Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine
Nissan was adjusting the push rods, and they had tried alligning the shifter differently, and then they tried replacing components inside the trans, and then eventually it seemd that it was just a little bit of something making this not work right they just started replacing the trans outright, and gave up on trying to "fix" them.

I'm assuming they tear down the "bad" trans, build them as "new" and try it again.....

Makes me wonder who designed the manual tranny , Nissan, or the other half of the company Renault. They should have found the best manual tranny for the 350's price range and hired the engineer team that designed it.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by Santos Uy
does anyone know what generation tranny they are using on the 06 models?
I think they are using 009.

I can't believe Z's are still having an issue with tranny? I thought with 009 tranny, it was all fixed.

What the H_LL is going on with Nissan?

Thank god my Roadster is not having too much issue. I have 008 tranny on my Roadster which was swaped about a year ago. Its little knochy going from 1st to 2nd but its not as bad as my previous 03' Z which I returned back to Nissan.

The only thing that irritates me now is a really loud rattle which rattle for about 1-3 sec and goes back to regular rattle right when I release the clutch when coming to a stop.

When will this end. NISSAN, ARE YOU GUYS READING THIS?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by DAYTONA-ZED
Makes me wonder who designed the manual tranny , Nissan, or the other half of the company Renault. They should have found the best manual tranny for the 350's price range and hired the engineer team that designed it.

I thought Nissan 350Z trannys were made by Getrag (German Company known for making a great tranny except for the one on 350Z's )

I heard that Audi's uses same tranny.

At lease thats what I heard.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:51 AM
HulkSmash

Hey there -
I'm just looking at this thread for the first time, and I have a new twist on this problem with Z trannys.
My car is an 03 touring model. Never had any problem grinding in 2nd, 3rd or any other gear. The original transmission (I assume original, I bought the car used w/ 8700 miles on it) after around 29 or 30k miles gradually became impossible to shift into 5th gear. Took it to Courtesy Nissan in Irving, they changed it out no questions asked (i had seen them a few times before with the tire feathering problem)
Then a different problem: the damn thing started to FALL OUT of 5th gear on a fairly regular basis almost immediately. Seems to happen on deceleration when in 5th, around 3000 rpm. Called them back, again, no questions, put the third tranny in the car. STILL falls out of 5th. I have since had the car back in the shop 3 more times, each time to adjust some kind of shift plate. They have adjusted this thing the full range possible, still falls out of 5th. Now, the plate is too far forward, and sticks going into 5th or 6th if gearshift is pushed too far right. Now, we are waiting to hear from the "techs" (They use the term very loosely) on what to try next. The dealership doesn't have a clue what to do now. I have one: BUY THE F****** THING BACK!
Anyone else having a problem with the transmission falling out of any gears?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:19 PM
bcheng4jc

i went to my dealer the other day for 3rd gear grinding. they're ordering me a new transmission and a clutch disc assembly (Disc assy - clutch - 30100-cd019). are they suppose to replace the WHOLE clutch assembly (including Flywheel assy - 12310-cd001, cover assy - clutch - 30210-cd020 and bearing release-30502-69f10) or only the disc assembly?

Last edited by bcheng4jc; 01-19-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:46 AM
xProbeGTx

I just had my Transmission replaced for my Z Track model. I had the grind shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Car was bought and problem and was fixed by Morninside Nissan, Toronto Canada. They replaced the tranny as well as clutch & clutch pedal. The transmission feels great and the overall feel of the way it goes into gears now feels 100% better than even when the car was first bought. I thank Morningside Nissan for their knowledge and quick reaction to resolve the problem.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Hey there -
Called them back, again, no questions, put the third tranny in the car. STILL falls out of 5th. I have since had the car back in the shop 3 more times, each time to adjust some kind of shift plate. They have adjusted this thing the full range possible, still falls out of 5th. Now, the plate is too far forward, and sticks going into 5th or 6th if gearshift is pushed too far right. Now, we are waiting to hear from the "techs" (They use the term very loosely) on what to try next. The dealership doesn't have a clue what to do now. I have one: BUY THE F****** THING BACK!
Anyone else having a problem with the transmission falling out of any gears?
Wonder if those are re-built trannies, or factory fresh units?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:50 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

My tranny has always had a 1st to 2nd notchy shift until it warms up then its fairly smooth. All the other shift points are ok for now.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:49 PM
LIdrew

Ok everyone, My Z is going in the shop next week for tranny #3!! Its and 03 Touring. Original tranny replaced at 17k miles and now needs another at 27K miles. I'm seriously thinking about dumping the car, but I still do have another 2.5 years under warranty(have an extended) I don't want to Mod this stock car if I am not keeping it. I want a car to last me over 10 years and the Z should be it if not for this problem. If they have to replace it again after this, can I get Nissan to buy it back?? I think I want an 06 but I will get raped on the trade! Damn!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

A few questions... Are the Z owners that have had trannies replaced in the past still having these problems? You would think they might actually fix something around replacement #3-ish... What do you guys plan on doing once the warranty is up? Does it make sense at this point to buy an 04 z and expect it to actually last?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:42 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezekiel 25:17
A few questions... Are the Z owners that have had trannies replaced in the past still having these problems? You would think they might actually fix something around replacement #3-ish... What do you guys plan on doing once the warranty is up? Does it make sense at this point to buy an 04 z and expect it to actually last?
My opinion and experience after 3 transmissions:

1. Yes

2. You would think so.

3. Sell the car.

4. Keep it until the warranty expires.

I LOVE the car. Too bad PeeWee Herman engineered the tranny.

