Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:24 PM
albatross83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsb?

Is there a TSB on this problem? I've got grinding in 5th gear, and the dealer is trying to tell me it's from the way I'm driving it. On the test drive I shifted 2nd to 5th at ~50MPH because that's the easiest way to demonstrate the problem -- the higher the RPMs are above the perfect rev match, the more it grinds. Which indicates, to me, a synchronizer problem. It does it in a shift from any gear to 5th, as long as the difference in RPMs is significant enough. (e.g., if you're shifting at 2500RPMs the whole time, obviously the drop isn't going to be enough, and it you take more than 1/2 sec to shift, the RPMs have already fallen enough that it won't grind). If there's no TSB, I'm tempted to print out all 31 pages of this whole post and bring it in to the service department.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:24 PM
albatross83

Forgot to note, they claim to have no knowledge of a transmission issue. Should I just tell them to call corporate or...?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
350ztoronto

im having alot of problems going into 2nd and once in a while my 3rd grinds but i have an 05 roadster i thought they fixed this problem in the 05 models anyone else with an 05 experiencing these probs?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Miko

^^
I've heard that if your car was built in the Tochigi plant (you'll see an M before the serial number on VIN) you should have little if no problems.
I've heard people also saying that most of the problems arose in the Oppama plant (T in the VIN, before the serial #)
Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miko
^^
I've heard that if your car was built in the Tochigi plant (you'll see an M before the serial number on VIN) you should have little if no problems.
I've heard people also saying that most of the problems arose in the Oppama plant (T in the VIN, before the serial #)
Nissan doesn't actually build the transmissions, they are outsourced (either getrag or tremec..can't recall), so that's impossible.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Miko

Never knew that really; always thought that Nissan built the trans. I have heard that Nissan does make one of the best engines (v6) though.
About the trans, do you think that this was a quality trans or not? I also wonder if it changes from year to year?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 PM
bamyi

This is a great thread about the tranny problem and since it seems like the 05s are starting to grind and new threads poping up about it, I'm gonna bumb this thread for all to read.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:43 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Update...... I am awaiting new Tranny...
Old 10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
albatross83

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Update...... I am awaiting new Tranny...
Same here.. 04 Touring Roadster w/7500 miles. My service representative was giving me the runaround about the grinding, so I went straight to the service manager, who had me do a road test with the shop foreman. He agreed that there was a problem, so now I'm awaiting a new tranny and they're going to go ahead and throw in a new clutch as well (on their dime).

Also awaiting a new convertible top since the old one was coming apart at the seams in the rear corners.

Hopefully they give me a G35 for a loaner.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
dcmaxclub

Just got the car back 9/29/05

2003 350z 26,000 miles tranny replaced

1st tranny didn't grind at all, but there was a clunk noise at idle. 2nd tranny doesn't seem as smooth as the original, and the noise is still there.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:38 PM
dcmaxclub

Originally Posted by tofast2pass
Okay Ive had the car back and new tranny for about 1 week now. The new tranny rattles in 1st all the way up to 3100 rpms, and does it even worse in reverse. WTF?! I know this is now a common problem, but how do I fix it? The new tranny seems to Slips/Shakes/Chatters/Vibrates sometimes when under hard acceleration, I mean when it does it, its bad. Bad enough for me to instantly let off the gas and push in the clutch. It doesnt do this all the time only 3 times as of now. But dont tell me that this is normal! Because its not! Should I take it back into the dealer, or still give it a couple of weeks. Do these remanufactured transmissions need to break in or what?
mine 'chatters' a lot when I engage or release the clutch. I'm taking it in tomorrow, and will let you know what they say.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by dcmaxclub
Just got the car back 9/29/05

2003 350z 26,000 miles tranny replaced

1st tranny didn't grind at all, but there was a clunk noise at idle. 2nd tranny doesn't seem as smooth as the original, and the noise is still there.
The noise at idle is completely normal. You should hear a Z with an aftermarket flywheel...MUCH louder.

