Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear subframe bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
speedracer05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear subframe bushings?

OK...

I have done the search on this and tech....

I have an 04 touring....
With the issues of the rear end, I took a look....
I had a 1994 bmw E36 with the same issue of week rear subframe mounts...
the cure was aftermarket red UUC poly or soild. both fixed the issue(soild had vibration(just turned up the beat)).

When I took me tires off and took a look at our subframe mounts, I have seen the outer foot print of the bushings 3/16"-1/4" gap...not in contact with the surounding metal...the inner 3/4" sleeve is in contact.....this allows pivots, and movement that will cause issues....
If we had flush mount poly bushings with-in the torque spec for mounting.....It should remove our issues and give a positive feed back and better response........

Any input?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 PM
speedracer05

I know you nissan heads out there know what I am talking about....
I have done the search and did find the fluid filed bushing issue with where the final drive mounts to the subframe.....but I am talking about the subframe mounts to the chasis(body). there is a problem with the design there also......
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think SPL sells stronger subframe bushings. Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.splparts.com/main4/parts/...me/default.htm
Old 11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
speedracer05

Thank you mthreat,
but this is the fix for the diff to frame mounts this is the fix for the fuild filled diff bushings..
I am looking for subframe to chasis bushings.........the diff is mounted into a subframe, the subframe is then mounted to the car. According to to energy suspensions they have a complete product line for the 350z coming out to the public in mid 2009, but I would think there should be others already on the market now.......I'm goin to keep looking on other forums........If not I'll just make my own with urethane...

But thanks for that link.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All I've ever seen are subframe "spacers" from Yashio Factory and Ikeya Formula. I am also looking into this as I will be replacing my cracked rear subframe this winter.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Kwame

Yashio Factory:

Last edited by Kwame; 11-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
speedracer05

The rigid aluminum subframe that we have doesn't have much flex......
I am a sturctural steel Inspector on construction projects. Anyway, the composite material that we have is brittle, when movement is subjected it cracks...The bushings at these points allow movement.....not good.....I thought about removing the tit(for lack of a better term) the center section that is about 3/4" vs. O.D.of 3" to give a flush mount..

I don't know yet..

Anyone?????
Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Speedracer, my 04 had major problems with the rear of the car, ie it physically couldn't hold a wheel alignment even from brand new. As you say the rear subframe bushings being the culprit (excessive compliance). Now here's the interesting thing, the part number changed a bit under a year ago. I changed out the original rear subframe, and problems gone, well bar replacing an axle assembly too due to "unusal axial looseness".

Visually when you put the old subframe and the new together there are no really slug you over the head obvious differences, but pop a bar in there and do a comparison and there is, not huge, but definitely a difference. And gee gizz the Z can even hold a wheel alignment now.

Would be very interested to see what answers others come up with.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Hey Speedracer, my 04 had major problems with the rear of the car, ie it physically couldn't hold a wheel alignment even from brand new. As you say the rear subframe bushings being the culprit (excessive compliance). Now here's the interesting thing, the part number changed a bit under a year ago. I changed out the original rear subframe, and problems gone, well bar replacing an axle assembly too due to "unusal axial looseness".

Visually when you put the old subframe and the new together there are no really slug you over the head obvious differences, but pop a bar in there and do a comparison and there is, not huge, but definitely a difference. And gee gizz the Z can even hold a wheel alignment now.

Would be very interested to see what answers others come up with.
Please elaborate, so you swapped your 04 rear subframe for what? as in what did you put in its place?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
speedracer05

Hey Bronzee.

The replacement subframe...Is the bushing mounting changed for seat depth, mount angle, or something like 5 deg. pitch angle?
Thank you for responding, I know something is wrong with the engineering on these subframes........It seams to me like just some polyurethane bushings that have full surface area contact would do the trick...but you did replace the sub and the issues are gone. I am glade it worked out for you.

Last edited by speedracer05; 11-22-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: What year is the replacement sub from?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:20 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Please elaborate, so you swapped your 04 rear subframe for what? as in what did you put in its place?
I replaced it with a stock subframe, but it's the updated model/with the updated part number/therefore slightly changed. At the time there were no other options apart from stock. But the new one is fine, the car now holds alignments which it hasn't been able to do since I purchased it new in 2004. It now handles properly.