Not only could it last longer, shifting the damn thing is about the worst manual transmission experience I've ever had. None of my 3 trannys shifted smoothly or like I'd expect. (I've owned 4 and driven many manual transmission vehicles.)
Old 02-01-2006, 09:11 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Yes, yes....... A truly discerning issue to say the least with an otherwise INCREDIBLE all-around vehicle. Since I am on # 3 and I just hit 50k (had my car since Sep 02') my plan is to sell it sometime this year, just for more room and comfort. I just can not comprehend this still being an issue? I bet if this were on DATELINE or 20/20, Nissan would remedy the shiz!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
pavster

I refuse to buy the Z because of this issue. Nissan, are you listening? I had $30k in my pocket and I walked away.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM
NourZ

Originally Posted by pavster
I refuse to buy the Z because of this issue. Nissan, are you listening? I had $30k in my pocket and I walked away.
nope they'r not listening.. good thing you walked away
Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

That blows! I was so psyched to get this car within the next few weeks or so... now I can't seem to be able to convince myself to get one. Guess I gotta search for another vehicle... suggestions?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:15 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my Tranny replaced. Have 47k on the car and third gear was grinding up shifting and down shifting to that gear. While they had the tranny out i also had them install the Nismo clutch and presure plate. The gears are really smooth now. I would have to say it feels better then when i first got the car back in Dec 02.

I have the JUN flywheel and before at idle i would hear alittle of the noise related to light weight flywheels, but that is gone now with the Nismo Clutch.

While i was paying the bill for the extra labor to install the clutch i noticed the final bill for the warrenty work. Total came to $2278 with parts and labor.

I will try to report back in a week to see if everything is still going good.

Later
Aceman
Old 02-02-2006, 04:17 AM
LIdrew

I'm taking my Z in Sunday night drop off for tranny replacement. As I said before this is the 3rd tranny counting the original that came with the car. I have read that the 008 tranny is the most current and solves the problem, however looking through my service records shows me that they put an 008 in over a year ago and it is now being replaced, unless the service record parts are not accurate. I'm probably just going to drive this car a couple more years until warranty expires and then trade it probably for a new Z because I LOVE THIS CAR! I really wanted to start modding it but probably not a good idea now. I guess I could transfer Mods to a newer Z when I trade.
Also, as ace was saying when you get the new tranny/clutch it is like driving a totally different car (until it breaks again) Feels much more powerful, clutch grabs gears hard, no grinding.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
HulkSmash

Originally Posted by LIdrew
Its and 03 Touring. Original tranny replaced at 17k miles and now needs another at 27K miles. I'm seriously thinking about dumping the car, but I still do have another 2.5 years under warranty(have an extended) I don't want to Mod this stock car if I am not keeping it. I want a car to last me over 10 years and the Z should be it if not for this problem. If they have to replace it again after this, can I get Nissan to buy it back?? I think I want an 06 but I will get raped on the trade! Damn!
First of all, after you sell the car, you can contact the extended warranty people and notify them that you sold it, they will refund money for miles not used on the extd. warranty. All this info should be on the back of the contract. I've done this before with other cars, no problem.
Second, why would you want to put another $35k in Nissan's pocket after they worked you over on this car? I will NEVER buy another vehicle from Nissan, even if they're selling rockets for $15. Luckily, I also bought an extended warranty which has me covered (except, of course, for suspension problems) up to 100k miles. Believe me, as soon as I can sell the car and not lose money doing it, it's gone. Meanwhile, it will keep showing up in the service dept. and I will make myself a #1 pain in the *** to Nissan by bringing it back every time any little thing goes wrong, and cost them as many $$ as I can. I figure they've already put $10-15k back in the car: 2 new tires, 2 tire rotations, 3 alignments, 1 window motor, 2 transmissions, 2 clutches, 3 trans. adjustments, and going back this week for a shifter and "other" parts for the tranny, and will keep going back until they figure out how to stop it from falling out of 5th gear.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:05 AM
naptime

g35 owners doesn't have this type of problem at all?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Lemans350

Sure they do, it's the same transmission on the 6MT.

Quick Reply: Post here only if you have had your TRANNY replaced.