Corvettes, and M3s and many other sports cars have the same drivetrain noise at idle. It's due to the larger, heavy duty bearings in these transmissions. If your trans isn't grinding, there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:55 AM
dcmaxclub

ah well cars already in the shop for it

It is a pretty loud clunk - you can actually feel the car move when it happens. It seems like it's coming from behind the drivers side wheel. It's kind of random too, every now and then your sitting there and 'clunk.' Then quiet for maybe 30 seconds 'clunk clunk' then quiet again etc. If that sounds like what youre talking about let me know plz. thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

ah well cars already in the shop for it

It is a pretty loud clunk - you can actually feel the car move when it happens. It seems like it's coming from behind the drivers side wheel. It's kind of random too, every now and then your sitting there and 'clunk.' Then quiet for maybe 30 seconds 'clunk clunk' then quiet again etc. If that sounds like what youre talking about let me know plz. thanks
Actually...I know exactly what you're talking about. Go drive your car until it's fully warmed up and then let it idle..and go behind your car and put your ear by one of your exhaust tips. I guarantee you'll hear that "clunk" through your exhaust tips. It's something about the way that our car idles and the motor makes a clunk or "popping" sound through the exhaust every once in a while at idle. It might be timing or fuel related...but either way it's completely normal. I've heard multiple Z's make that noise.

At first I thought it was coming from my trans too...until I was on the dyno one day and noticed that the clunk correlated with the sound from the exhaust.

It's definitely not a transmission issue.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
dcmaxclub

ah, thanks. I'll let the dealer know. They originally thought it was some bearings in the trans, and replaced it. I'd rather not have them screwing around in there for something normal.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:49 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

ah, thanks. I'll let the dealer know. They originally thought it was some bearings in the trans, and replaced it. I'd rather not have them screwing around in there for something normal.

Yea...tell me about it...I know how much dealers can mess stuff up when they are trying to fix something.

350Zs have a lot of bearing noise from the trans, but I've yet to hear of any bearing failures. You should be good to go.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:52 AM
-miltdoggie-

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the tranny replace due to grindage of third gear...
Old 10-08-2005, 07:14 AM
NzZ

Mine doesn't grind going into 3rd...but it makes a spinning sound almost like a blowoff valve. It's not too loud, but with AC and radio off you can hear it. Took it to the dealer, he said wait until it grinds constantly and then he'd be willing to work with me. He also said he thinks it's a synchronizer and the problem was caused by a missed shift (I have never missed a shift in this car). What do you guys recommend?

NzZ
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by NzZ
Mine doesn't grind going into 3rd...but it makes a spinning sound almost like a blowoff valve. It's not too loud, but with AC and radio off you can hear it. Took it to the dealer, he said wait until it grinds constantly and then he'd be willing to work with me. He also said he thinks it's a synchronizer and the problem was caused by a missed shift (I have never missed a shift in this car). What do you guys recommend?

NzZ

You don't have to lie....EVERYBODY misses shifts. I've been driving stick for a very long time and I still miss a shift every once in a while....but missing one shift will NOT ruin a synchro.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:43 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

*Update*

As promised, I wanted to inform my Z brothern the outcome of my latest tranny dibaucle...

New Tranny and Clutch Disc installed today. DAMN...... What a fokin humongous difference it makes... AGAIN! I am now convinced that Nissan has/had a tremendous flaw in these/certain TRANNYS:

They are are obviously internally not stable/solid for extended periods! And Nissan refuses to allow local shops to break down/inspect the problematic ones! They just say "send it back" and install the new one. For me that is equal to over $7k in parts and labor! But fortunately not on my tab. Well.... I seriously doubt I will have my Z much longer or enough time for this problem to resurface.

Big thanks to Nissan for resolving the issue yet again.

And a Big thanks to my dealership and staff for being responsive and professional in fixing my ride.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.