With my Zed was a combination of the stuffed axle, excessive compliance in the bushes and very excessively harsh suspension, + other major things all combined a driving nightmare. Each problematic part has been changed out one by one, ensuring that each problem was eliminated systematically.

Originally Posted by speedracer05
The replacement subframe...Is the bushing mounting changed for seat depth, mount angle, or something like 5 deg. pitch angle?
Thank you for responding, I know something is wrong with the engineering on these subframes........It seams to me like just some polyurethane bushings that have full surface area contact would do the trick...but you did replace the sub and the issues are gone. I am glad it worked out for you.
When you just look at the original one and the updated one, visually you can't see any difference, so one would guess changes to be very minimal.

Probably the only people that could answer your question 1000% precisely would be Nissan, and that's not about to happen as when I asked Nissan they didn't care to explain (can you imagine the cost of recalls). I've spent a heck of a lot of money taking it too the best tuners etc, using a lot of data, doing a lot of research, whilst the car was still under warranty.

If you swap out the existing rear subframe for the updated part numbered one, you should notice an immediate difference. I certainly did.

When I was trying to resolve all the issues, there were quite a few others I found that were having the same problems, but they just gave up and sold their cars. Not my style, I see things to the end.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
speedracer05

I am the same way, I work on and drive my my car so I know how things are and how they should be.

Thanks for the imput, I will be checking in to this, And My 04 is still under warrenty so this should be a good long fight. unless they will recognize the updated part number...Yea like that' gona happen
Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

I am the same way, I work on and drive my my car so I know how things are and how they should be.

Thanks for the imput, I will be checking in to this, And My 04 is still under warranty so this should be a good long fight. unless they will recognize the updated part number...Yea like that' gona happen
My Z was still under warranty when I first logged problems with the dealer, and an ensuing long battle with Nissan NZ, Nissan Australia (which is HQ for Nissan NZ), and Nissan Japan. Our laws surrounding automotive disputes are rather feeble in comparison to most states in the US.

I still have the original rear subframe if that helps at all, I know you really want measurements from the updated subframe.

Even with everything I've been through with my Z, I still love my car and get a thrill out of driving it every time, even 4 years, 7 months later, wouldn't have it any other way.

Very much looking forward to a very positive resolve and response from Nissan your end of the world. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

ps. Kwame are you able to help us with any technical information???
Old 11-23-2008, 03:51 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
ps. Kwame are you able to help us with any technical information???
I wish I could, but this is all news to me.

Looking through Courtesy Nissan's parts catalog I do see that they have two rear subframes listed but they don't ever list official Nissan part numbers and they have both subframes listed for all Z33 model years.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[55400]+\(z33&cPath=714_715_800_804

I too, like everyone else, would like to know the differences between the two and exactly why Nissan made a revision if they did.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I wish I could, but this is all news to me.

Looking through Courtesy Nissan's parts catalog I do see that they have two rear subframes listed but they don't ever list official Nissan part numbers and they have both subframes listed for all Z33 model years.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[55400]+\(z33&cPath=714_715_800_804

I too, like everyone else, would like to know the differences between the two and exactly why Nissan made a revision if they did.
On my invoice from Nissan dated November 2007 for the rear subframe I ordered to replace the original one, the part number listed is 55400CD02A, Member Compl-Re.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

One would summise that the cheaper of the two listed on Courtesy Nissan, is the original component number, the other theoretically being the superseded/updated one.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:23 PM
speedracer05

Well..
For those of use that don't have $600 for a new OEM subframe...
I will be making my own urethane bushings that have full contact bering on the mount and will update soon.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Thanks to google just found the two part numbers:
http://nissan4u.com/parts/350z/us_z3...llustration_2/

See number 9.

Copied and pasted from website, as above.
"55400CD020
alternate: 55400CD02A"
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Well..
For those of use that don't have $600 for a new OEM subframe...
I will be making my own urethane bushings that have full contact bering on the mount and will update soon.
If you're still under warranty, hit up your dealer. There's very plainly two completely different part numbers.

Quick Reply: Rear subframe bushings?