reverse, without pushing down on the shifter. I honestly can't remember if this "feels" correct. I should think that the only range of motion the selector would have would be from under/over 1st and 2nd to under/over 5th and 6th gear; I should only be able to continue moving it to the right by pushing down and then into reverse, correct?

Does that make sense?
I'll bet they reinstalled your shifter without the spring that keeps out out of reverse without pushing down on the shift ****. I did a clutch job on my car...and when you re-install the shifter you have to have everything just right or it doesn't work right. Take it back and complain.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:15 AM
stopgo

I'll bet they reinstalled your shifter without the spring that keeps out out of reverse without pushing down on the shift ****. I did a clutch job on my car...and when you re-install the shifter you have to have everything just right or it doesn't work right. Take it back and complain.
I *knew* this topic's resident Cubs fan would have the answer!
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:57 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by stopgo
I *knew* this topic's resident Cubs fan would have the answer!
Thanks for the input.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
NourZ

I have the following symptoms:

When the car is cold and I press the clutch it makes a sound just like when you pull your hand brake.
When it's warm it squeeks like and old spring matress.

When I drive very slow beside a wall I hear a sound "sounds like a rusty door being opened slowly"
Rattles from the tranny are getting louder "fly wheel?".

The thing is.. the car drives fine and no grinding in gears!! I called the dealer and they said that it might be some kind of bearings in the tranny "need new tranny", but they also said that if the clutch is worn it will not be covered under warrenty WTF.. anyone else had to change the clutch? was it covered?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:28 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by nourarnaout
I have the following symptoms:

When the car is cold and I press the clutch it makes a sound just like when you pull your hand brake.
When it's warm it squeeks like and old spring matress.
Sounds like your clutch pedal needs a lube job

When I drive very slow beside a wall I hear a sound "sounds like a rusty door being opened slowly"
Rattles from the tranny are getting louder "fly wheel?".

The thing is.. the car drives fine and no grinding in gears!! I called the dealer and they said that it might be some kind of bearings in the tranny "need new tranny", but they also said that if the clutch is worn it will not be covered under warrenty WTF.. anyone else had to change the clutch? was it covered?
You're just hearing normal 350Z bearing noise. As I've posted in this thread before...this is normal with heavy duty transmission parts. Unless you start hearing that sounds with the windows up while you're driving at 30+ mph, or the trans starts acting weird, it's just fine.

I doubt the sound has actually gotten louder..you just notice it more as time goes on. Especially when the car is fully warmed up. Mine makes near no noise at all when I cold start it...but once it warms up..it sounds like a cement mixer.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
NourZ

I changed to Redline MT-90 a month ago, but lately we've been getting a heat wave in Toronto. Could that cause this?

not to mention my cd changer stops working all of a sudden

I'm taking it in on friday.. I just wanted heads up on what to expect and argue about.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by nourarnaout
I changed to Redline MT-90 a month ago, but lately we've been getting a heat wave in Toronto. Could that cause this?

not to mention my cd changer stops working all of a sudden

I'm taking it in on friday.. I just wanted heads up on what to expect and argue about.
I also run Redline MT-90, but when I put it in I also installed a JWT flyhweel and clutch...so the increase in drivetrain noise is mostly due to the single mass lightened flyhweel. My trans defintely makes more noise in warm temperatures...so that might be why you hear it more.

I would complain that your clutch pedal is hanging up. It has nothing to do with the actual clutch. I would also complain about the CD changer. Unless your trans starts to malfunction, you probably won't get anywhere by complaining about it. All three transmissions that I've had in my car so far had bearing noise...along with every other 350Z I've driven.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.